Surgical Specialist, Cardiothoracic Surgeon
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

|  Highest Recommendation  |  show details
by Sandy on Apr 1st, 2013

I highly recommend Dr. Edwin C. Mcgee. I had a heart transplant performed by him in May 2012. His staff kept my family informed of his progress during the surgery, which was very comforting to them. He was very attentive following the surgery. I had very little discomfort following this extensive surgery, and the scarring is quite minimal. I have had no rejection of the new heart and no complications from the surgery. Dr. Mcgee’s bedside manner is both professional and caring. The other members of the heart failure team are equally impressive. The few times when I have needed to call the after-hours emergency number, I have always received a call back within five to ten minutes. I am very grateful for my new heart, Dr. Mcgee and the Northwestern Heart Failure Team.

|  He's a Lifesaver  |  show details
by Heather B on Mar 28th, 2013

I trust Dr. McGee with my life, it's as simple as that. After struggling with congestive heart failure, I came to require surgery for an LVAD in an emergency situation. His assuredness is a comfort, and helped put both me and my family at ease many, many times during the difficult sugery and recovery process. I just celebrated the one year anniversary of my heart transplant, and although I no longer see Dr. McGee on regular basis I know that he is always observing behind the scenes and is well aware of my progress.

|  Excellent doctor  |  show details
by Eugene Boese on Mar 21st, 2013

I became eligible for a heart transplant because of a blood infection that did not respond to a daily treatment of antibiotics for almost a year. My oldest daughter did some checking on the hospitals in the Chicago area and found that Northwestern Memorial had the best rating. My family and I met with Dr.Mcgee and explained to him my previous cardiac history which included an aortiic dissection requiring a plastic heart valve and dacron tubing and congestive heart failure that required an LVAD. My concern was that a transplant would have a good outcome under my conditions, and Dr. Mcgee said yes. The operation was a success.thanks to Dr. Mcgee and his staff. My treatment by all concerned was truly exceptional!

|  show details
by eleanor franks on Mar 15th, 2013

Thanks to .god for putting dr.mcghee in my life he is the doctor that I would recommend to anyone looking for a kind, professional, courteous and overall great doctor. He explained everything upon meeting and made me feel so at ease .I am so blessed to have had a surgeon so dedicated to his patients.thanks also for introducting me to the lvad. My overall experience was a blessing to me and my family expecially my grandchildren-.thanks

|  Retired Civil Engineer  |  show details
by Joseph E. Matherly on Mar 12th, 2013

It has been 9 months since Dr McGee performed an LVAD procedure for me. Having spent more time in serious surgical than I like to recall, I have become experienced in evaluating medical service. What I expect is knowledge, an ability to relate and communicate, a feeling of confidence in surgical skills, a sense of humor, and direct and honest counseling from my surgeon. I received all of these things and perhaps even more importantly, I felt he truly cared about my recovery, comfort and well being! I believe that my surgery and recovery required a team, a team that had the same characteristics that Dr. McGee exhibited - he was the team leader for a great staff which I believe made my surgery and recovery a positive experience. I would, and have strongly recommended Dr. McGee to all.

|  He's My Hero  |  show details
by Ed G. on Mar 12th, 2013

Dr. Mcgee was responsible for giving me a new life. My heart was damaged beyond repair in a foreign country and and I was lucky to get back to the U. S. just in time. He is an outstanding technician and an operating room master, as skilled as anyone when it concerns matters of the heart. His credentials are impeccable coming from the Cleveland Institute to Northwestern where his skill level and reputation continue to broaden and grow. With confidence I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Mcgee to anyone.

|  3/10/2013  |  show details
by Susan L. Kennedy on Mar 10th, 2013

My heart transplant was almost four years ago, Dr. Mcgee, and I still live in disbelief. As I celebrate my good health on yet another anniversary, Please know that my gratitude to you and your team is still hard to express. There is no doubt that your skills and your focus are paramont to my good story, but that is just a piece of the picture. My heart issues were sudden onset, my family was in shock and hope for my life seemed marginal at best. You, however, instilled confidence, honesty and clarity to my family all the while with extreme humility while seemingly not wanting to be thanked. After four years I still remain sorely inadequate to do so. Goe bless you. Susan Kennedy

|  One of the best  |  show details
by Tim Gallagher on Mar 7th, 2013

As a child, I had a heart transplant in 1988 at Boston Children's Hospital. As a young adult, I was cared for at Mass General. 20 years later in 2008, now living in Chicago, I would need another transplant. How comforting it was to know that Dr. McGee had his training at MGH and with my pediatric surgeon. Himself, the transplant coordinators, RN's in the ICU, 11W, and staff all made me feel at ease during my time as an inpatient at NMH. The follow-up care has been extraordinary. I hope I never need another transplant, but if so, I know I will be in good hands with Dr. McGee.

|  Surgeon and doctor at the top of his game (The real live House!)  |  show details
by sharmain hamilton on Mar 6th, 2013

