Dr. Elmina Summerall MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.3

May 6th, 2011
Take it easy on Dr. Summerall, she had it rough when she was younger. She started undergrad at Yale in '83, attended for 3 years, left without finishing the degree due to personal reasons. She was out of school for two years dealing with those issues before attending Notre Dame for a year and a half starting in the fall of '88. The issues resurfaced in Dec of '89, and she left Notre Dame and was out of school for another year and a half, enrolling at a jr. college in south carolina in fall of '91. She then transferred to UC Boulder in fall of '92, worked through another three years, and graduated college in '95. That's perseverance folks.

August 20th, 2010
vet doing better
Wow, these guys sound like they saw somebody else. She's been terrific with me. She certainly didn't overdose me at all, and I don't think I've ever had a doctor who listened as attentively and patiently.I've been to zillion dollar facilities that couldn't help at all, now I'm doing great with the help I've gotten from PolyTrauma. She's been great about following up and making sure different facets of support are in place, such as social workers.

June 30th, 2010
She makes combat seem pleasant compered to what she will do to you
Well, where do I start? First of all I find the prior 4 star rating suspicious at best. I had the misfortune of her being the first interaction with the new "Poly Trauma Unit", and it has screwed me ever since, even negatively impacting my military medical review and retirement. She initially stated the right diagnosis,(mTBI, PTSD, and a very COMPLEX case), but then in her report she diverted from fact and went entirely to personal opinion. She acknowledges my meeting the DSM-4 criteria for Post Concussive Syndrome, then steers away from that and blames everything on PTSD, from childhood trauma, and then accuses me of being resistant to treatment, and then faking symptoms for money, (Malingering). That subsequently led to a seriously flawed Neuro-Psychological report, because the "intern" that conducted the testing was biased due to Dr. Summerall's flawed report, which led to an abbreviated test, which led to further accusations of malingering, and now also using my illness to avoid having to work, and as a potential "cry for help". I went through 7 jobs in a short period of time after my return from duty in Iraq, due to lack of ability to handle simple tasks, in contrast to managing businesses, and doing complex jobs prior to deployment. VT state Voc Rehab told me to stop searching for work based on what a VR program employer reported, which was that I was potentially dangerous in the workplace, not because of willful misconduct, but due to poor memory and other major cognitive dysfunctions. I asked for an MRI from the VA and was denied, stating that my diagnosis did not warrant one. I was then administered further psychological testing and diagnosed with PTSD, Anxiety, and Depression- all at "severe" levels, and then scheduled for an appointment with a Psychiatrist. Once again, her negligent diagnosis led to more mistreatment, and subsequently was given a prescription for Prozac, for Anxiety, which led to an alarming reaction even at the smallest dose available(10 mg). I notified the Dr of this and was told that was normal when first starting that med. On day 20 I followed recommendations and increased to 20mg dosage, and ob day 23 had a "serious" reaction- including Hot Flashes and Panic attacks, while at another appointment there. I was told to go to MH dept. and let them know about my reaction. Dr. Summerall was behind the counter and I told her about it, of which she replied, and I quote- " you can keep taking the medication (Prozac) because there is nothing medically it can do to you", and told me to let my prescribing Dr. know about it. I left him a message, and at my next scheduled appointment with him-(Dr. Nelson), he informed me that "we were in between a rock and a hard place". I asked him what he meant and he told me that "we need to get you to 30mg" !!. I then asked him that in light of my hyper-sensitivity to meds, and other symptoms, if he could then get me scheduled for an MRI, after which I was told the "real" Dr's said I didn't need one and he therefore refused. The "real Dr's consisted of the "Poly Trauma Unit" of which Dr. Summerall was the leader. Well, to make a long story short, I wound up going into the civilian sector for my MRI- which showed moderately Enlarged Ventricles, consistent with a TBI diagnosis, and the symptoms I was experiencing. I also had an EEG, which found irregular brain wave patterns. I then sent all records to another Neuro-Rehab facility- DVBIC- a DOD facility and received a call back shortly thereafter stating that I need to get down there ASAP for "UNBIASED" testing and evaluation!!!. They informed me that I was not given a complete battery of tests at the VA, and because of that I predictable failed the VA's testing, which occurs in about 85 percentile of patients with TBI. After a full week of testing and diagnosis I was formally diagnosed with mTBI and PTSD, which, oddly enough, was what Dr. Summerall had initially diagnosed during my interview with her. Her negligence in following proper protocol has resulted in serious damage to my recovery process, her bias had negatively affected other staff members opinion of me, labeling me as a "malingerer", which led to more improper treatment, which wasted valuable recovery time, and seriously exacerbated my base symptoms, with serious complications and consequences due to such treatments which I know have to deal with the rest of my life. All due to Dr. Summerall's "negligent. incorrect diagnosis", and "personal bias". After I received my well documented, qualified, and fact based diagnosis I called her to see if she would either rescind, or amend her own flawed diagnostic report, citing the new evidence and formal diagnosis that resulted, and her response was, and I quote, " the fact that you are still experiencing symptoms proves I'm right", unquote, and refused to change anything. Another point of interest is that the "poly Trauma Unit" at WRJ, VT refused to scan all my non-VA records, which I provided upon my return from a formal 6 week treatment program at DVBIC. into my permanent treatment records. Upon my entrance to my new VA system, I submitted the reports, and the Dr thanked me and said he would scan them right into my records. My battle continues on, and I now have to deal with more serious, complicating, life long afflictions due to Dr. Summerall's negligent treatment and inappropriate bias. And I am far from the only one, virtually all other veterans, and their families, have experienced the same "NEGLIGENT" and "BIASED" behavior from Dr. Summerall, resulting in similar outcomes, and I personally know of 3 cases, 2 of which led to very serious physical and psychological damage which they now have to deal with the rest of there lives, and are far worse than they ever were prior to her misconduct. Brain Injury is a serious injury, and I would recommend consulting your local shoe salesman for diagnosis and treatment before ever going in front of this grossly unqualified Dr. She has yet to offer a single apology to any of veterans, or their families, for the irreparable she has caused them, and worse yet, when confronted with facts she expresses zero remorse or concern for her negligent, and dare I say malicious mistreatment of this country;s finest citizens. She should be tossed out, and her license to practice revoked due to her history of negligent behavior. This is my opinion, but it is based on my personal experience, and the firsthand accounts of other veterans and their families. I sincerely believe that her belief is: If a pill won't fix what's broke, then you must be a faking, and if that isn't the case then OOPS, oh well.....next patient please. I believe that the head of a polytrauma unit, dealing with very complex injuries, should be based on a good solid body of adequate experience and excellent qualifications, not based on the fact that she was the only one who would accept the job for the pay offered, which is what I was told by another staff member within the department.

