Browse Health
Internist, Cardiologist (heart)
28 years of experience
Video profile
Accepting new patients

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

Overall Rating:
  • Currently 3.5 of 4 stars
Total Ratings


Total Reviews


4 stars
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Ease of Appointment:
  • Currently 3.3636363636364 of 4 stars
  • Currently 2.9 of 4 stars
Courteous Staff:
  • Currently 3.4545454545455 of 4 stars
Accurate Diagnosis:
  • Currently 3.0909090909091 of 4 stars
Bedside Manner:
  • Currently 3.1818181818182 of 4 stars
Spends Time with Me:
  • Currently 3 of 4 stars
Follows Up After Visit:
  • Currently 3.0909090909091 of 4 stars
Average Wait: 27 minutes
Some ratings provided by DrScore.
  • Currently 1 of 4 stars
 |  Unpredictable  |  show details
by Alice M on Mar 26th, 2014

First contact was for an angiogram after a mild heart attack. Fine. The follow-up appointment was delayed because dr. had an emergency. The re-scheduled appointment, after waiting for quite awhile was an insult. Dr. walked in to examining room with a bare clip board and wanted to know why I was there. After having an irregular heart beat for several years, my excellent family physician again referred me to Dr. Kassab. After another lengthy wait, friendly encounter and echo cardiogram, he seemed excited about my diagnosis. I was scheduled for a follow-up appointment, and after another lengthy wait, was ushered into an examining room, where he discussed findings of EKG, Holter monitor, and Echo with a student/colleague, was neither friendly or communicative, and didn't appear to recall who I was. He just left the room without examining me or telling me anything. No follow-up.

  • Currently 4 of 4 stars
 |  show details
Oct 20th, 2012

My heart needed repaired = Dr. Kassab was skilled, kind and kept me informed. Would recommend definitely.

  • Currently 2 of 4 stars
 |  Two big errors  |  show details
Dec 9th, 2011

One in caring for my father, one a misdiagnosis on me. We both were hospitalized as a result. I have another cardiologist now, my father will not change, but complains of trouble getting timley appointments or more than a minute of attention in the office.

Mark as Helpful  | 2 people found this helpful Report Abuse
  • Currently 4 of 4 stars
 |  show details
Jul 19th, 2011

In my opinion, Dr. Kassab is the ultimate professional, a brilliant doctor with an amazingly positive patient care attitude (he has been my cardiologist since 1999).I would recommend him to anyone that wants to be cared for by the best.

  • Currently 4 of 4 stars
 |  Amazing Dr.  |  show details
May 20th, 2011

I had an ascending aortic dissection three years ago that was misdiagnosed for 10 days, I'm lucky to be alive, after the surgery to save my life was completed I wanted nothing more to do with the hospital system I'd been in. I went into looking for a Cardiologist like a job interview. After seeing many cardiologists I found Dr. Kassab, in the three years I've been seeing him he's been nothing but professional and kind, and seems to always be looking out for my best interests. He always takes the time I need to go over any questions I may have and when I go in with cardiac symptoms he goes over them one by one with me and we decide what the next step would be. I have no doubts in Dr Kassab or his staff, I know without a doubt that they take the best care of me that they can.

