Orthopedic Surgeons

Knoxville Orthopedic Clinic
1422 Old Weisgarber Rd
Knoxville, TN 37909
865-558-4400
Locations and availability (6)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Sep 13th, 2014

Dr. Spencer is one amazing and talented surgeon. He spent a lot of time explaining my diagnosis. I would recommend this dr. To everyone I know.

|  Impressed  |  show details
by DeeAnna Cooper on Aug 3rd, 2014

Dr. Spencer was amazing, he really cares about his patients. He will pay attention to what you have to say. He treated me with respect. And I will definitely recommend him.

|  Be Wary  |  show details
Oct 24th, 2013

People in the area told me that Dr. Spencer was one of the best surgeons around. However, he can't seem to focus on you while in seeing you. KOC's appointment desk is terrible. It took 3.5 WEEKS to get an appointment scheduled through the insurance. MRI showed a tear in the shoulder and he was good with going for surgery. After it was denied, though, he transformed. He didn't want to deal with the insurance or wait for the 3 months of conservative care they wanted. It was as if he was bipolar. Then he changes his mind about whether or not the symptoms matched the injury. I had no previous tear and two other docs felt it matched the injury. Plus talking with several other former patients, I found out his post-op care is terrible!! Maybe be a good surgeon, but it pre-op and post-op makes up most of the time spent with the doc!!

|  Very disorganized, and gets angry.  |  show details
by Mike Arnold on Jun 25th, 2013

Dr Spencer put a new shoulder joint in 2012. It was a disaster. After I was put under in the OR HE SHOWED UP 59 min later. In a hurry, he injures my biracial plex nerve and I woke up with my hand paralyzed . He never came to talk to me or my wife after the surgery. When I called his office he said , " not my fault, Anastasia did it, call them" just had surgery in Atlanta to try to correct his damage. Hoping it will get better. Talks down to staff and he is feared. At my last appointment he said "oh well, these things happen every 400 surgeries" there are many better Doctors, look around.

|  Total Shoulder Replacement  |  show details
by Ann Lacava on May 31st, 2013

I suspect at my age, it should be expected that some "body parts" are worn but to be told you need a whole new shoulder is scary!! My primary care physician recommended Dr. Spencer and I rely on Dr. Ochoa's advice completely. After hearing all the horror stories of pain and anguish from 'friends', I put on my brave face and got it done. I don't know about how other doctors work but I refer to it as a "non-event." I did what I was told (well--maybe the splint disappeared into my closet a bit early), BUT this doctor and his entire staff worked miracles. It's been 10 weeks; I've been discharged and now find my new left shoulder is working better than my old right one. He told me that if I would do what he and the therapist told me to do, it would be OK. And it is terrific!! I would advise ANYONE to take this journey if their doctor says it's needed and not look back. And if you can work it, the one to do it is Dr. Spencer and his crew. (I even got a hug or two--I hate shaking hands . . .)

Sep 24th, 2012

Dr. Spencer did a total shoulder replacement on me. I went home the day after my surgery and had zero pain until I went to therapy. Dr. Spencer is an amazing Surgeon and I wouldn't consider anyone else.

|  A in my opinion!  |  show details
Jun 30th, 2012

First of all, Dr. Spencer did not immediately jump at the surgery option. We tried physical therapy and ultimately I made the decision for rotator cuff surgery. In every way he exudes confidence while possessing an incredibly gentle and professional bedside manner. I don't think it is possible to have a better outcome. Though I had heard horror stories about shoulder surgery, mine was certainly tolerable and my experience with Dr. Spencer incredible... My ONLY concern was that I left the day of surgery a little unclear (foggy?) about the limitations and protocol for the following four weeks. I took very limited pain medication and though uncomfortable, I was never in excruciating pain!

May 17th, 2012

Dr. Spencer was very professional and very personable. He done a great job on Mom's rotator cuff tear. I would highly recommend him to anyone!

|  In Pain  |  show details
Oct 1st, 2011

Dr. Spencer performed a total joint replacement for my shoulder. Though he is very skilled and knowledgable in his field, he was totally out of touch with the seriousness of my pain. HE SENT ME HOME WITHOUT PAIN MEDICATION. CUT MY ARM OFF ONE DAY AND SENT ME HOME WITHIN 24 HOURS. I would only recommend him if you have a pain management doctor to follow up with after surgery.

Aug 26th, 2011

Very pleased with Dr Spencer. He spent a lot of time with me and explained things regarding my condition in an understandable manner. Went "above and beyond" when he reviewed with me some other tests in my records.

|  Great !  |  show details
Oct 10th, 2010

I have been seeing Dr. Spencer for over a yr.After a fall @ work and 3 surgeries later. He has always taken great care of me and fully explained everything too me.I am still seeing him and would recommend him to many..Thank you Dr. Spencer..ONLY THE BEST!!! M.C.

by Ruby Alice Rawls on Apr 21st, 2010

Dr. Edwin Spencer is the very best orthopedic surgeon in Knoxville TN. He is extremely smart, highly skilled, very articulate, has a great personality and bedside manner, and is very caring. He explained my surgery, and the end result was exactly what he said it would be. My shoulder feels the same now after surgery a few months ago as it did prior to the rotator cuff tears. It is unbelievable! Dr. Spencer prescribed physical therapy after my surgery ASAP. I just can't say enough good things about Dr. Spencer.

May 25th, 2009

Dr Spencer is a good doctor and I would send everybody with aram and shoulder problems to him.