Neurological Surgeons, Neurologist (brain, nervous system)
Video profile
Bethesda
Washington Brain & Spine Inst
4927 Auburn Ave
Ste T50
Bethesda, MD 20814
301-718-3485
Locations and availability (3)

|  Doctor's Support Staff at Medstar  |  show details
by Joe Cohoon on May 13th, 2014

The office staff needs to re-evaluate their procedures. I called to make an appointment, and the person who answered asked me to fax her a copy of my referral from Kaiser, which I did. It was not so easy. Like most people, I do not own a fax machine, so I had to go out and pay to have it faxed. After my appointment, I received a bill for the full amount for the office visit. Although the bill listed my insurance carrier, the bill came directly to me. I called my insurance carrier (Kaiser), and a very helpful person told me that the bill should NOT have been sent to me. While I was on hold, she called the doctor's umbrella organization. As it turns out, the doctor had sent the original bill to the wrong insurance company, so it was not paid. Then, they were very quick to bill me. So, she told me to ignore the bill, and Kaiser would pay. I asked her if Kaiser had sent a copy of the referral to the doctor early on. She said yes, a copy had been sent to the doctor the same day as the copy was sent to me. Now, I realize doctors need to focus on their craft, but they also need to pay attention to their business practices to avoid stressing out and wasting time of their patients. So, I give the doctor's staff a grade of F, and Kaiser's staff an A.

|  L5-S1 Anterior and Posterior Discectomy and Spinal Fusion  |  show details
by Bruce Wagner on Apr 21st, 2014

I have been dealing with the issues of my bad back for over 6 years. The first surgery I had was preformed by an Orthopedic surgeon and though he just removed the herniation I did receive some relief. I found the first surgeon unresponsive after the surgery and maybe it was because he created additional nerve damage in my left leg thru his manipulation of the nerves during the surgery. After months of waiting, more tests from other specialist, and my own research it came down to doctors error, permanent condition and oh, so sorry. At this point I still have the primary issues with back and now a new issue with my leg so I begin the search again. Now after many of conversations with doctors, patents and the like it was advised to me to use a neurosurgeon for any future endeavors. Based on wanting a neurosurgeon my research lead me to Dr. Aulisi. My first appointment was down in Northwest Washington with the follow up in Chevy Chase. What I realized with both meeting was Dr. Aulisi is a very astute and skilled doctor but his staff is very lacking at times and when I say times I mean most times. But don't hold their lack of professionalism back from your choice to have this doctor help you. If you go into this knowing this information and that you will need to do the front staffs work for them. Than you will be leaving with what matter most for you and if you are like me than that means no more pain. Even though it has only been a few weeks since I've had my surgery I am so looking forward to having my life back. I had to submit a rating for the follow up because the system required it. Otherwise I would not have given a rating for the follow up because I have not had a follow up with Dr. Aulisi yet. Although it is finally scheduled, with help from me this is ok because I have been seeing my primary physician from the beginning. Who by the way took out my staples with the Dr. Aulisi's approval. Dr. Aulisi I take my hat off to you, if I wore a hat. The best! The best! The best! I can't say this enough. Thank you so much!!!

|  mom/PT  |  show details
Apr 21st, 2014

Dr. Aulisi was very thorough, professional and kind. I highly recommend him!

|  Patient  |  show details
by John M. on Dec 20th, 2013

Dr. Aulisi was noted as the follow-up doctor to contact after having emergency treatment for a head injury. Dr. Aulisi was not the emergency room doctor that tended to my needs, but again was noted for follow-up questions and appointments. His staff stonewalled me from speaking to Dr. Aulisi, which I found to be completely unacceptable and a discourtesy to a patient. A very unfortunate conclusion to what was an otherwise exceptional and expert response by the Washington Hospital emergency, neurology and ophthalmology team. Unfortunately for me, Dr. Aulisi's team is less responsive to patient need. All I had was a very simple question that could have been answered if the receptionist had the wherewithal to put me in contact with the Doctor.

|  Good dr if he doesn't cancel your appointments  |  show details
Jun 26th, 2013

Dr Aulisi came highly recommended by a friend. He seemed like a very caring dr the first time I saw him. Of course my appointment was canceled twice before I could see him for the first time. That should have been a sign. His diagnosis was correct and the operation was successful. However, the post surgery appointments have been canceled 75% of the time. I understand that he can be called in for emergencies but I have never worked with a surgeon before who cancels on you so many times. Makes you feel that he only thong he cares about is to operate on one more patient. If he would have understood that other people need to rearrange their lives to come to another dr appointment (which maybe canceled again and again), I would have given him much better rating.

