inactive

Edward J Whelan MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

July 10th, 2014
Amazing hip MD
Great Hip MD. Had surgery in May and was back to normal within a few weeks. Very kind, compassionate Doctor. Highly recommend! Hips are his specialty.

February 2nd, 2014
A word of caution. Dr. Whelan was selected based upon reviews on this site and the fact he particpated with my insurance company. However, he uses his Nurse Practitioner to assist in surgey, who does not. After the surgery and my insurance paid, I was billed an additional $1,200.00 for the NP services. My insurance does not pay for a NP and I feel this amount should have been written off. They may tell you they accept your insurance, but you may then get a bill for the NP which is not covered by your insurance. Careful!

October 27th, 2013
2nd hip replacement
After replacement of right hip and many issues with it, went to Dr Whelan and had him replace left hip using anterior method. What a difference in the recuperation. Walking in my kitchen with no help after 3rd day. It took more than four weeks to get to this level the first time. Dr. Whelan is tops and several friends have had the same experience, one had both hips replaced and was out on the dance floor in just three weeks. Can't say enough of this doctor and his staff.

August 14th, 2013
Dr. Whelan did my hip for me way back in 2000. I had had two hip replacements on that hip prior to that - one in 1971, in Boston, and in 1990, in Atlanta. After my family and I moved to Savannah, I asked my wife, who was a nurse in one of the hospitals, to ask the nurses on the orthopedics floor who they would go to if they had to have a hip replacement. Their answers were pretty much unanimous - "Dr. Whelan!" After I had my first visit with him, I knew I had the right person. When my second hip gave out, he did the hip replacement for me. It has been over 13 years now, and my hip has served me well. I don't remember much about my surgery or my hospitalization, except it had been a good experience. I would go back to him in a heartbeat if we didn't live so far away now (Minneapolis, MN). He is a good man, a good doctor, and a good surgeon.

April 1st, 2013
Sir Edward truly knows how to make a hip work again.
drove to savannah arriving at the hospital at seven a.m. was wheeled into the surgical suite and waved to eddie as he scrubbed. 90 minutes later I am in recovery. an hour later I am in my room. later I walked down the hall. the next morning climb stairs. and could have gone home that afternoon, but doc eddie smiled and said why don't you sleep over and have room service. next morning road home, shotgun. don't doubt my word. this guy is for real and so dadgum pleasant...

March 29th, 2013
After doctoring for about 2 years for a bad back in Port Huron, MI, I went to Georgia to visit my son and family. I went to a back doctor who told me right away that it wasn't my back but my hip. I was lucky enough to be referred to Dr. Whelan for a total hip replacement about one year ago. I cannot say enough about this wonderful doctor. I was operated on a Friday, went home on Sunday and walked with a walker for a couple of weeks, (it could have been less but I had a bit of a fear of letting go of the walker). The physical therapist came in on that Thursday and making a long story short, I went up 18 steps to my bedroom. WOW! I felt like a little kid just learning to walk. I then used my cane for 3 weeks and I was on my own power. I recommend this wonderful man 150% Thank you Dr. Whelan. I'm still talking about you in Michigan.