Family Physicians
Avion
220 N Tuttle Ave
Sarasota, FL 34237
941-366-0800
Locations and availability (5)

2.5

by John Kent on Aug 25th, 2014

Dr. Varney is very attentive and thorough. She is very courteous and listens to what I have to say. She is a very sweet person.

|  Worst Doctor visit I've ever had. EVER  |  show details
Apr 23rd, 2014

I went in recently to see this doctor (new patient) about a minor sore throat and though her office staff was friendly and helpful, she blew me away with how rude and useless she was. Not only could she not properly diagnose me, she spent about two seconds examining my throat and nearly 20 minutes berating me about my weight. I will say, I'm a SLIGHTLY overweight person but when I informed her of my recent diet and exercise regimen and told her about my recent weigh tloss progress, she simply told me that "wasn't good enough" and told me I'd never lose my excess fat without basically starving myself on an insanely low calorie diet based on European standards. Then she started asking me about my last pap and told me I was fine as long as I was with the same partner since my last normal pap. Bu then added "unless he's running around on you because men do that." So not only did she basically call me fat and tell me that diet and exercise wasn't good enough (I've never had a doctor tell me this before), but she then told me not to be surprised if my partner was cheating on me. UNBELIEVABLE. I took the prescription for antibiotics for my throat and got the heck out of there. I will NEVER go back. I recommend everyone stay FAR FAR away from here!

|  This doctor needs her license yanked... STAT!  |  show details
by Brad Fair on Dec 6th, 2013

Hello everyone. I hope that you will all take my review into DEEP consideration before setting an appointment with this so called doctor. My experience on December 5th 2013 - My wife is in the advanced stages of Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis, is wheelchair bound, and in constant and extreme agony due to the demylenation of hundreds of millions nerve endings in her spinal cord and brain. We just moved out here to Florida from California and needed to establish a primary care physician right away for my wife due to the complexity of her condition. We paid cash for the visit to the tune of $160.00 (a little steep), filled out new patient forms for my wife and brought with us all of her medical records. After filling out the new patient forms I wheeled my wife outside so she could smoke a cigarette. I then went back inside to listen for my wifes name to be called while she smoked her cigarette. When the doctor inquired of my wifes whereabouts i told her she was outside smoking and that i would wheel her in. This joke of a doctor then informed me that she would not see my wife because she didnt want the smell of cigarette smoke in the office. ??? I had to ask her to again confirm what i thought i heard and was TOTALLY blown away by her lack of regard for my wife's needs as a VERY sick person in need of a doctor. Also when i previously asked the receptionist for a cup of water for my sick wife i was told with a flat look that they had no water. REALLY?!!!! These people are rude, and reckless with no regard for human decency or respect for human life. My wife left in tears because of this ruthless, reckless doctor and her staff (the homely and morbidly obese lady that said there was no water in the building). This doctor should be shut down based on other reviews and my personal experience. Upside was she handed back my 160.00 payment but we were still out 60.00 in cab fares get there and back. We ultimately paid 60.00 to be treated as less than human. A very sour, unhappy, and miserable doctor. Stay away from this one, people.

|  New Patient Visit  |  show details
by Tracey S on Nov 11th, 2013

Waited two weeks for new patient appointment, sat in waiting room for one hour twenty minutes when the only assistant who apparently is office girl, appointment setter, room set up and every thing else that I could see; to tell me my insurance company still showed my old primary doctor and they either could not see me or I would have to pay full visit as if no insurance. Very poor, she should have done that when I first arrived rather than to have me sit all that time. No way would I ever consider setting another appointment with this doctor. I left without being seen! Had to check the last five options with 1 star just to get this to post.

Sep 25th, 2013

Don't visit this Dr.She cruel, no generous or kind She doesn't like to listen people and her face expressions show hate and anger.

by Carly S. on Aug 31st, 2013

Don't go see this doctor. My appt was at 830 When I got there she wasn't even there. Showed up late and then I still waited on her. Finally got in the room and she didn't listen to anything I said, instead talked about herself and how she was tired and stressed. My appt was at 830 am and I didn't leave until 130pm and I left without even having my health issues addressed

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Jul 17th, 2013

I love Dr. Varney. She is very knowledgeable and takes as much time as one needs. I never feel rushed like some doctors who keep their hand on the door-knob. Now that I changed health insurance co., I hope to find a doctor as compassionate as Dr. Varney.