  • Currently 1 of 4 stars
 |  show details
Apr 21st, 2011

May 24, 2010Michigan Department of Community Health, Bureau of Health Professions Michigan Attorney Generals Office, Criminal DivisionComplaint and Allegations against Dr. Elias H. Kassab by patient, Donna L. Margittay and husband/care giver, Richard MargittayTo the Investigator:The following are Donna Margittays medical notes, taken from her daily medical log and med. records, regarding Dr Kassab and Oakwood Hospital. This complaint letter is written by husband/care giver, Richard Margittay.Feb 7, 2008, Dr. Kassab clinic appointment. Donnas cardiologist, Dr. Elias H. Kassab stated Donna would need to have orbital atherectomy procedures (dubbed Roto Rooter by Dr. Kassab) on both legs because: Artery walls are too rigid to yield results diagnosed from a Feb 1 test his clinic performed. In March or April, Donna reluctantly made an appointment for the procedure, but changed her mind and cancelled because she was apprehensive and had no pain or trouble with her legs.We then talked to U of M Hospital, vascular surgeon, Dr. Gilbert Upchurch about orbital atherectomy. He said U of M Hospital will not do the new orbital atherectomy. Dr Upchurch chuckled and said, Big money maker. He recommended that Dr. Dasika (U of M Hospital) evaluate her blood flow for a different approach. Subintimal recannulization was to be discussed. Late in May, I telephoned Dr. Kassabs office (his secretary April) requesting that Dr. Kassab consult with Dr. Dasika at U. of M. Hospital about what is best for Donna. April knew that Donna was very reluctant about orbital atherectomy and had scheduled an initial appointment with Dr. Dasika for June 17. (A record of our request was not entered in Dr. Kassabs file.)June 3, 2008 Dr. Kassab appointment. Dr.Kassab appeared upset as he entered exam room and only stated: Its demeaning! Unable to understand the greeting, he again repeated: Demeaning! (while shaking his head). Appearing insulted, he said he was aware of my request to consult with U of M doctor. He said doctors at U of M are amateurs and he said he did not consult with Dr. Dasika about what was best for Donna. While trying to convince Donna to agree to orbital atherectomy, an employee rushed Dr. Kassab (twice) to either schedule it or cancel Donnas angiogram and possible orbital atherectomy appointment for the following morning. Dr. Kassab, pressured by an employee for a final word on the following day procedures, appeared very emotional while trying to convince Donna to undergo orbital atherectomy, stating he did not need the money.Dr. Kassab said risks with orbital atherectomy were minimal. Dr. stated that without orbital atherectomy, Donna would lose both legs. (Donna) Still undecided, Dr. Kassab pointed at skin lesions on both of Donnas master toe (which U of M wound care had been treating) and said, Thats gangrene; you will lose your legs. He was excited and loud. He repeated, Risk is minimal. He never mentioned or named any possible risks nor did anyone else.Alarmed and intimidated by Dr. Kassab, Donna did agree to it; (even though U of M wound care techs did not appear very concerned about small eschar lesions evident on both master toes.)The following day, Donna was to undergo angiogram and then possible orbital atherectomy. June 4, Oakwood Hospital procedure. Next day, (Oakwood Hospital), after sitting in the Cath. Lab. waiting room for about two hours, Donna appeared to be a little out of sorts. I then performed a Blood/Glucose check with our glucometer. The check was 44 at 11:41 a.m. She was then taken in to angiogram prep room and treated for insulin shock onset. Donna requested not to have IV fluid, but asked for juice instead. (I was excluded from this room, against my wishes, during this emergency). Nurse Randy treated this condition with three glasses of juice according to records. While in this condition, Donna was presented with a two consent forms; and without having reading glasses, was told where to sign. She said she just complied. Nothing was verbally explained and Donna was just asked to sign. Donna signed (11:45 a.m. according to hospital document). Minutes later, Nurse Randy checked blood/sugar to find it to be 47 at 12 Noon. (Nurse Randys glucometer reading and time of his check is also indicated in Oakwood Hospital records.) Nurse Randy then immediately paged Dr. Kassab with Donnas insulin shock condition according to hospital log. (While checking hospital records, it was discovered that one of the two forms was a informed consent form.) It should