Dr. Ekkehard Bonatz MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.0

October 20th, 2015
Be prepared to wait for 3 hours waiting for him even if you have a minor check up

July 17th, 2015
Beware
If you have been injured on the job and you have to see Dr. Bonatz expect unfair treatment. This Dr and all the staff on his floor are strictly for workmen comp and there is no shame in their game. During my experience my nurse case manager nearly broke her neck to see the Dr and staff before I went into see them. And they followed what she suggested instead of what was medically reasonable for me as an injured worker. They all had nasty attitudes and showed no compassion for me what so ever after my surgery. I cannot say how Dr Bonatz and his staff treat someone that has private insurance, but I promise you if you see them under Alabama Workmen Comp you will be treated awful.

June 12th, 2015
Carpal Tunnel Surgery
Was going in for carpal tunnel surgery. He also removed a bone/joint in my thumb. Woke up from surgery screaming in pain. Hand swollen up the size of a balloon the next day. When I told him I didn't know that he was removing part of my thumb joint, he called my internal medicine doctor and told him I needed some mental health treatment. Worst bedside manner of any doctor I ever met. On a follow up visit, the wait was so long that I left - standing room only in waiting room.

April 29th, 2015
Bonatz has the WORST bedside manner. he botched my surgery, had to have reconstructive surgery

August 27th, 2014
Apparently he can tell if you have an extremely rare disorder (that you have already been diagnosed with) just by looking at you. You're years of experience pale in comparison to my 17 years of putting my joints in place daily. If you knew so much about this rare disorder you would not have been shocked to see signs osteoporosis on my x-rays considering it is very common to have it at a young age when combined with this disease. Please educate yourself about rare and invisible illnesses and while your at it bedside manner.

July 2nd, 2014
The whole experience for both wrists has been fabulous starting with Dr. Bonatz and then the whole staff- great care and attention to my needs and to me personally. Thank you!

April 30th, 2013
Reply to Dr.Bonatz
I did not want a quick fix, You were more concerned teaching your intern than you were about being concerned about my injury. I was in your office for a second opinion before going forward with a finger tip revision that my first doctor had already said that I needed due to a piece of fingernail and nail bed left after the injury which needed removed which you did not even find or discuss if you did ! After dealing with your staff that was fair at best and your rude bed side manner I returned home, contacted my previous doctor who did my revision, which improved my pain factor, got me back to work in due time and improved the use of my hand and finger. My advice to your patients that find or experience the same negative feelings that I had. Do not give up just because this doctor has swept you out without spending over 5 minutes with you after sending his intern in who will be with you longer than the actual doctor, GO SEE and GET ANOTHER OPINION FROM A DOCTOR WHO CARES when you see him, NOT when he gets a bad review after he dislikes your honest review!!!!

March 25th, 2013
Dr. Ekkehard Bonatz is a very good and has done surgery on both of my hands and with very little or not pain at all. He is a doctor that will tell you just what your problem is and if you want to have the surgery good and if not it is up to you. He does not pressure you into anything at all. His bedside manners are straight to the point which I really like. I would recommend this doctor to anyone that wants to have a problem fixed and fixed right. He is very good at what he does. Very to the point. Job well done........

February 15th, 2013
Apparently not concerned about patient comfort or pain. One injection in my wrist supposedly "may require a couple of Advil later today" but caused excruciating pain within 10 minutes of leaving the office. The MRI was like being water-boarded; a painful 45 minute experience in a small machine that required that I have both arms extended above my head with no movement of my arms or wrist (area being imaged). With a bad shoulder this was painful. After a surgery, an injection, MRI, bone-scan and multiple visits, he ended up not being able to solve the problem I was having so he referred me to another specialist (Rhumatoid) where I will have to wait four months. He would not prescribe any sort of medication for pain relief. He is a poor communicator. I would never recommend him to anyone.

November 26th, 2012
Excellent surgeon + Great Therapists = Tremendous results
I am not new to orthopedic surgeries as this was my 3rd in the last few years. Prior to my first ortho surgery, I was given the advice that "it is better to have a good surgeon and a great therapist, than a great surgeon and a good therapist." Well, I was fortunate enough with my arm and wrist to have both...a great surgeon and (2) great therapists. If you do not believe that Ekkehard, and his staff are an excellent team; how many 52 year old men do you know who could break an arm, tear the ligaments in his wrist and be back at full speed within 4 months. In fact, full recovery would have taken significantly less time; but much of the therapy had to be restricted due to a rotator cuff surgery (a few months earlier) on the same arm. Ekkehard Bonatz: As far as previous posts on Ekkehard's "bedside manner"; I did not have any issues. Due to his no-nonsense office visits and dry personality, people could confuse this with "poor bedside manners"; however:1. I will take prompt professionalism, accurate diagnosis, and successful surgical results over the highest rated "bedside manners" on the internet2. I would like to remind you that you are going to see he and his staff for orthodepic care and not psycho analysis. The OT / PT: As far as complaints on the Occupational / Physical Therapists; I have no clue as to the nature of these complaints unless the therapists that worked with me have been replaced. The two therapists that worked with me (Nikki & Cathy) are WITHOUT QUESTION the FINEST THERAPISTS that I have had the privilege of working with. They were true professionals in every since: 1. Asked questions, listened to my responses2. Evaluated progress or setbacks at the beginning and end of each session3. Consistently challenged me with new / additional exercises at the appropriate time4. Prompt, polite, courteous, caring (I am drawing a blank on adjectives at the moment or there would be other attributes posted) THE RESULTS: The broken arm took longer to heal than did the wrist. This was not the fault of Ekkehard and his staff; but, due to a previous surgery (mentioned earlier) and due to the location of the break, Ekkehard recommended therapy in lieu of surgery. The wrist is a completely different story, within 3 days after the surgery, I had noticable less pain in my wrist than I did the month following the accident. At the present time, I have not experienced any loss in flexibility and this wrist is (now) stronger than my other wrist. As you can see from this post, I highly recommend Ekkehard, Cathy and Nikki (and "no" I am not personal friends with either of them)!

November 21st, 2012
The worst doctor and worst personality
This is a very rude and unprofessional doctor . He needs to go back to school to be educated about how to speak to his patients and how to treat them . He doesn't know anything about medicine and extremely rude and short tempered . My advice is to stay away as far as you can from him or his office . No correct diagnosis plus the extreme rudeness

November 21st, 2012