In January 2010, a simple holiday visit to my daughter in Chicago became a life-saving trip. My return home to California was permanently delayed when I checked into the ER at Northwestern Hospital. Of course I didn't know it then, my plans were to get some medications that would allow me to make the return trip home. Fortunately, what I received instead was life-saving medical treatment. Dr McGee and his staff saw me through my heart failure, LVAD placement, open heart surgeries, brain surgery, heart transplant and post transplant care. In May and June of 2012, Dr McGee's skills as a surgeon and much appreciated and needed tough-love bedside manner, allowed this single mother of four to stand and yell proudly at the graduations of her four children from, law school, masters programs and PhD program. Later in July of 2012, as I held my daughter in my arms after she suffered the miscarriage of her first pregnancy and wiped away her tears, I was never more grateful for Dr. McGee’s care that had kept me alive so that I could be there for her. On October 23, 2012, as I celebrated my one-year post transplant anniversary, and my youngest daughter passing the bar, Dr. McGee was an eminent part of my celebration and heart, both medically and emotionally. On February 21, 2013 as I held my daughter in my arms again and listened to the heart beat of my first grandchild (expected in June 2013) beat healthy inside her, my own heart was beating with unending gratitude that in 2010, fate brought me to Chicago, Northwestern Memorial Hospital 11-west wing and Dr Edwin C. McGee Jr.

|  Former patient  |  show details
by Steven Johnson on Mar 6th, 2013

What can be said of a person who you owe your life to? Dr. McGee performed admirably, both with the implant of my L-VAD and eventually my heart transplant. He made me feel at ease both with his demeanor and his knowledge and expertise. A consummate professional, he worked tirelessly during my first operation, and when complications occurred, he did not stop but was able to take the time to inform my family of my status, which they were grateful for.

|  Teacher and Consultant  |  show details
by Annette Giarrante on Mar 6th, 2013

Dr. Mcgee is an incredible surgeon and a wonderful human being. I put my life in his hands without any hesitation and felt hopeful knowing he would do whatever it took to save my life.

|  Chief Executive Officer  |  show details
by Jim Callahan on Mar 6th, 2013

The man truly cares about his patients and their over success before and after surgery. The entire team of doctors, nurses, and support staff is first class. They will all help you before and after surgery, but you have to help yourself also. Take care of yourself, exercise, and eat correctly fullfills your end of the commitment!

|  a man who quite literally works miracles  |  show details
by Frederick Peter Hollis and Michael Hunter Anand on Mar 4th, 2013

How would you feel if you were told to call Hospice because you had two to four weeks to live? That's what we were told by both VAD centers near our home in South Florida. Rather than calling Hospice, however, we spent days researching the top facilities in the world for the treatment of end-stage bi-ventricular heart failure until we found the one doctor who we believed he could save Petey's life: Dr. Edwin McGee at Northwestern University in Chicago. On hearing about Petey's situation, Dr. McGee called an emergency meeting of his heart failure team during a holiday weekend to review Petey's medical documents. Then he called and told me to rush Petey to Northwestern Memorial Hospital immediately (we live about 24 hours away). Although Petey was quickly fading, Dr. McGee stabilized him in the cardiac ICU with a balloon pump before saving his life with two implantable and fully portable artificial ventricle assist devices, a cutting edge procedure only he himself had ever performed. The university hospitals in Florida that claim to be the best in the world said it could never be done, but that was a year and a half ago, and Petey is still alive today! We still live in South Florida, but Dr. McGee and his VAD coordinators are on standby 24/7 to take care of all our medical needs. If you or a loved one is ever in need of critical medical care, the only doctor who will save your life, no matter what the odds, is Dr. Edwin McGee. And his bedside manner is impeccable.

|  Great Surgeon  |  show details
by James Armstrong on Mar 4th, 2013

Dr. McGee and his staff went to the mat for me at every occassion. My case was very complicated and required a considerable amount of skill, persistence, and follow through - he fought for me. An expert in heart transplant and mechanical devices (VADs) for bridge to transplant and destination therapy. Incredible attention to detail, excellent patient follow-up. I joked with him that he should spend more time with the family instead of reading my charts! Thorough yet straight-forward explanation of procedures and medicines. He has a genuine care for his patients and it is visible in every accept of his practice. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the nurses that he has selected to be part of his specialized practice.

|  Not sure how to feel about this surgeon  |  show details
Jul 7th, 2012

We thought we had chosen a good surgeon for an aortic valve replacement however, since the surgery it seems we have been completely abandoned by Dr. McGee and his office staff. It took numerous attempts to get discharge info from his office after there was a VERY serious complication and that should never happen (the lack of communication, that is).The same has been with getting an order for cardiac rehab. Something that should have begun approximately 6 weeks after surgery, hasn't been ordered even after multiple attempts from the rehab center to obtain. At this rate the full return to work that Dr. McGee stated would happen, isn't going to.Also, the post-op and pre-surgical notes contained a plethora of inconsistencies making us wonder if Dr. McGee paid any attention while we were in his office at all.Frankly, we are beginning to think by his pre-op notes that he pigeon-holed us into whatever study he's working on because several points in the reports are outright lies. I do not deal in life and death situation in my work, but my work is far more accurate. The inconsistencies were downright shameful for a man of his supposed experience and talent.