have been obvious to all present that #1 Donna did not read it, and #2 if she had her reading glasses, she was in no condition to read or sign documents with blood/glucose in the mid 40s. Donna still had not been advised of risks by anyone, except for the word minimal.About 2 hours later, Dr. Kassab greeted us after I rejoined Donna in the surgery prep room. Dr. Kassab still did not discuss possible risks or problems with his procedures. He also made no mention of the earlier insulin shock and quickly left. About hr. later, Donna finally went into the O.R.At about 5 p. m., after he had finished both the angiogram and orbital atherectomy, Dr. Kassab met with me and indicated that he had a hard time because there was no blood flow below knees of both legs. He pounded his fist on the table and said the arteries were that hard. Very emotional and dramatic, he said he was able to roto rooter and restore blood flow: All the way to the master toe. Dr. Kassab said he cut an artery during his surgery but didnt elaborate. He said he wanted to perform several orbital atherectomies on both legs at a rate of two per month, and that recannulization wouldnt last. I found out from a nurse that Dr. Kassab went back to the O.R. for a considerable time, and for an unknown reason, after he talked to me. I had discovered that the vital dialysis session, which Dr. Kassab promised, was cancelled, likely because Dr. Kassab was three hours late for surgery. Being a dialysis patient with CHF, without being dialyzed, the dyes used by Dr. Kassab would be toxic and there would also be a dangerous fluid build-up. Dr. Kassabs broken promise forced me to plead to hospital administration employee, Betty, to please call in a dialysis team to prevent additional complications.) Betty called a team in from home. Records do not indicate the cancellation or the reason for it. That night, nurses refused to give meal coverage insulin, which we both requested. We had asked that Dr. Kassab or any doctor be paged about insulin and meds. No doctor responded and Dr. Kassab did not return nurses page according to Nurse Kay. Nurse Kay seemed confused and did not or could not understand the practice of meal coverage insulin for a type-1 diabetic. If Dr. Kassab or any hospital doctor had been available to Donna, an order for insulin would likely have been written. The hospital sliding scale, set up for all diabetics, was way too drastic for Donna, and based on past experiences at Oakwood hospital, would send her toward insulin shock every time used. We both explained this to nurses. Donnas blood/glucose level was over 218 an hour after her meal and likely rising fast. I showed the meter reading to Nurse Kay. Nurse Kay refused to request insulin for Donna stating she wouldnt do a blood/glucose check for 4 more hours. To try to avoid risk of approaching diabetic coma, I had to violate hospital protocol and measured 2-1/2 units of our Novolog insulin. Donna injected same. Nurse Kay was advised. I also gave Donna her routine Renagel (kidney med) and Sildenifil Citrate (pulmonary hypertension) which was not ordered for Donna according to Nurse Kay. I later reported the medicine and insulin problem and lack of doctors orders to nurse supervisor, Deana. She appeared to be very understanding. Four hours later, I had to again give additional insulin because the Blood/glucose was 252, and 250 on both of our meters. I showed the readings to Nurse Kay. Nurse Kay gave up on her attempts to get Dr. Kassab to return her page and gave me permission to allow Donna to inject 5 units of our Novolog insulin. Without the 7-1/2 units of Novolog, it is possible Donna would have approached coma blood/glucose numbers by morning. (That night, Donna was unable to sleep because or discomfort and her elderly roommate talking on an imaginary telephone the entire night.) June 5, 9:00 a.m. P.A. Mckenzie Platt from Dr. Kassab's office authorized Donna to be discharged. Dr. Platt did not remove her heal ulcer and toe eschar bandage which covered the entire left foot up to the ankle. She did check the groin area for possible hematoma at incision. At 10:00 a.m. Dr. Fong removed the foot bandages and checked both Donnas feet. (The day before, I had telephoned Dr. Fong requesting that he please respond and evaluate Donnas master toe lesions only). (Months later, Dr. Fongs findings were first discovered in Oakwood Hospital records package.) Donna was discharged by her nurse at about 10:30 a.m. Neither Donna nor I knew about the limb-threatening condition to Donnas left foot until hours later at