Family Practitioner, Primary Care Doctor

Dr. show details Dr.
by V. McCarthy on May 26th, 2015

WRONG CLINIC IF YOU ARE CAUCASIAN! Upon calling my pharmacy for my bi-annual refill on my daily medication, I discovered that Dr. Spencer had failed to send over my prescription. The pharmacy attempted to contact the clinic to no avail, and then phoned me to let me know that I would have to contact them personally. I called the clinic and asked them about the prescription and was advised that I would have to come back in for another visit with the Doctor, less than six months after my previous visit in order to get a refill on my non-narcotic medication. I was very clear in stating that I had 3 days of medication and that I would have to see him soon in order not to miss a dosage. I did get a next day appointment and arrived on time, I waited for over 1.5 hours and then returned later that day. The LNP advised me of a some concerns and had blood work drawn, with the promise of a next day follow up and medication refill. I did not receive a follow up call the following day but could view my lab results via their online program. There were some abnormalities that any concerned health care professional would have followed up on immediately. Nor did she call in a refill of my medication. (the original reason for my visit) I have now gone 4 days without medication due to the extended Memorial Day weekend. Today I visited the clinic and was treatly rudely by the front desk attendant. I was then called back and met with Dr. Spencer in the hallway… where other staff members and patients were within hearing range. His first question was “what do you need me to do”. My response was obviously “a refill”. He then sent that over the pharmacy giving me a 90 day supply. Upon questioning the 90 day supply of a prescription that I normally get a year’s supply on, his response was “ I will give you 1 refill on this”. He then asked if there was anything else and I advised him that I had concerns over the abnormal lab work and the extremely low blood pressure. His response “it’s probably just anemia due to your periods." Needless to say I have not had a period in over 15 years ( I am of retirement age and well beyond those days). He then looked at me questioningly and says “and?”. To which I responded that could not possibly be the cause of my lowered blood pressure and abnormal blood tests. He then states “Oh you were probably just dehydrated” to which I said “that’s probably not it”. His response “Well how do you know if you were or not?” “I guess we just need to watch this and see how it goes”. At no time have I disclosed that I am a retired health care professional and that I might know a bit about my own health care considering I’ve lived in this body well over half a century. My disgust had reached its limit and I walked away determined to find a more caring primary care physician. Upon leaving the clinic I said “thank you” to the very rude front desk attendant and she then in turn looked me up and down and gave me a very condescending look. It was so obvious that another patient of color who had heard most of the conversations with the staff and doctor commented “Sister, you are the wrong color to be coming to this clinic, go find you a nice white doctor who will treat you right”. I have never in over 30 years of practicing health care ever viewed my patients by color etc. I’ve treated each and every one of them with the same care I would provide my own family members. I am what my sons call “old school” in that I don’t see colors or care about a person’s background, we treat them with dignity and respect. I will take that kind ladies advice and go elsewhere to a doctor who is better suited to see to my care, regardless of his or her color. And I will let the rest of the world do the same. If you are Caucasian or of another ethnicity outside of African American, then this practice is probably not the place for you to get quality health care.

Feb 17th, 2015

Not a hand holding doctor, very abrupt but very smart and excellent. Saved my life twice.

by Mary on Feb 18th, 2014

Dr Spencer has saved my life twice. Yes, he isn't a warm and fuzzy doctor but after he gets to know you a bit, he softens up. His job is to save your life not hold your hand. He is very knowledgeable and has a great staff. I've been seeing him for 3 years now. He expects you to take responsibility for your own health. He follows up when necessary and will give you a plan to succeed in your health goals if you let him.

by Phyllis DeAmicis on Oct 12th, 2013

Dr. Spencer was taking care of me for several reasons. I originally went to him for a severe migraine. At that time he put me on blood pressure medication, as well as cholesterol medication. He also prescribed a antibiotic. Several weeks later, on a follow up visit, he gave me a stronger antibiotic, amoxicillin. I did not realize this until I bought the prescription, and got home. It clearly states on my paperwork, in his office, that I am allergic to penicillin. Amoxicillin is derived from penicillin, and I cannot take it. His lack of checking his charts, could have cost me my life. I won't go back, or recommend him to anyone.

small business owner show details small business owner
by Phyllis H. DeAmicis on Sep 3rd, 2013

I went to the dr. on a Wednesday, unfortunately, I wasn't seen until Thursday, due to their hours. I got there right at closing. On Thursday, Dr. Spencer's staff, treated me courteously. This Dr. acted professionally, and humanely. I liked Dr. Spencer, and his bedside manner was very comforting. I hate to say this, because, it shouldn't matter, but I am 58 years old, and I am caucasian. This man is a gods Dr., and a good person. He will do you right.

Rude show details Rude
Jun 13th, 2013

The receptionist ( black lady) is very rude, she answered the phone in a nasty manor and instead of asking me my name she asked "who are you" twice . I went to Dr. Spencer because I don't have insurance , but I would rather spend more money for better service than less for horrible service she has answered the phone several times this way,and her demeanor in person is worse .

The Man Graduated from UT Medical School show details The Man Graduated from UT Medical School
by Raymond Hollabaugh on Mar 3rd, 2013

Yeah he's Black! But if anyone is going to Heaven he is. He's a Country Doctor and shoots from the hip. His bedside manner needs improving, but it improves the better you know him. I'm poor and he charges accordingly. Bless the man! He's the first Doctor that I have been able to afford in 30 years. He is in this business to help people and that is the highest praise that I have given anyone. Raymond Hollabaugh

This Man is Good! show details This Man is Good!
Apr 5th, 2012

I asked my father once why we did not live well since he was a Dentist. He said that if you want to make money go into banking. You go into this business because you want to help people.Dr. Spencer is a man like my father. Sure his bedside manner may need a bit of work, but the man is trying to make a living. He has about seven assistants to pay. He doesn't have time to make small talk.I don't have Insurance. If it were not for Dr. Spencer I could not afford health care. He exists to practice his art and not to make money.The man graduated from The University of Texas. You have to be one of the top scorers in the State just to be admitted to their Medical School.I am proud to say that Dr. Edward Spencer is my Physician. And I trust him, without question. with my life.R.H.

Dec 19th, 2011

Dr. Spencer has the worst bedside manner I have ever experienced. He acted as if he did not care and that I was wasting his time and did not even ask enough questions to determine the full extent of my medical problem.