Dr. Elizabeth North Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Elizabeth North?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

Neutral

April 6th, 2017

Beware the Bigot Clinic

I tried to see Dr. North at the NW Neurology Bigot Clinic today and I can't imagine how it could have gone worse. It took many phone calls to get the appointment made (specialists offices can be so difficult, but this was absurd). Every time I called I got the same older woman on the phone, and every time I had to ask her to call me my preferred name, not by my given name. On a few phone calls, I had to ask her more than once. In total, I think I asked her somewhere close to 10 times before my actual appointment date (today), and had asked her to note it in my file so it wouldn't keep happening. Today, in an attempt to preemptively avoid the embarrassment, I tried to generously give her a reminder before she could mess up, when I walked in I started right off with: Hi, my name is Preferred Name/Last Name and I have a 2:00 with Dr North. She looked at a piece of paper and asked for my last name. Me: Last Name - l a s t n a m e, my name is Preferred Name/Last Name. Her: Given Name? Me: Please, I've asked you 10 times not to call me by my given name. Please only call me Preferred Name. Her: This is your first time here? Me: Yes. Her: We have you listed as Given Name. Me: I understand that. But that's my given name and I've spoken to you many times over the phone and keep asking you not to call me that. At this point a second employee at the next desk over decides to join the conversation and says: Well we would have no way of knowing that. Me: Actually I've told her at least 10 times over the phone and I walked up and gave my preferred name just now. The second employee continues to defend the first woman, talking over me and not listening. Me: Do you understand how disrespectful it is to insist on calling a trans person by their given name? At this point it becomes a blur as they both start speaking over me, showing zero interest in listening, and zero compassion. They hand me paperwork, which I go fill out in the waiting area. A third person comes out and I get called back by my preferred name. There is unnecessary emphasis placed on the name, but at least it's correct. Once I got into the little room with the doctor I broke down in tears and explained what happened with the staff out front. How I just want to find a neurologist. How many phone calls it took to make the appointment. How I had to correct the woman on the phone every time. How I'd asked her to tag my file. How I tried to be generous by starting the conversation right off with my preferred name. Etc. I outlined the whole thing and suggested that maybe the staff out front needed sensitivity training. Doctor North's response: It's unfortunate that this happens, but you should be more patient with people. I was totally taken aback. My mouth literally fell open as she deflected and gaslighted the whole thing onto me: that I wasn't patient enough. How patient does a patient have to be? Should I wait until the 20th phone call? The 5th visit? At what point am I allowed to be offended by their bigotry? Me: I have been extremely patient. Doctor North: Would you like to discuss why you're here today. Me, thinking about the prospect of this compassionless bigot sticking needles in my head: Ya know, I no longer know why I'm here. It's clear that your entire office needs sensitivity training. Doctor North: Okay. And then she got up and opened the door for me to leave. I left the appointment without a discussion of my medical concerns, without being treated with any sort of respect or dignity. And frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if these self-righteous bigots try to make something happen wherein I get charged for the visit and insurance won't cover it. Needless to say, I won't be going back to see Dr. North, or anyone at NW Neurology.

May 3rd, 2016

GET ME OUT OF HERE!

Spent 7 minutes on a *First* visit. Very cursory exam, very brief glance over the paperwork (which becomes important). Short interview, few questions, few follow-ups or clarifying questions, didn't seem interested in what I had to add, any information that I thought might be pertinent (like the disc issue at C 6-7). She made her diagnosis without seeing the MRI or CT scan results. I think she thought 'Overweight white woman, severe headaches, on SSI, I'm not going to get paid much for this, throw meds at her and shove her out of here'. Turns out though, the meds she prescribed are contraindicated for a major health condition I have- which was on the paperwork that she glanced over so briefly. And also is not to be taken with 8 of my daily meds- also listed on that paperwork. And no, it hasn't helped. And now I have to deal with the nightmare of getting off of the stuff! Oh- And I tried to get in touch with her- through the email system that they pushed on me-supposedly you'd get a response from someone within 2 business days. Been 3 weeks since my first try. Nothing. And the last time I called, I finally got someone who didn't just say 'Uh-huh. I'll leave a message'- this woman actually put me on hold, came back and said 'Well, she's on rounds, but apparently your file has been on her desk waiting for medical review since the 19th.' The 19th? What??? That was a week after the first time I saw her! What has she been doing all this time? Well, Now I have to face the nightmare of talking the insurance into letting me find another neurologist, because I'm not staying with her if I have anything to say about it!

March 7th, 2016

She clearly does not give a hoot about me or my problem, just how she looks in her outfit that day! She does not even bother to try to bone up on the newest info in her field regarding my problem - headache. Sad.

July 24th, 2014

Compassion and respect is clearly not her specialty

Dr. North is rude and she seems uncaring and unconcerned. I felt like I was bothering her.... I wouldn't send my dog to her! She didn't explain what she was doing and barely spoke at all! I have to have the same test repeated and wouldn't return to her if she was the last neurologist on earth. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. She needs a position with little to ZERO person to person interaction.

April 12th, 2012

very cold uncaring woman

very rude, doctor and staff!! acted like we were a interuption of her day !!!we were hung up on and calls never returned! she would hang up on other doctors!! she didnt seem to want to be there!!! other doctors in the same building told us to git another doctor dont waste your time and money

February 11th, 2010

Waited forever

Each time we have visited Dr. North, we've waited at least 30 minutes. She is a very cold unfeeling woman. Try another Dr., this one isn't worth your time.

April 26th, 2017