U of M Hospital. What happened to Dr. Fongs findings? Was P.A. Pratt or Dr. Kassab aware of the foot condition? Why wasnt the discharge stopped?2:30 p.m: U of M hospital routine wound care appointment (weekly on every Tuesday and Thursday). Wound care techs, who have noticed the skin lesions on master toes for about two weeks, removed the bandages on the feet and observed that Donnas left foot was cold and a large portion of the foot around and including the master toe had turned gray in color. The condition of the foot was very alarming U of M staff and us. I telephoned Dr. Kassab's office from U of M Hospital to state that there appeared to me an emergency with Donnas foot. A staffer at Dr. Kassabs office advised us to respond immediately. 4:00 p.m. Dr. Kassabs office (1st of 2 visits that day). We drove from Ann Arbor to Dr. Kassab's office. Dr. Kassab then observed Donnas foot (from a distance of 6 feet, and did not examine foot or check for pulse) and casually stating only: Sometimes they close up. He stated Donna will need to get another orbital atherectomy tomorrow. (Having no chance to recover from the last 24 hours, Donna was completely exhausted and noticeably depressed about the prospect of going through another similar hospital ordeal.) Donna told Dr. Kassab that she was afraid of Oakwood because of several bad experiences, including, kidney failure, flat line, and MRSA from a 2007 CABG, an 800 blood/glucose, a dangerous undetected sub-q, and constant blood/glucose therapy battles. Only the Oakwood ER has treated Donna well.No final decision was agreed to, as Dr. Kassab, showed absolutely no compassion for Donna. Dr. Kassab became very excitable and loud, shouting, She would lose her leg if she doesnt have another orbital atherectomy tomorrow, adding, Dont you know? I then explained to Dr. Kassab all about her treatment or lack of treatment at Oakwood Hospital the day before. I told him that Donna has had many foul-ups at Oakwood Hospital, feels unsafe there, and is completely exhausted from the past 36 hour ordeal with no sleep. Dr. Kassab didnt seem to care about how Donna felt about Oakwood Hospital. Displaying only emotion and anger, with no compassion or reassurance for Donna, he left room in the middle of the discussion, stating he had other patients to see. He did not offer to explain the reason for Donnas cold and gray foot and left before we had a chance to ask any questions about what he could do to provide proper medical conditions for Donna at the next orbital atherectomy. Dr. Kassab may have thought the less information or reassurance, the better. After waiting another 15 or 20 minutes for Dr. Kassab to return, Donna started to cry and wanted to rest. I drove her home, (gave her insulin and a snack) and returned to Dr. Kassab's clinic, anxious to finish our interrupted discussion for a safe plan to correct the foot problem. 5:00 p.m. Back to Dr. Kassabs office (2nd of 2 visits that day). Dr. Kassab was not available. I was unable to get Kassabs employee, Leila Dabbous (later found to be office manager), to page Dr. Kassab after explaining of the condition of her left foot and the emergency situation which Dr. Kassab was well aware of. After pleading for help, Dabbous refused to attempt to make contact with or page Dr. Kassab. Jeanette, a very pleasant employee, listened to me beg for help for 10 minutes as Leila Dabbous held the door for me to leave. Leila Dabbous stated: You had your chance. Jeanette had asked me to return to the office the following day to make an appointment. She may have scheduled an appointment on her own for Donna for June 10 (a 4-day wait to see Dr. Kassab). I was asked to leave by Dabbous (stating: We are closed). Dr. Kassabs failed surgery and Donnas cold and gray foot were of no concern or importance to Dabbous. (Dr. Kassabs office records do not contain a document about my return to his office and plea for help) (Please keep the name Jeanette confidential. There is a good chance that Dr. Kassabs employee, Jeanette, may be willing to stand up and tell the truth, unless someone convinces her otherwise.) At that point, we had no choice but to seek help elsewhere. I drove home and immediately phoned our family doctor, Dr. Robert Sharon, former Oakwood Hospital ER doctor. Dr. Sharon was informed of our uncanny treatment at Dr. Kassabs clinic and advised us to go immediately to University of Michigan Hospital ER.7:30 p.m. (same day) admitted to U. of M. Hospital ER. ER Vascular surgeon team immediately went to work trying to restore impeded blood flow to Donnas