Dr. Edward Tyson Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Edward Tyson?

September 14th, 2017

Caution: big ego alert

Lots of issues with this guy, starting with his ego. He generally spent half the session talking about himself and his accomplishments. He would bash every other provider I've seen in the past as well as treatment centers, telling me they didn't have my best interest in mind and were uneducated but then repeating the exact same things they said. It does not surprise me that someone else's review mentioned a family selling their farm for their daughter's eating disorder (he told me the same story when my family was struggling to pay for treatment) -he talks a lot about other patients. It was not uncommon for appointments to run 45 mins to an hour late b/c he spends so much time talking about himself and is generally very unprepared and doesn't remember anything about previous visits. To top it all off I really only went to b/c I needed someone to fill my prescriptions but he refused to give me more than a week or two worth of meds at a time so I had to set up an appointment every week or every other week. He would give me a certain criteria to keep my prescription but then would forget it and change it my following visit. Really DONT recommend.

July 28th, 2015

Alwful Doctor and associated Social Worker at Pente de Vida

ZERO STARS I has exactly the same experience as the Concerned Father Review and I would very much like to connect with him to take these charlatans to task. Avoid them as they have no ethics just money grabbing.

June 11th, 2014

One sick bastard !

No good! Beware!

June 29th, 2013

for involved parents of teens with eating disorders

Dr Tyson and his staff are friendly, courteous, prompt and professional. Our 15 year old daughter was in the early stages of anorexia and Dr Tyson provided a great starting point for diagnosing and treating her disease. Along with help from a counselor (K. Choe) and nutritionist (L. Mangum) who both had extensive experience treating eating disorders AND help from many books and websites, our family tailored an approach to healing our daughter that was quick, effective and physically & emotionally healthy. We couldn't have done this without Dr Tyson's help. He provided the medical facts and treatment approach that often is missing when treating these kinds of disorders. He helped our daughter understand the very real health dangers of letting this go untreated AND helped her understand in a non-threatening way that if she stepped up to the challenge of beating this disorder that she would be emotionally and physically stronger in the long run. 1 year later, we have "graduated" from his care. Our daughter has gained her strength, joyful personality, emotional health and much wisdom throughout this journey. We wouldn't wish it on anyone, but we have all grown so much, we are glad we went through it. His office staff was always cheerful, pleasant, kind and efficient. Our calls were always returned quickly. He always took time to talk to us, even if our appointments ran long. Sometimes we had to wait a bit for our appointment because he was with another patient. While some may think this is a great inconvenience, we did not, as we are thankful that he takes the time needed to treat each patient. Sometimes that means an appointment runs long, and sometimes it runs short. Once, after a bad experience with another provider, Dr Tyson even called us back after hours and spent 1+ hours on the phone talking us through the solution. That other provider ended up being one of my daughter's very favorites because Dr Tyson encouraged us to see it through. Warning: If you think you can take your child to see Dr Tyson and have him "fix" your child without your help and input, you may be in for a very long ride. Some teens have the ability to recognize a problem of this magnitude and fix it themselves, most do not. Beating this disorder takes a "village" and the family plays a CRITICAL role. Everyone needs to be on board with food, exercise, treatment plans, even what to/not to talk about around the "patient". It takes much diligence and a lot of time in the early stages. It is exhausting and strains all of the relationships in the family. Just as you would drop everything to get treatment for a child with cancer or terminal illness, you must treat an eating disorder the same way. Every teen and family is different and there is no "one size fits all" approach to treating an eating disorder. Our advice, read everything you can get your hands on about eating disorders and their treatment and start with Dr. Tyson. Our entire family loves and respects Dr Tyson and his staff very much. We would recommend him to anyone.

