Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Now Pain Free!!! show details Now Pain Free!!!
by Jodi on Jun 28th, 2015

I made an appointment with the Spine Institute after being diagnosed with a synovial cyst between my L4/L5. The cyst was pressing on my nerves and I had severe sciatic nerve pain down my right leg into my foot. I had been unable to sit, stand, lie down without terrible pain for 3 weeks and couldn't drive, so I missed work as well. Bill, the PA at the practice, saw me and reviewed my imaging tests. We tried aspirating the cyst and injecting steroid first. When this did nothing, I saw Bill again and we discussed surgery. I was desperate to get rid of the horrible pain. Bill worked immediately with the staff to get my surgery scheduled with Dr Dohring and we set an appointment for me to see him pre- surgery. They took x Rays and checked my spine stability. Even though I do have some disc degeneration from L3 down and a very slight spondolysthesis at L5, my back is stable and has never given me problems. Dr. Dohring was friendly, professional, and took the time to explain the procedure. He was surprised with my age since most people with synovial cysts are much older than 45! He explained the minor laminectomy to get to the cyst and remove it. He felt great about my prognosis and said that i would probably be pain free (from the nerve pain) immediately after surgery. I was happy to hear this!! He spoke with me on the morning of the surgery again and I felt confident in the plan. As soon as I woke up from the surgery, I could tell that the pain was gone!!! The nurse helped me get up to use the restroom an hour before I went home and while I was sore from the incision and procedure, I felt no nerve pain!!! I am now five days post-surgery and am thrilled to report that I am sciatic nerve pain FREE!!! I am recovering well, have some soreness and am following instructions on my restrictions and am careful to rest but also am doing my PT at home and walking. I can't thank Bill, Dr Dohring, Sarah, Heather, and the staff at the Spine Institute for helping me when I was in such horrible pain! Their warmth, attention to detail, and sense of urgency to help me was unbelievable! Thank you so much to all of you!! I am confident that once I am healed, I will be back to my pain free life that I had before that bothersome cyst!! Highly recommend this practice to anyone dealing with back pain.

Feb 28th, 2015

Great surgeon, spends as much time as you need to go over any procedure.

by Deborah A on Feb 24th, 2015

Excellent Physician and staff. Diagnosed my problem and provided the care I needed in expeditious manner allowing me to get back on my feet. Would highly recommend!!

Run for your life! show details Run for your life!
Mar 1st, 2013

Dr. Dohring is a horrible doctor, run for your life! He did a discectomy for me that failed horribly. I never saw Dr. Dohring after my surgery (he even sent a colleague to discharge me from the hopital) until I was 4 months post op, I always saw his PA. I had horrible pain for months before his PA finally decided to order another mri. The mri was done at the hopital and radiology place owned by Dr. Dohring. The radiologist, Dr. Dohring and his PA diagnosed me with scar tissue on my sciatic nerve. I went and got a 2nd and 3rd opinion and both of the doctors said I had a very large re-herniated disc. I'm really not sure why these so called healthcare professionals would lie about this, I have seriously considered hiring a lawyer. Thankfully I found a fantastic doctor and he was able to do a revision discectomy that is completely successful. I seriously wonder what the heck Dr. Dohring did during my surgery, if anything. The last time I saw him in his office I had to wait a very long time to see him, the door to my exam room was left open while I waited for him and I was able to watch his PA try over and over again to get his attention and update him on my case while he ignored him and just kept texting and/or playing with his cell phone.

patientpp show details patientpp
Jul 13th, 2012

he did my 2nd back surgery & I wouldn't trust any other doctor but him. I have degenerative disc disease and I have another disc going out & I will use him again.my first back surgery was done buy another doctor who was highly recommended and he totally jacked up my back, dr.dohring had to go in & fix it & did a wonderful job

May 8th, 2012

He is a workman's comp doctor and if you are being seen for workman's comp issues, I would seeking another doctor. Most of the visits too anywhere between fifteen minutes to an hour and a half just to be seen. If he is busy and/or stressed out, he rushes through exams and unless you are going to have sergury and can make alot of money off of you, he will pretty much tell you the same things over and over again and never really giving you answers. If something happens, he will not take responsibility for it and follows whatever workman's comp wants him to do. If you want medication refills you will have to spend at least two days on the phone trying to get a hold of someone. With the staff, only the squeaky wheels get the oil. There have been patients who was worse after surgery and went from walking to wheelchairs and this doctor washes his hands of them and say's there is nothing more he can do! Everyone has alot to say but never seems to listen. I'm sure he treats his regular insurance patients much better. The overall isn't good. It seems like the left hand has no clue on what the right hand is doing. Maybe as a surgeon he is good, but as a doctor, I think he need some refresher courses on bedside manner and overall patient care. He likes to throw statistics when he doesn't have an answer. The only one's I would highly recommend is his Physical therapist and PT staff. They are compassionate, empathetic, and genuinely seem to care. I am sure someone will dispute this because "God" wasn't placed upon his proper pedistool, but I hope you workman's comp people take this review seriously. Ask other's you will see what I say is true!

Skilled Surgeon, Attentive and helpful staff, great experience!! show details Skilled Surgeon, Attentive and helpful staff, great experience!!
Oct 6th, 2010

After seeing 3 spine docs in the valley (who all recommended surgery) a neighbor told me that he saw Dr. Dohring was a TOP DOCS for spine surgeons 2010 in Phoenix Magazine. Dr. Dohring was the only surgeon who suggested I try a more conservative approach to my back pain before considering spine surgery. Eventually surgery was recommended but at that point I felt completely comfortable undergoing surgery because of my time with Dr. Dohring and his staff. Dr. Dohring specializes in minimally invasive surgery and my scar, hospital stay, and recovery time were all much shorter than if I had gone with another surgeon who uses more "traditional" surgery techniques. Today I am living pain-free which is something I never thought I would say after living with back pain for so many years. He is a wonderful surgery and I owe my newfound quality of life to him! There is noone else like Dr. D or his staff, if you are suffering from back pain, this is the Doc you want and need to be seeing!

Aug 26th, 2010

I saw several surgeons and he was the only one who did not immediately try to get me to sign up for surgery. He spent time explaining several alternatives to surgery, which I pursued with significant improvement. Be3cause I do have some residual symptoms, we are now discussing the possibility of a minimally invasive surgery, where the other surgeons all had recommended a big scary fusion. I'm really glad I found this office.

by nancy mandelberg on Feb 20th, 2010

I was most impressed with his honesty regarding the worthiness of proceeding with surgury. My situation being difficult in that there was as much nerve damage as structural damage and getting an idea of the range of improvement that could occur before deciding was Dr. D's idea. I appreciated his realism about what could be done to improve my quality of living due to the pain. The doctor's support staff, his PE, Bill, Jill and Rake and others were all unbelievably accessible and arranged for tests immediately (due to my being from out of town). Tests that normally take several weeks to schedule were done in 2 days. I have nothing but good to say about this organization and how they operate. I have not yet been operated on by Dohring.