Edy E Soffer MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

• 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

August 2nd, 2011
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS DOCTOR!!!
I was sent to see Dr Soffer as a specialist in an attempt to help come up with a course of action to treat my severe GI problems. (Had a Nissan fundoplication a year ago for such severe GERD that I choked every night on acid...my doctor said it was the worst case he had ever seen (a top rated surgeon) so bad in fact i could die from asphyxiation. The surgery helped the GERD but my nutcracker esophagus and stomach issues (gastropareisis) continually got worse. In addition to my GI problems, I have RA (often associated with esophageal and stomach disorders) fibromyalgia, hypogammaglobulinemia, and other disorders. My esophageal and stomach problems have gotten so bad I require a feeding tube as i can not eat or drink and a home nurse. i am 31. My case is very complicated and i understand that. Dr Soffer also acknowledged this fact. I made four trips to LA to see him(as he is supposed to be one of the top three doctors in the nation for GI problems). Two trips were for tests and two for consultations. I have been suffering for three years. Dr Soffer was not what I expected. He did not seem serious nor committed to help me. When after just one battery of tests with him...he gave up on trying to figure out and solve my stomach problems (extreme chronic nausea when i can get food to pass through my esophagus along with extremely slow transit time and poor absorption). The esophagus he said was very complicated, possibly partially related to the surgery. In the end he offered no treatment plan and didn't demonstrate an ounce of sympathy. He told me the TPN needed to go. That i most likely would have to reverse my surgery bringing back the GERD with only a chance that it would help the esophagus, and then hope the medication which has not helped in the past would help with the nausea. Ultimately, his suggestion, if you can call it that, would only make my situation worse. When I started to tear up and ask him questions, he continuously tried to stand up and walk out the door. He was arrogant, rude, condescending, smug and has proven to be incompetent. Furthermore, getting them to pass on my test results and file to my referring doctor and others that i requested (even after filling out all appropriate forms) was a nightmare. I have never left a doctors office feeling as hopeless and dismissed as i did that day. He might as well had said you are doomed, and there is the door. I have no idea how this doctor has become so highly regarded.Ultimately, thank god for second opinions and doctors who care about their patients. Nothing has been fixed yet, but at least i have a team of doctors doing everything they can to see me get BETTER not worse. At least they want to help.me get part of my life back...SAFELY!