left foot.June 7, U of M Hospital meeting with Dr. Kyung Cho. U of M Hospital angiogram showed that Dr. Kassab left debris (plaque or athero cuttings, etc.) at tiny vessels at ankle causing atheroembolism, which impeded blood flow to her foot. After testing, Interventional Radiologist, Dr. Cho, said there was blockage caused by the June 4th orbital atherectomy. He said it was unlikely the situation could be reversed, and Donna would likely be facing toe amputation at least. (We were told by April that the procedure sucked out the cuttings.)For the next three weeks, U of M doctors tried to clear debris (atheroembolism) caused by orbital atherectomy. The left foot and toes deteriorated more each week. Donna became depressed and did not want to survive surgery becoming very sick on July 2 (high potassium)July 3. Dr. Gilbert Upchurch amputated below left knee. Dr. Upchurch has always commented about the evidence of sustaining blood in both legs, except for the blockage at left ankle caused by orbital atherectomy debris. July 10, Dr. Narasimham Dasika said the orbital atherectomy was too invasive, and should not have been performed on someone with Donnas condition. Dr. Dasika said another Orb. Ath. by Dr. Kassab to correct the blockage would likely have been only a desperate attempt. Was Dr. Kassab licensed or properly skilled to do such a risky vascular procedure on Donnas legs absent the presence and input of a licensed vascular surgeon? On Sept 9, 2008, U. of M. Dr. Dasika said the newness and invasiveness of the orbital atherectomy system to clear leg arteries makes it too dangerous to perform on Donna with her medical history and according to angiogram pictures. Dr. Dasika said that very fine particle cuttings caused by orbital atherectomy clogged the small vessels at the ankle/foot, which previously did have blood flow. While Donna was recovering and healing from her left leg amputation, doctors did not want to address the uninfected eschar on master toe of her right foot until she was able to place weight on her left prosthetic leg. January 6, 2009. After Donna was starting to walk with the prosthetic left leg, Dr. Dasika said (and pictures show) blood flow was good enough to right foot, and that Donna did not need any blood flow restoration to her right leg contrary to statements by Dr. Kassab. (Donnas amputated left leg had always been the better of her two legs, especially since the left heel pressure ulcer healed nicely but the right heel pressure ulcer had continued to wax and wean.) January 7, 2009. Dr Upchurch did a transmetatarsel amputation of toes on the right foot. According to doctors, right foot had adequate blood flow, and appeared confident Donna would heal and keep her right leg. The TMA site, not sutured, started healing without any blood restoration.Dr. Kassab, well aware of Donnas medical history, should have known of risks and welcomed other opinions as Donna and I requested. Was he worried that another doctor would find adequate blood flow in both legs and deem orbital atherectomy dangerous and wrong?A type one diabetic, on dialysis, with Donnas medical history needed special caution and consideration, according to every other doctor involved with her treatment. All risks should have been explained. Knowing about risks to orbital atherectomy, both Donna and I would have said NO! Donna would have first consulted with Dr. Dasika if she had known of any risks associated with orbital atherectomy. We feel that Dr. Kassab used deception and scare tactics to fabricate an emergency where there was no emergency, then state minimal risk. We have just discovered that the FDA places limits on the use of orbital atherectomy. We do not know what the limitations are. Stent Also, stinting is associated with orbital atherectomy. However there was no mention of the word stint in the records.Orbital atherectomy, a two-hour procedure, billed Blue Cross $45,303. We feel that Dr. Kassab did not want to lose Donna to a U of M Hospital doctor, along with the sizable fee. We feel strongly that was why he used the dreaded word gangrene and You will lose your legs, to fabricate an emergency for self serving purposes. Perhaps Dr. Kassab was worried that Dr. Dasika would test and find adequate blood flow in her legs, needing no immediate blood restoration for Donna. Doctor Kassab should not have done such a risky, dangerous, and unnecessary procedure on Donna, according to Dr. Dasika, especially absent proper warning of risks. Contrary to Dr. Kassabs opinion, diagnosis, and repeated statements about Donna needing