Dr. Elisa Port Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Elisa Port?

June 30th, 2017

The best, and also a nice person to have when you're going through this type of ordeal.

Excellent surgeon, knowledgeable, will spend time with you as needed, kind.

June 15th, 2017

Keep shopping -- You can do better.

Elisa Port did my lumpectomy through the Dubin Center. I did not bounce back that well. Instead I had a lot of problems. Being stuck with how I physically didn’t heal was a daily reminder of how I mentally didn’t heal. She really didn’t want to deal with those issues.    After a year, she basically told me to get over it and added that “it wasn’t like I had a double mastectomy.” I stopped seeing her immediately after that appointment.   I learned too late that technical expertise alone doesn’t make a great surgeon. A genuine connection between the doctor and patient can help a patient recover better when problems arise.  A real test of patient care is how a doctor handles complaints.  I fell into a category of patients who had various long-term issues after surgery.  Elisa Port completely failed to help me deal with those problems.  She just made them worse.     The Dubin Center is a good place with many fine, dedicated professionals. However, Port wields way too much power, is protected by big money people and has a narcissistic profile type. Avoid her and find another surgeon.

October 23rd, 2016

Think twice before using this doctor. She does not review her patients medical records and is constantly rushing to another appointment. She hands you off to the plastic surgeon without ensuring proper communication. She does not like to be asked questions. A serious mistake was made where I needed to receive blood from a blood bank. Procedures are not clearly explained nor are risks. Follow up care is non existent.

August 20th, 2016

My experience with Dr. Port was a very negative one, so much so that this is the first time that I am bothering to review a doctor, one of many at the age of 60. From beginning to end, other than the scheduling of the initial appointment with a diagnosis of a very small, early and good-prognosis breast lump, everything went downhill from there. And this doctor knew not only that she was dealing with another doctor and colleague (not that that should ideally matter), but also one seasoned in many years of clinical research. The initial consultation must have been one of the easiest and shortest she has ever done, appropriately so. Yet she could not help herself but to give me her standard talk, starting out with mastectomy vs lumpectomy. It was beyond clear than in my case mastectomy would have been madness, yet she looked very offended when i interrupted to state I was set on a lumpectomy, and replied that she was obligated to give her whole 101 talk. So i respectfully sat through it, and then pulled out my well prepared and brief list of several questions that actually pertained to my case. She immediately started looking at her watch, and her frustration was palpable. She refused to discuss the possible size of the lumpectomy, given my biopsy results. When I attempted to go over the biopsy and ask her about prognosis based on the different receptor findings, she patronizingly stated that I had the "good" ones and not the "bad" ones. Still rushed. Because my lesion was hormone responsive, it was clear I needed to come off my postmenopausal hormone treatment of 13 years, overseen by a national expert. She stated I should stop them that same day (in fact after over a decade there is no reason to crash, and a few weeks make absolutely no difference). When I inquired about this, she replied, how do you know you will crash, you may not. Of course i did, terrible irritability, insomnia and hot flashes. Finally when I told her that I had had a seond opinion with another well-known doctor (everyone should or at least has the understandable right to do so when diagnosed with cancer) she looked terribly threatened, and wanted to hearing nothing of the discrepancies in the two opinions. Of note, the other consultant had spontaneously urged me to get a second opinion. After the consultation and scheduled surgery, more continued to go wrong, in part due to her and in part to her office staff and the Dubin Center in general. One week before scheduled surgery I had still not been called in for the pre-op overview, which includes medications that must be stopped one week in advance: i pursued it myself. My visit times for lump seed implantation and nuclear medicine lymph node identification were erroneously switched around. I ended up at the wrong place at the wrong time, and only after i waited for over an hour and inquired was I told it was their mistake. Much worse, the day of surgery I arrive alone (by choice) to Mount Sinai surgical admissions at 7am sharp as instructed, only to find out by the alarmed and apologetic admission staff that the Dubin Center not only had not passed on to them my surgery clearance, but also were nowhere to be found before 9am: really, no beeper? Finally I get to the OR area, having been assured that I will have a couple minutes to speak with the busy doctor and ask two questions that I had. She comes out and asks: can you talk hear or you want a private room? (which was few steps away). Right next to me, awaiting surgery, was a young man in his 20's. This question is not just an outrageous hippa violation, but more importantly profoundly thoughtless, insensitive, and rushed. I asked, quickly, about the approximate size of the lumpectomy, especially given my tiny cancer and small breasts, and she replies that she cannot give me a rough estimate - the other breast surgeon had. Asked about the likelihood of neurological sequelae with only one lymph node coming out, she dismissively answered that it is very unlikely but can happen. Well, whether she had to rush through the delayed surgery, or whether it would have happened anyway because no doctor always has a perfect day, I awakened from anesthesia with dense numbness and paresthesias of my entire upper arm and shoulder area, which is unchanged one month later. After the surgery, both the anesthesiologist and the OR staff called to ask how I was, but not the Dubin Center. Subsequently my post-op appointment where I would find out my pathology results was bumped to later, adding a whole weekend to my wait. Although i fully understand that schedules can change, I asked that my pathology be made known to me when it came out, not days later. I was completely ignored by the office staff until I sent a fax (i.e. put in writing) and then got an immediate response. Of course my pathology was out 5 days prior to the rescheduled appointment, and i was able to get the good news in a timely fashion (as any cancer patient deserved to) only because I fought for it. In my post-op visit with the doctor one week after surgery, she was again rushed. My armpit looked and felt like a hard golf-ball, and it was clear it should have been aspirated there and then. But she was careless, and thoughtless, and failed to offer for the nurse to come in and aspirate, or do it herself. She said it may have to be aspirated in the future, so after an additional week of suffering I myself made a follow up appointment with the nurse, who aspirated almost 40cc of fluid, leading to immediate relief. In the meanwhile I had tried to contact the whoever covering doctor over the weekend, and got no response for 8 hrs! The page operator herself called me a few times to apologize for the doctor on call not answering the beeper! So, my contact with the surgery team is now, thankfully, over. Please chose another doctor and another center for your breast cancer surgery. True caring for patients is not a pasted, pseudoempathic smile. It is important to note though that both the P.A. Deborah and the R.N. Lynn were truly lovely, experienced, highly responsive, kind, and very helpful

