Dr. Emiliana Magpantay Is this you?

2 Ratings with 1 Comment

August 17th, 2011

Good doctor, informal but conservative

I visited Dr. Magpantay when I found out I was pregnant for the first time. She is a one-woman-band of sorts, with a simple answering service that pages her when a patient wants to speak with her even during office hours, and has no backup doctor for deliveries: she does it all herself. Her Hoboken office is clean, but she seems to use it when other doctors are not. The Jersey City office is older and not well-kept: see her in Hoboken instead. That said, she is easy to get a hold of: just tell the answering service you need her to call you immediately and she will. Stern but very caring, she reminded me of my conservative mother but with a medical degree. My first visit she gave me a blood test for the pregnancy and a pap test and breast exam. She has a gentle touch and stressed the importance of monthly exams.When the ultrasound revealed twins, she referred me to an excellent perinatologist. However, if she had used a doppler at our second appointment she would have heard 2 heartbeats rather than just 1: and I didn't know the doppler could be used as early as 8 weeks, or I would have asked her to. She sent comprehensive medical records to my new doctor who has proven to be thorough and an excellent specialist. Dr. Magpantay, though informal in her presentation and extremely conservative in her views (she recommends no swimming or class B drugs, for instance, and has no nurse or receptionist), is a good doctor overall. I would recommend her as a GYN, since I was not able to have her deliver my children.

February 27th, 2009