multiple orbital atherectomies in both legs, Dr. Dasika and Dr. Upchurch were satisfied with blood flow to Donnas right leg and foot and predicted excellent healing of the TMA site. Almost two years after Dr. Kassabs scare and destruction of Donnas left foot, Donna has got a functional right leg, with healed heel ulcer, and nicely healing TMA site with no need for any blood restoration, according to U of M Hospital doctors. In 2010, we learned additional information about Donnas condition and orbital atherectomy. Donna had collateral blood flow to her feet, which Dr. Kassab never discussed or addressed. We needed to know about collateral blood flow. We needed to know the difference between eschar and limb threatening gangrene. Now we do know. But its too late. Orbital atherectomy, was too new and too experimental to be attempted on the legs of a patient like Donna, already suffering enough. Dr. Kassab was smart enough to know that if just one risk was mentioned, Donna would have said no. Dr. Kassab should have welcomed all other medical opinions instead of scaring a patient with eminent loss of legs to strategically cut out another doctors diagnosis. He is responsible for the pre-surgery scare tactics, the brutal treatment, and limb threatening negligence at Oakwood Hospital. He is responsible for letting Donna leave Oakwood Hospital with a dying foot he caused, regardless of what happened to Dr. Fongs report that should have stopped the ill fated discharge. Neither Dr. Kassab, nor anyone from his clinic, has ever attempted to contact Donna or me since the orbital atherectomy to find out what she did or how she was recovering. It appeared Dr. Kassab and/or his office manage/sister, Leila (Kassab)Dabbous, made certain there would be no record of our plea for emergency help on June 5, 2008. No record of the 10-minute plea for help exists. There was only a self-serving fabricated statement from our earlier unresolved visit, where Doctor Kassab abruptly walked out, apparently frustrated with Donnas despair and indecision.Circumstances show that Dr. Kassab and his clinic manager, Leila Dabbous were obviously unconcerned about Donnas health crisis. It appears Dr. Kassab or someone fabricated his medical records in an attempt to justify his un-doctor-like, and guarded behavior. Donna was disfigured as a result of the man we liked and trusted, who we now consider to be just a sophisticated con artist in a white coat.Since we have brought Dr. Elias Kassabs integrity into serious question, we are hopeful that skilled medical professionals are available to examine the films (from both hospitals) of Donnas legs to determine the extent of collateral blood flow before and after orbital atherectomy. We feel that the Criminal Division of the Michigan Attorney Generals Office, or other appropriate division, should also hear our complaint and consider investigating Dr. Kassab for violation of the Consumer Protection Act by ordering a dangerous procedure and intentionally concealing information about medical risks regarding orbital atherectomy and suppression of important related facts for a sizable portion of the $45,303 Michigan Blue Cross payout, causing subsequent loss of leg. He should also be thoroughly investigated for any associated fraud and falsification (or intentional omission) of medical records as motivation to avoid any detection of wrong doing. (I have the suspect records and would like an opportunity to point out all the fabrications and omissions.)I have cited only three days of Dr. Kassabs deception, maiming, and negligence, with just one trusting patient. What about other patients? Have other patients been conned into needless and dangerous, big payoff, procedures without proper warnings? If he is greedy and out of control with his patients as he was with Donna, he needs to be stopped and dealt with harshly. It has been two years since the orbital atherectomy and we are unsure of the appropriate authorities or statute of limitations for our allegations. On behalf of Donna, please forward this complaint to Michigan Attorney General, Michael Cox, and the Criminal Division of the Michigan Attorney Generals Office as soon as possible for consideration of possible charges.We hope this letter is not too late. Thank you for your consideration.Donna and Richard Margittay

Mark as Helpful  | 7 people found this helpful Report Abuse
  • Currently 4 of 4 stars
 |  Ms. Mary D'Agostino  |  show details
Mar 3rd, 2011

Dr. Kassab saved my life when I was having a heart attack. He is the kindest doctor I have EVER met.