|  EXCELLENT  |  show details
by STEPHANIE on Jun 12th, 2013

DR. AULISI IS A WONDERFUL DOCTOR IN HIS PROFESSION! I WAS MEDEVACED TO WASHINGTON MEMORAL HOSPITAL IN WASHINGTON DC, I WAS INVOLVED IN A CAR ACCIDENT. I SHATTERED MY SKULL IN THE TOP LEFT SIDE OF MY HEAD AND ALSO THE LEFT SIDE OF MY FOREHEAD. DR. AULISI DID EMERGENCY SURGERY WHERE HE PUT 16 PLATES IN MY HEAD. DR. AUSILI, SAVED MY LIFE, I WOULDN'T THINK TWICE ABOUT RECOMMENDING HIM TO ANOTHER PERSON OR GOING BACK TO HIM MYSELF!!

by Fernando O on May 19th, 2013

Fantastic personal service. Everything was well explained and my procedure while complicated was handled in a most professional fashion.

by Michael P. on Mar 28th, 2013

Dr. Aulisi is a highly competent surgeon with an exceptional bedside manner. I doubt I could have received better care from anyone.

|  Bad response time after the surgery is completed  |  show details
Feb 19th, 2013

It seems that after the surgery is completed, that you are on your own, if there is complications with pain. An you call his office, there may be many days before you here back, that is if they call back. Even if you get a call, then you may not get to see him for months. After he is paid for the surgery, then good luck.

|  Economist  |  show details
by Maricruz MaGowan on Feb 1st, 2013

Dr. Aulisi is an excelent surgeon that doesn't use surgery as a first option, but as a last opcion. he is very knowledgeable and easy to talk to.

Jul 30th, 2012

Dr. Aulisi is very caring. He explains things to you and answers any questions. He is very professional and spends time with you. He makes you feel like he cares and wants to make you feel better. He is top notch!

|  Fabulous doctor, but too much in demand  |  show details
May 23rd, 2012

Dr. Aulisi is a wonderful neurosurgeon, and I trust him completely. He is not "knife happy," but when I do need surgery, he is the man I trust to do it. My only complaint is that, as Chief of Neurosurgery at the Washington Hospital Center, the demands on his time are tremendous, and the waiting time in his office is unreasonable. On my last follow-up visit, I left after waiting over 90 minutes, and realizing there were still 4 people ahead of me. His office staff never told the patients how far behind schedule he was, or tried to call people to warn them of the delays. The scheduler apologized, but she could not give me back my lost time. Dr. Aulisi did call me to discuss the matter, but it's not the same as a face-to-face visit. So, if you have lots of time and are prepared to wait, he is worth seeing. Fabulous doctor, great personality, but too popular.

|  Kudos to Care, Follow-up, Knowledge and Ability  |  show details
by Maria Smarrelli on Aug 19th, 2010

Not sure why these others are alleging poor follow-up. I had excellent care. Dr. Aulisi performed 2 back surgeries on me in a period of 2 weeks and both were very successful. Not only did I have excellent care, I also had excellent follow-up. Each and every time I called post-surgery, I ALWAYS received a call back from whichever doc was on call. Each doc was VERY concerned and every one of them provided the immediate and necessary care; they didn't fool around, they were on it.Regarding the office staff; I can't imagine publicly alleging a staff person or office manager of "lying" with no basis for your accusations - sounds more like the patient is angry and frustrated and perhaps is taking that out, unfairly, on Dr. Aulisi and his staff.Finally, I was not only impressed by the care that I received from Dr. Aulisi, but I was able to go through my surgeries, which were emotionally trying for me, with confidence because of HIS confidence that he has in himself as a neurosurgeon - it definitely gives the patient a sense of ease that you are in good hands, which I was. Maria Smarrelli

|  bad follow up care  |  show details
Aug 8th, 2010

I would have to agree with the last review. They have canceled our follow up appt 4 times now and I refuse to reschedule. They receptionist lies and the office manager talks out of both ends when trying to solve your problem. Its as if the Dr. doesnt care once he gets paid

|  Excellent Doctor but lacks follow up care  |  show details
Apr 28th, 2008

Dr. Aulisi peformed my surgery which I was quite pleased. When you actually get him, he does spend adequate time with you to answer all of your questions and explains everything in detail. His medical reports are quite impressive and pretty much verbatim given that he doesnt take notes during your appointment time. However, after your surgery good luck trying to get a hold of him if you have a problem. He or his office does not return phone calls. I wrote a complaint letter and it took over a month for his staff to respond.