May 2nd, 2013

Not recommended

My husband and I brought our 16 yr-old daughter to Dr. Tyson after a rough 6 months of struggling to restore the weight she had rapidly lost. At our initial appointment he conducted a thorough evaluation of her which included an EKG and the ordering of blood lab work. He told her that she had an eating disorder and explained the dangers of anorexia. My daughter understood the gravity of the diagnosis and believed and trusted what he told her. Convincingly imparting this information to her at the first visit was virtually the only benefit we received from another two months of weekly visits to Dr. Tyson. He created a dependency on her part upon him as he marginalized us as parents. We were never told her weight nor empowered to take control of refeeding her. He never educated us with regards to Family Based Treatment (Maudsley Method) which has been scientifically proven to have the best outcomes for adolescents. The weekly visits included his privately counseling her and then calling us in to tell us how sad she was, how to walk on eggshells with her and then he would answer questions. Early on I asked him what his overall treatment plan for her was and he had no answer. He invited her to participate in his self-moderated support group (at additional cost) which included young adults. He assured us that although she would be the youngest member it was appropriate for her because he would moderate it. We allowed her to attend and were stunned at the adult-themed topics discussed as the other members shared their difficult histories with sexual trauma, drug abuse and homelessness. Strangely, Dr. Tyson couldn't produce a referral to a dietician when asked on several different occasions. At the end of approx. two months of his care our daughter's condition had worsened and at our insistence he referred us to Puente de Vida in La Jolla, CA, where she received good inpatient care and made positive leaps and bounds forward in her recovery. We did not resume using his services upon her return home as everything we had learned about eating disorders in the interim demonstrated how lacking his version of treatment is.

February 11th, 2013

You should never go to this Quack at all! He claims to be a leader and is currently suing Cedar Spribgs of Austin because they ousted his as their director! Caution to all -get your care elsewhere!

January 24th, 2013

So grateful for Dr. Tyson.

I have known Dr. Tyson for 13 years. I have had disordered eating my entire life and I first came to him as a patient in 2000. I saw him on and off throughout the years as I struggled. Then I hit a wall, and I hit it hard. In 2009, my disordered eating became an eating disorder. I was very sick, but I didn’t look sick. Like most patients with ED, it took me a lot of convincing and a long time to realize how sick I was. I didn’t look like a stereotypical ED patient. I looked healthy. Dr. Tyson patiently cared for me and, over time, helped me realize my ED was my best teacher and greatest gift. He gave me specific exercises to help me find my voice and my strength. He helped me heal. Dr. Tyson carries energy that creates a space where vulnerability and truth beget deep healing and growth. I’m grateful Dr. Tyson has been my guide out of the ED maze.

October 25th, 2012

manipulator, egomaniac

Thank God Dr. Tyson is no longer a part of our life. We endured the nightmare of an eating disorder and, for us and evidently many others, the equally nightmarish experience of having him as a counselor. It is like the weight of the world is lifted having him-finally- really out of our life. My investigations show that his actions are starting to cause comment among the professionals in the area. None of the MD's or the licensed therapists I have spoken with believe that fostering dependance, texting patients and pressuring them, driving wedges between parents and child, suggesting that families who take this seriously enough will sell property to pay him, bad mouthing every other doctor and treatment center in the state and generally, not returning parents phone calls after multiple calls, ignoring the request of the patient to not be contacted, taking advantage of the vulnerable and young, and getting full payment AND billing the insurance company is proper behavior for a member of the medical community.

October 24th, 2012

Doctor Tyson **Thank You**

First Id like to start by Thanking Doctor Tyson for all the relentless attention he puts into this very Complex Disease Anorexia Nervosa and his Patients. Second, I'd Like to Thank his family, I have personally seen how Dr. Tyson has Helped my sister and a number of his patients no matter the time or day:) I know his family must sacrifice much family time in order for him to be able to do so! I thank you all! This Disease faces so many road blocks by the medical and government communities Doctor Tyson is One of very little doctors that stands firm in his fight to win against the disease! This shows his Character!! I know that without God and his guidance bringing Doctor Tyson in our life my sister would probably still be ill! Doctor Tyson,, I along with my family, and so many others Believe in you and your work!!! Keep going, keep fighting God will be with you! As for anyone who disagrees with Doctor Tyson....Move On and Good luck!

October 18th, 2012

My Life Saver

October 14th, 2012

Mom of patient

Dr. Tyson is the most caring doctor I know. He gave my husband and me his cell phone number and once returned our call during his daughter's soccer game!

September 14th, 2012

Turn away from this monster!