Dr. Ellen Gim MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.7

August 23rd, 2015
Extremely unprofessional behavior and performance.
I was transported to Saddleback ER via ambulance/911 due to chest pain and extreme weakness. Dr. Gim was assigned to me. After numerous diagnostic tests, she was unable to locate a cause and advised I stay overnight under observation, but not willing to admit me. I could have been admitted with a diagnosis of angina. My personal physician had previously advised me to call him if I was not admitted without qualifications. I contacted my physician to speak with Dr. Gim. She was 18 inches away from the phone and refused to talk with him. She stated that we should have him call her. She refused to speak with my primary, who had knowledge of my medical history available to share with her. She did not diagnose my condition, nor did she order further tests to determine the cause of my chest pain. She didn't respond to my experiences that day. I left Saddleback's ER and my primary physician immediately referred me to a top cardiologist, who ordered an angioplasty and suggested a stent might be in order. It turned out that I had an artery that was 80% blocked and had suffered a mild heart attack. I under went the angioplasty and DID require a stent, which improved my health immeasurably. The blockage to Distal Cx. artery was behind the heart. No attempt was made by Dr. Gim to explore further possibilities and go the extra mile to make an accurate and thorough diagnosis. My experiences with Dr. Gim only delayed a professional and accurate diagnosis. Her lack of professional cooperation and courtesy delayed my ability to receive timely medical care. Dr. Gim intended to have me placed under observation and undergo a stress test, which would have induced a full blown heart attack. From the time of my arrival at the Saddleback ER to receiving a stent at Mission was a day and a half.

November 17th, 2012
I can speak from two experiences. The first involved my husband who was critically ill in ICU and we were forced to make a change in hospitalists having dealt with an incompetent doctor. She took over the case and was extremely kind, efficient and caring. She was very sensitive to the extreme case she was dealing with and truly eased our load and addressed our concerns. Ironically, I found myself in a critical situation and she rescued me as well. She came on the bungled case and immediately corrected a misdiagnosed situation by ordering a CT scan which we had been requesting, analyzed and set things straight and, again, was very kind and compassionate. I recommend her highly!

October 22nd, 2012
Saddleback Memorial Hospital
Dr. Ellen Gim was my Attending Physician while I was at Saddleback Memorial Hospital. She was not only difficult to talk too and deal with, she continually misdiagnosed me for 2 weeks. When I was finally able to talk with a Patient Advocate, I was told it wasn't malicious. That's comforting. I had to "fire" her as my Attending Physician and then find someone else on my own. Not easy for someone who is sick and doesn't know the doctors in the hospital.I was also told by other hospital staff that it wasn't me. She is difficult to work with and not liked by others.If you're assigned to her during a hospital stay, I would recommend asking for a different doctor before she touches you.