Dr. Edward Mackey Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Edward Mackey?

Posted on November 29th, 2016

Mackey is the best Dr. I have ever had. I'm 60 and have and multiple surgeries in many areas. He is compassionate and always spends the time to explain. If you look at the negative reviews of most drs. it is because of pain meds. Mackey is NOT a pill depot. He and his staff are the BEST. Yes, he is never on time. But if that's all I can say bad about him I can live with that.

Posted on September 19th, 2016

He is a very thorough doctor. He is very conservative with his treatment. He exhaust all options before surgery. I have sent many people to him. He is personable and cares way beyond what is expected. I travel a great distance to see him and would never see any one else. I TRUST him. (I trust few ) 😊👍👍

Pleasant experience.

Posted on May 23rd, 2016

Reading all these reviews can be scary. But I know personally that Dr. Mackey and his staff are wonderful, including his nurse. I know people have different experiences with each and every doctor they see. But Dr. Mackey is truly great. He is very busy and sometimes you do have to wait. I think that par the course when you visit any specialist, who is well liked. I would send anyone to see him and I have!!!

Greatest Doctor!!!!!!!

Posted on April 27th, 2016

He is the best. He saved my sanity and my life....

Posted on January 15th, 2016

Has helped me to have a second chance in life for that I am greatful thank you Dr Macky.

Posted on May 3rd, 2015

Great doctor and great service

Doctor's Response

We appreciate your time you took to share your experience. TOA is pleased to have you as a patient and thanks you for choosing us for your orthopaedic needs.

Non Responsive, Rude Nurses and Scheduling Staff

Posted on October 3rd, 2014

To be honest, I'm not sure how good Dr. Mackey is. He seemed knowledgeable and pinpointed my condition immediately. Unfortunately, I will be seeking another provider due to the non responsiveness of his nurse and scheduling staff. I was to have a procedure scheduled at the Dr's order, for which, I'd need a driver. I made the arrangements for a driver and called back to schedule the procedure. I did not receive a call back until 6 days later. Meanwhile, I ran out of pain meds which were helping to manage the pain through the treatment process. The call was returned by Katrina, Dr Mackey's nurse. She was very rude and condescending. She said someone else would call to schedule the procedure (for which I now had to make new arrangements for a driver). I then told her that I was out of pain meds, due to the lengthy wait for a return call, and would need more until the next office visit to manage my pain. She said that it was unlikely but she would discuss it with the doctor and call me back. It's now Friday afternoon, heading into the weekend, and I've yet to receive that call. Looks like I'll be cringing in this pain through the weekend. I'm done with this office.

Considerate

Posted on July 26th, 2012

I have been a patient of Dr. Mackey since 1999. He and his staff are wonderful, kind hearted, and listen well. Cannot say enough good things. He has done lower spine and cervical spine surgery on me... I drive three hours and would never think about going anywhere else!

Excellent

Posted on February 13th, 2012

Dr Edward Mackey has what it takes to get to the root of the problem. He waste no time to give you complete satisfaction ofa job well done.

Slow, Slow, Slow!

Posted on March 24th, 2011

Dr. Mackey and his staff have no concern for timeliness of appointments, returning phone calls or calling in prescriptions. It is so bad, that I cancelled my scheduled surgery with him and got another surgeon! You're better off somewhere else.

Saved my life & that of my Mother

Posted on March 18th, 2011

When I first consulted Dr. Mackey for a second opinion, I came to him from another very well known surgeon, from a very well known practice. I sought a second opinion because my current surgeon told me that he did not need the assistance of a neurosurgeon or the testing for neuropathy to rule those things out (I am diabetic) that I needed spinal surgery. I was of the opinion that a surgeon who is that "sure" of himself is bound to make a mistake at some point and I did not want me to be the mistake. So I sought a second opinion. I told Dr. Mackey I thought I was looking at some type of surgery as I had been dealing with chronic back pain and steroidial injections for 10 years with the knowledge that surgery was a last resort and that life quality had been compromised to the point that if this was a good as it got I was ready. I could no longer worship as I couldn't sit or stand. I couldn't attend my children's sporting events, couldn't do any family outings, my intimacy with my husband was compromised, every aspect of my life was compromised. Even work had become a daily challenge. Dr. Mackey was very thorough with his testing and before I told him why I was seeking a second opinion told me he would like me to rule out neuropathy as the source of the "bee sting" pain in my feet and know that in the event new MIR showed evidence of necessity for surgery that he did surgery with a neuro. Ultimately, he did perform my surgery. He told me I was looking at a 3 month recovery. I told him I did not have 3 months, in which to recover. He told me there simply was no way to safely recover more quickly. Long story short, he did my spinal fusion and laminectomy. I was back at work half days in one week, full days in the second week. This is not typical---no one should push their self to accomplish this...this was an individual result and truly a miricle but a true result nevertheless. Dr. Mackey and the Lord did this for me. In addition, after this happened in my life, my mother who lived in rural southern Tennessee, had had spinal surgery in Columbia Tennessee. After several years of rehabilitation and very little recovery her physician had written the orders for a wheel chair. She was very depressed when she phoned me with this news. I told her, "Mom, I know this is discouraging, and I know my results are very atypical, but won't you please just go talk to Dr. Mackey? See what he has to say? Maybe there is something he can do." She agreed to go see him. Some weeks later, Dr. Mackey performed a similar surgery on my mother. My mothers recovery was six or eight weeks but I'm pleased to say she walks, though she does experience pain--she does walk. She is not in a wheel chair. I continue a regular regime of exercise set forth by Dr. Mackey and physical therapist to keep my restored back in relately good health as part of a life long plan and that is an integral part of it but he truly saved my life and made it worth living. As with all things there are bad experiences. Me and my Mother are blessed to have had good ones with Dr. Mackey. I will continue to sing his praises.

Good luck with aftercare

Posted on September 3rd, 2010

While I do not question his ability as a surgeon, I think he is much more focused on the surgery than the aftercare. He is neither personable nor does he spend time with me. When I first went for evaluation, he looked at the test results,(on a screen out in the hall),was talking (out in the hall), & I was trying to manuver my way off the table to follow him. He said - you need surgery, think about it, I'll be back in a few minutes. Period. His clinical asst. is beyond rude. Very difficult to make contact with him or his asst. Sometimes it's been days after I left a message before she returned the call. They are both very short and to the point. Not what you're looking for when you are in pain and in need of some help, advice, direction, explanation.