Dr. Edward Soo Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Edward Soo?

November 16th, 2013

Brutal bedside manner

Dr. Soo was excessively pessimistic and did not know details of my wife's case. I was sleeping on the fold out bed in my wife's hospital room and awoke when Dr. Soo came by for a brief assessment--he was covering for our oncologist. I asked Dr. Soo how my wife was and he brusquely said, "she is dying." I recognize that she has Stage 4 breast cancer and do not expect her to live for many years, but it was a heartless slap in the face after a fitful night's sleep. He was not even aware of the medications she was on, and that she had not yet had chemo. To make such a harsh statement without knowing her case is unacceptable. Other doctors had more skillfully let us know the tough stuff, by providing numbers and statistical likelihoods. My wife, BTW, has been out of the hospital for several months now. She is weak, and still recovering, but very much alive.

September 13th, 2011

In memory of one of Dr. Soo's patients...

This is something I wanted to send for a long time. I'm posting this in memory of Cary Schaye, who was one of Dr. Soo's patients. Cary had an incurable blood cancer and at diagnosis was in a very tough place. He felt like all his treatment from the medical community had been a struggle EXCEPT for his relationship with Dr. Soo. He lived much longer than he, or any of us in his circle of friends expected, and he credits Dr. Soo, and his good doctoring, and faith in Cary, when no one else had it with his lengthy survival and quality of life. They had a partnership that was so important to Cary. Cary was one of our mentors on our similar cancer journey, and in all those five years, I heard nothing but his gratitude and admiration for Dr. Soo.

February 16th, 2017