Dr. Ella Varney Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Ella Varney?

Binge Eating Disorder

Binge Eating Disorder

Have you seen Dr. Ella Varney?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

September 22nd, 2017

Unprofessional and Rude

If I could give this zero stars, I would. I have never dealt with a doctor who was this unprofessional. I called and made an appointment to discuss a few different issues I was experiencing since she is my PCP. I explained to the gentleman who booked my appt that I was interested in my physical appt, he added a pap smear on to it, and noted my other concerns. Like usual, I wait over an hour and a half to be seen by Dr. Varney as they overbook and understaff. The nurse Julia was a fill-in from Dr. Chi's office in Bradenton (a podiatrist). Julia takes my vitals and I express all my concerns to her that I need addressed by Dr. Varney. She is kind and upfront with my questions. Dr. Varney comes in (I am undressed for the pap smear), and complains to Julia that she cannot work her laptop. Julia apologizes and asks if she should call IT when Dr. Varney says no with an eyeroll. As Dr. Varney is waiting for the computer to work, I asked Julia a question; when she answered me, Dr. Varney snapped on her saying it was her lunch time and she needed to be the only one speaking in the room so that the exam could wrap up as quickly as possible. Embarrassing for the nurse, disrespectful to me. Julia then moves to the corner of the room to stay out of Dr. Varney's way. She begins the exam and is having difficulty with the tools. Julia goes to assist and they both start dropping things from what I can hear. I wasn't upset about the fumbling, we're human and I get it. As Dr. Varney continues, she gets a call on her cell, and claims she has to take it. I do not know if it was her personal or work related cell but from my understanding, she is NOT an on-call physician. She proceeded to take the call while she continues my exam. UNBELIEVABLE. I hear her call and it's basically, "Jim? Jim? I can't hear you," and she hangs up. She finishes up, tells the nurse to help me, and then yells at the nurse for helping me before the table/I was lowered back to the ground. As I'm waiting for her to finish typing, she asks about my pregnancy history. We discuss my daughter, etc. She does the breast exam and asks if I'm still breastfeeding. I said no, my daughter stopped at 13mo. She then proceeds to tell my that I should have stopped at 9mo; the nurse Julia then piped in to say she agreed with Dr. Varney. I said excuse me, but that's something I can discuss with my pediatrician and isn't what I came for today. She continues saying I should have only breastfed as long as I carried my daughter; I should not have exceeded 9mo; and that she has seen children with slack jaw and special needs due to breastfeeding too long. I then sternly tell her this is not up for debate, end of discussion. Next, she says I need to stop eating bread, rice, pasta and sweets altogether or I will never be in good flora health. I asked what she recommends in place and she said I need to stop eating like a bird, I wasn't meant to ingest such things. She leaves the room, I assume just so I can get dressed and she'll be back. As Julia turns to leave, I ask to verify that she is coming back and she said no, the appt was over. I then get upset and say, "wait no, I brought all those concerns to you that I need answers for!" She turns to tell Dr. Varney who comes in and says she isn't there to answers questions since this was just a physical. I AM FLOORED. I said I made this appt with those notes made so you'd be aware. She told me I am to make an appt for EACH question if I want answers; she cannot give me more time other than what was given. I asked her if I was being denied due to her lunch time. She said nothing. I didn't even have the physical done!! She did a pap smear and left!! I will never be back to Dr. Varney, I'm having this situation handled. If you are reading this and wondering about the service you'll be receiving, it will be sub-par with extended wait times. I strongly encourage you to look elsewhere and use this doctor as a LAST RESORT. Before I completely left the office, I turned to take a picture of something on the wall (to give feedback on my service), and I heard her tell Julia to hurry and order lunch. BEWARE.

September 13th, 2017

I shouldn't even give a star

This Dr told my husband she was burned out. She is a whack job. She told me to stop eating all bread and wheat . rice and potato products bc it is bad for me and that our bodies are not made to digest that stuff, when all i told her was i wanted blood work bc i felt i had a gluten allergy. She said blood work is not needed and I need to stop to figure it out, and then says rudely "Wellyou want my advice or not!"This is the only patient education she gave me and I was there for a complete physical. When I told her I didnt think i could cut that food out she stared at me with a dirty look without saying anything for like 5 min. Made me feel stupid and did not reassure me of anything. I was told she was leaving in 2 weeks, I am a new patient and I should of been told she was leaving. She was cold and negative, snotty and should go back to her country in Russia or Tibet or wherever and practice as a dishwasher and throw herself in while shes at it. Take your Maserti and your stupid Chanel shoes and leave this country all together, You Do NOT deserve the privledge to work with humans

May 24th, 2017

Caring and compassionate

I barely sit down in the waiting room before I am taken in. Dr. Varney had an excellent bedside manner. Love her philosophy and feel VERY comfortable with her extensive knowledge .