October 4th, 2015

On the morning of my lumpectomy, Dr. Port informed me that she would also need to do, on the other breast, an excisional biopsy (almost as invasive and scarring as a lumpectomy). This was based on an inconclusive test and erroneous information she had written in my chart (she thought I had BRCA-2) . She did not apologize for the mistake.

June 5th, 2015

Great Doctor

Dr. Port made me feel so comfortable before and after surgery. Her upbeat personality and wonderful bedside manner made my cancer diagnosis bearable!

May 2nd, 2015

Superior doctor

The most amazing surgeon you could ever encounter

April 16th, 2015

Dr. Port came highly recommended, and I have no reason to doubt her technical skill. However, I would rate my experience with her and her office as mediocre at best. Wait time was atrocious (on both visits); I was manhandled/paraded by a million different people at the first visit especially (VERY impersonal); and worst of all, I did not feel that she was especially comfortable with questions--perhaps even resents them--she jumped down my throat at one point for asking a question. I am glad others had such positive experiences with her & her office, but for myself, if I ever, God forbid, get a worse diagnosis than the one I saw her for, I will go to someone else. It is New York City after all--there are a lot of options out there.

January 8th, 2015

Dr Port Is the only surgeon anybody should use . I was lucky enough to get an appointment with her immediately. She took me every step of the way to understand and diagnosed my situation. She is professional and very supportive in every way.

September 24th, 2014

Best doctor

There are doctors and then there is Dr. Port. She is a standout and there aren't many like her. She is an incredible surgeon and person. I trusted her one hundred percent and she was kind on top of it all.

October 10th, 2013

Dr. Port

I just had surgery with Dr. Port and I want the world to know that from the receptionist to the check in desk to the nurse to the PA then right to Dr. Port what I experienced was above and beyond anything I have ever seen. The compassion and professionalism wasn't to be believed and the waiting room made you feel like you were at a spa rather then at a Doctors office. Best of all I never waited more then 5 minutes to be seen. The day of surgery I was upset and nervous yet the entire staff handled with so much love and compassion. They made a scary day so comfortable.

July 27th, 2012

Couldn't have been more fortunate

I couldn't have been more fortunate than to have had Dr. Port as my surgeon. I feel confident that the reason that I am now 11 yrs. cancer free is because of her expertise. She is a caring professional. Both she and her staff will do all they can to put you at ease. She takes the time to listen which is rare. I would recommend Dr. Port to my friends and family without reservation.