Dr. Edward Benton Is this you?

2 Ratings • 1 Comment

3.0

Have you seen Dr. Edward Benton?

Egotistical, inflexible and dangerous

Posted on February 20th, 2013

Through the years that I was under Dr. Benton's care, my mental anguish became progressively worse, escalating to the point that I was eventually confined for a month in Marie Green Medical Center, after I attempted suicide. Learning more about my condition, through opinions and advice by other physicians and nurses (my daughter-in-law, and two nurse friends), and my self study of medical publications, I suspected that I had been incorrectly diagnosed and was being treated for depression rather than for bipolar disorder, thereby shortening and deepening my mood cycles until suicide became a reality, I attempted to discuss my condition with Dr. Benton, who refused to hear me, coldly stating "I'm the doctor, no one else,and certainly not you." Continuing under his care, my condition again worsened to the point that I again considered suicide to escape the mental pain. Upon the advice of a nurse friend, I demanded a change in doctors, and I began seeing Dr. Elmer Ignacio. Dr. Ignacio discussed my research in depth and agreed that to re-examine my diagnosis, and began treating me for bipolar disorder. I have been under Dr. Ignacio's care for over 10 years, and have managed to cope with the death of my wife and the loss of my 40-year business as life changes that we all experience. I have not had a single episode of depression since that approached the pain that I had suffered under Dr. Benton's care, and feel blessed to have received such good medical care since changing psychiatrists. However, I realize that this review is not to summarize the care that I have since received, but rather to summarize my experiences with Dr. Benton. Therefore, in summary, I feel that the quality of care that I received from Dr. Benton was atrocious and inaccurate, and that his egotistical, inflexible attitude nearly cost me my life. I am convinced that had I not gotten away from his care, my life would have continued under tremendous emotional pain and a second suicide attempt would have been inevitable.

Posted on June 27th, 2015