January 11th, 2017

she needs to get out of her profession

I really don't know how she got in the field. She feels that anyone that smokes pot is stupid, she feels that drinking distilled water is great for the body; she gave me a wrong diagnosis with my neck hurting, saying it could be something in my stomach (turns out I have a nodule on my thyroid) she feels that meditation is the end all when it comes the end of a stressful day and thinks that drinking wine is harmful for your body; told me to never drink it again; she actually raised her voice and tried to flip it around, when I told her I do get stressed out from difficult customers and being on the floor all day. I never want to see her again. I walked out of that office.

December 30th, 2016

Great Experience!!

Very impressed with Dr. Varney! She really took the time to explain things to me and made sure every question I had was answered.

November 5th, 2016

I had a pretty decent visit.

yes, I waited awhile, but the staff was nice and very helpful. She noticed that I had a large thyroid in my neck and very perceptive. I have no idea where the reviews of her manners come about, because she was very nice. I didn't find her rude or obnoxious or anything. Yes, she is soft spoken and she has an accent, but I feel she was very helpful.

September 15th, 2016

Do not go to this doctor!! I was told do eat rabbit & forrest food. Also, to drink chicken blood! On top of that she is very rude and made me very uncomfortable.

July 14th, 2016

Highly disorganized office

A family member of mine recently switched to this doctor's office. We are highly regretting it, and don't trust this office to save our lives. We are going to look for a new doctor's office. Staff are congenial enough. I've seen comments about the brusque manner of Dr. Varney. I honestly believe that this may be due to the fact that some people from other countries are more abrupt and not as smiley as Americans. However, the office is highly disorganized. I called in a refill for a medication, no medication delivered. I called back to follow up, different person had no record that I even called before with the request prior. I asked again for the refill to be called into the pharmacy. Called back later to check that it was submitted before the pharmacy's delivery time. Was told that the relative I was calling about would need to come in for a refill. This relative is a medically frail elderly adult on a long list of medications. Is this relative supposed to go to the doctor's office for every refill she needs? Doctor's office she had before would call in refills to her pharmacy. Though the medication she needs a refill on is important but not critical like her heart medication, I am highly afraid of how her more important heart meds would be handled. I don't trust this doctor's office at all. Going to look elsewhere.

December 9th, 2015

TERRIBLE DOCTOR

Dr Varney doesn't have a secretary so she answers the phone during your visit after waiting almost two hours to see her. I hear she's been through five secretaries in the last year. I was told to come in for blood results then she claimed she didn't have them and no longer accepted my insurance while I was there. After finding results and blaming Quest Diagnostics for everything she wouldn't give me the results unless I paid for them! She said she wasn't a printing shop! It seemed like she cared about herself and not her patients. I wouldn't recommend this doctor under any circumstances.

October 27th, 2015

I should have ran out when I had the chance

I was in the the exam room when I decided to read the reviews on this doctor! Lol I wanted to leave. I waited nearly an hour to see her. Two words into our visit she mocked me on my reaction to the critical way she reacted to what I said. She did not give me a complete medical exam to what I came in for. She ordered a blood panel and included a CPK which I dont understand I did not complain about chest pain. She criticized healthy foods that I was on like yogurt and oatmeal. Told me to eat Rabbit. She blamed our American government for the way we eat and think. She is a Russian doctor that speaks poorly and only understand maybe half of what she said. I will look for another doctor and get a more extensive exam. Her office is not very nice neither is her equipment. Think twice about seeing her she's not knowledgeable . She just wants to push her backward Russian beliefs on you. If you find yourself getting an exam please seek a second opinion

October 26th, 2015

Dr. Varney has been a great resource for me. My highest compliment is that she "Listens to me" unlike many doctors whom I feel lack the ability to "hear" the patient. Dr. Varney spends the time to understand my issue(s). I admire and appreciate her bedside manner. Her office is small and admittedly sometimes I wait longer than I might like to see her but it's a small price to pay in time to obtain her tremendous personal attention and understanding. Thank you Dr. Varney!

September 28th, 2015

SHOULD LOSE HER LICENSE TO PRACTICE MEDICINE.

This doctor should not be practicing medicine. Every doctor takes an oath to treat their patients and this one apparently missed that part of med school. She literally told me "I'm not going to waste [insurance company]'s money to run that test on you" and then proceeded to verbally attack me and my lifestyle. I left in the middle of my appointment so upset I was crying. I will never go back to this doctor and I will continue to tell all my friends and family to NEVER go to this doctor.