June 30th, 2010
I would never recommend this Dr/ person (i can't even call her that)she tends to not listen to pt. she will come up with her OWN conclusion..and then use you as her guinea pig... if i didn't get my son to a hosp that she wasn't practicing in he would not be here today... as she prescribed very high doses of meds some that were contraindicated, to condition..took son to well know hosp on east coast private he was life threatening..toxic..from a med she had put him on ..when i questioned her about this med and dosage (i thought it seemed high)she said its a very low dosage...when i we got to hosp.and dr heard the meds my son was on and the Depakote dosage he was shocked..didn't believe me(thank god, i had all his meds on me, in a bag..) i showed him all..he was speechless for a min.. then said "these meds are contraindicated for his condition..." picked out 3 Depakote he never heard of such a high dose, said what did they do to him he's a zombie..(i will only say the dr we were seeing treats Boston Red Sox for head injuries,nero...)very well known respected dr..my son was in hospitalized, due to HER STUPIDITY..sorry case of a dr and the thought that she continues to pratices on our vets is disgusting our veterans deserve better that this.. My son was not the 1st.. nor the last .I have spoken to many about Dr.Summerall..she did similar to them causing them to end up in ER due to her careless, lack of knowledge,, or just plain doesn't care thinks... she is above all..Do not go...

June 28th, 2010
It took a while to get an initial appointment, but no problems after that. She's done a great job in helping to resolve what seemed like intractable problems.Very patient, and patient-focused, and is helpfully candid. She doesn't treat patients like they're idiots, which can be a common problem in this field.