Internist, Gastroenterologist (digestive)

3.0

Go Elsewhere unless you want to wait 3/4 to an hour past appt time and til never to receive a response from the doctor to a call or e-mail show details Go Elsewhere unless you want to wait 3/4 to an hour past appt time and til never to receive a response from the doctor to a call or e-mail
by Experienced Healthcare Consumer Who Should Have Known Better on Jul 21st, 2016

I have seen Dr. Stein 4 times in the past 2 years. She seemed sharp and took a good history and had some new ideas. However, when I followed up on her suggestion to see a dietician regarding the low FODMAPS diet, I had trouble finding out if insurance would cover the $300 per visit. I also had medication questions. After calling several numbers at her office 3 times, and leaving messages nobody called me back. I found another number and was told the other numbers were incorrect, despite the fact that they were in the gastroenterology department. Shouldn't someone call me back to let me know that or refer the message? When I complained at the next visit which was 5 months later, she apologized but seemed unconcerned. She also stated that certain medications should not cause headaches discounted my experience with medications that I have tried previously and I informed her that I have had several decades' worth of experience with my body and with dealing with my migraines and know what triggers them. Still, I stayed with this provider, thinking she had some new ideas that might be worth waiting for. She is always at least 45 minutes beyond the appt time and when I ask ahead of time how late she's running, I never get a straight answer. Two visits ago, she mentioned that she would make a case for me to be included in a study and that if I was accepted, I would hear in January. No call ever came. OK, she was forthright about that. She said If I wanted to see her before the next 6 month visit, to call to see if any openings were available. I tried twice and the scheduling was beyond the "usual" 6 month time. 2 1/2 months later, I was offered by e-mail a visit with a nurse practitioner. I declined that because my case is so complicated and I have tried the usual. When I saw her in May, she suggested a medication which I have tried before and which triggered migraines. She wanted me to try it for 2 months and if I was not better, to call her assistant and she would want to schedule an exploratory procedure. I agreed to try again. After doing so at several dosage levels, I had the same result so I called her assistant to ask what else to try and if the doctor wanted to perform the procedure. No response in 1.5 weeks. I e-mailed the doctor through My Chart. No response in another week. I was on the Bayview Campus for another appt by the time just shy of 3 weeks had gone by from the first call. I hand- delivered a letter to a front desk person at gastroenterology. I got a call back from the same assistant almost 6 weeks from my initial call indicating that the doctor had signed an order for the diagnostic procedure which would be done under anesthesia. I asked why a response had taken a day short of 6 weeks and whether she and the doctor got the letter? The assistant responded that the letter had arrived earlier that week and that's what triggered the call. She said it "must have been a mailroom delay". I told her there was no mailroom involved, that I had given the gastroenterology receptionist the letter in person exactly 3 weeks earlier to the day. I said this was an unacceptable response time, and amounted to near patient abandonment, that I was having other gastro issues the doctor should know about and that I had just about moved on to find a new gastroenterologist. I said I would think about the procedure but what would I do if there were issues following that and needed to contact the doctor, how would I be confident of a response? Three days later, I called the assistant and said I was considering the procedure but that I needed to talk to the doctor first. The assistant said the doctor would be in the clinic the next day and that she would e-mail the doctor to call me. I never received a response after FOUR contacts. I should have known better!!! There are 12 hospital systems in a 15 mile radius. IfJohns Hopkins wants to be considered "The Best", it should be responsive to healthcare consumers because there is a competitive market in this area and we consumers can take our health insurance, money and time and spend it more wisely elsewhere. Johns Hopkins does not live up to the hype!

Expected so much more from Johns Hopkins show details Expected so much more from Johns Hopkins
Nov 13th, 2015

Expected to have amazing care because I was going to JHU. Expected to find a doc who thought beyond the box to help me with my disease. I was very disappointed. Her bedside manner is one that does not seem to care or connect with patients. She spent very little time with me and provided report but no face to face or discussion on phone on my test results. Was irritated with questions and did not help me in any way or answer my questions when I left messages on the portal. It was a very disappointing experience when you are going for much needed testing, diagnosis and treatment. I would not recommend Dr. Stein to anyone.

Excellent and caring show details Excellent and caring
by MidgieKI on Jul 13th, 2015

I have seen Dr. Stein 3 or 4 times in total over a period of about 18 months. She is interestes; compassionate, accessible by email for medical questions, and an accurate diagnostician. Very happy to be her patient.

by Julie M on Jun 4th, 2015

My son saw Dr. Stein after 2 years of misdiagnoses, weight loss, frequent ER visits, ineffective medicines. Absolutely loved her! Very caring, took as much time on the appt. as we needed. Once the correct diagnosis was reached, both the hospital and Dr. Stein were quick to help us with solutions. Unfortunately my son needed surgery to correct his problem, but Dr. Stein and her staff were very attentive to our needs and always returned phone calls, etc. Follow ups have been very thorough as we continue to see her. Highly recommend her, especially in situations where a correct diagnosis is elusive.

In it for your money show details In it for your money
Feb 25th, 2015

Don't waste your time. It just seems like she is in it for the money. Doesn't listen and down plays your symptoms to the point you think you are inventing them.

Insensitive, doesn't listen to patient concerns show details Insensitive, doesn't listen to patient concerns
by H Koplow on Feb 13th, 2015

Dr Stein didn't listen to me and made no effort to understand my purpose in visiting her. She recommended unnecessary tests and scheduled me for visits with other specialists, without consulting--or even notifying--me.

Awful experience show details Awful experience
by Stephanie on Dec 30th, 2014

She acted like a Judge. Her diagnosis was terribly wrong. I am still extremely ill and wish I had never met this so-called doctor. She cared nothing about me. Absolutely no follow up was made. Waited two hours to see her after waiting three months for my appt. Stay clear of this doctor.

Does not care for all patients show details Does not care for all patients
Oct 1st, 2013

I don’t even know where to start. This doctor is not worth your time. On my first appointment she asked about my eating habits. I tried to explain to her I was not eating much because of the vomiting her response and I quote “ That is the problem with you skinny girls” . I thought it was a fluke but that level of care continued. Anytime I call for help takes 1 month to return my call. Can’t get an appointment unless it is 8 months out. 1 year, $24000 and on the verge of losing my job later I have the feeling that she just does not care. If she doesn’t want to treat me she should release me to another dr. there. It’s a shame Hopkins is suppose to be the best and I just got robbed.

Love Dr. Stein! show details Love Dr. Stein!
by Jennifer on Aug 19th, 2013

I first started seeing Dr. Stein roughly three years ago. She was very caring and empathetic and thorough in her courses of treatment. She listens and spends a very appropriate amount of time with each visit. I highly reccomend her.

by Diane Lazarus on Jul 1st, 2013

Dr. Stein is a thorough and caring doctor. Highly recommended.

Hard to reach show details Hard to reach
Oct 14th, 2012

Dr Stein is hard to reach. Post surgical procedure she was not available when problems arose. See somebody else.