|  STAY AWAY  |  show details
Jun 18th, 2013

App at 2. Didn't see "dr." until 3:30. She walked in, asked me what was wrong, I told her the problem (which she did not even address), then she proceeded to tell me what an animal I was because I am FAT. She did not use the term overweight once, just FAT. She told me that I wasn't beautiful because I am FAT and that I have no life goals and would not go anywhere in life because of my size. I can handle someone telling me that I am overweight, I see it EVERY DAY for myself. I knew that my weight would be brought up but in the manner that it was, it was appalling. I left in tears and feeling like a worthless loser! WILL NEVER GO BACK AND NEITHER SHOULD YOU

|  Not happy  |  show details
Jun 9th, 2013

I would not choose this Dr again. She did not appear to be very knowledgeable .

|  EXcellent and caring doctor.  |  show details
Sep 10th, 2012

It was wonderful to find a knowledgeable and caring Doctor that actually spends time with you

|  HORRIBLE!  |  show details
Aug 15th, 2012

She is horrible. Insulted me up and down. Didn't listen to anything I said. Very opinionated and mean. DO NOT GO TO HER! I am telling everyone I know. She is a cruel person.

|  don't go there  |  show details
Aug 14th, 2012

Too abrupt, negative, opinionated and rude!!

|  The best Doctor!  |  show details
Nov 3rd, 2011

Out of all of the doctors I have been to, Dr. Varney is the best! She is so caring, and loving. She goes out of her way to help people. She takes the time to listen to you, and if needed, she explains everything in full. I love her and her staff. Highly recommended!recom

|  My Doctor she is the Best!  |  show details
Oct 12th, 2011

she is very professional,educated,she is caring,she copassionate, she tells you what to do to heal you, she will find out what ill you have, she find a specialist if you need one, she is a great Physician.

|  Love her!  |  show details
Oct 4th, 2011

I love this dr. When I see her it feels like seeing a well educated loving family member who cares for you. I have a complicated issues and she has referred me to specialist that in fact confirm her thoughts on my issues. I was really sick and she came by my house to see if I was ok. Make no mistake, she tells you how she sees but she also listens to me before jumping to conclusions. I would trust her with my life.

|  Find another Doctor!  |  show details
May 13th, 2011

I'm looking for another doctor. I had the first appt and she didn't she came in an hour late. ok maybe she got caught up but then she looked like she was on drugs. she would not let me talk, she finished my sentences with her own conclusions which were wrong! I have medical proof of my conditions and she brushed me off as if nothing was wrong with me. she talked over me the entire time. It was my first time seeing her, I had all medical records with me and she didn't even bother looking at them. it was as if she took one look at me and had diagnosed me of what she thought not what medical records actually proved. Unbelievable!

|  Excellent Doctor!!!!  |  show details
Mar 30th, 2011

She is very well educated, while at the same time open minded almost to the point of empathy. She really takes the time to know her patients, not their symptoms. She LISTENS... And takes the time to explain. This is NOT your McDonald's medical drive-thru... Highly recommended!!!

Nov 29th, 2010

If you're looking for a quick [but not cheap] way to loose weight Dr.Varney is your lady! I just went their for an annual physical but, after being informed by her receptionist that she "specializes in natural weight loss", tried a very strict diet of hers that was supposed to help with weight loss and my high blood pressure.I did, in fact, loose weight. But, she has the bedside manners of an impatient and close-minded child. If it's important to you to have a Dr that is willing to listen to your concerns and explain their methods....she does not specialize in either.I left her office in tears and will never be visiting her again.

|  Care for her patients  |  show details
by CJ Britton on Jan 26th, 2010

I highly recommend Dr. Varney. You will leave her office feeling you have found a Doctor who truly cares about your condition, your concerns and the best course to take regarding your health. She is extremely ethical and skilled in all that she does. She is very direct when speaking to you which I believe is healthier than someone wanting to see you week after week with no resolve.

Oct 13th, 2009

Very abrupt in her manner.

|  Dr. Varney is an excellent M.D.  |  show details
by Robert Christian, Sarasota, Fl on Oct 11th, 2009

I have used many doctors in my life. I find Dr. Varney is an excellent physician and provides excellent care and diagnostics.

|  Fred Robinson  |  show details
Aug 21st, 2009

Dr. Varney is an excellent physician.Very knowledgeable in the field of Medicine.