Family Practitioner, Primary Care Doctor

3.0

by Alyssa Haden on Mar 17th, 2016

Before I gave birth, I went through the process of creating a birth plan and trying to find a doctor that closest valued my needs. I thought that was Emily, as she presented herself as very accepting and willing to listen to what mothers want. HOWEVER, when it came time to give birth, she told me she wouldn't let me go more than a week overdue. But when her receptionist wanted to be induced a few weeks early so her baby could have the same birthday as someone in the family, Emily wanted me to wait until I was 42 weeks because she didn't want to have two women in labor on the same day. The day of, she informed me she would break my water whether or not I was comfortable with it and went ahead despite my protest to wait a little longer. During the birth, she cut me even though I specifically and repeatedly said I did NOT want to be cut - this resulted in more tearing. When my son would not come out, she placed a vacuum on his head. Unfortunately, he was not turned all the way and she pulled with such force that it came off, flinging blood across her face and leaving my son with muscular damage and swelling on the side of his head (resulting in a lazy eye that lasted for 6 months). When asked about the issue during the check up, she acted as if it was normal. In my medical file, she wrote that she removed the vacuum - blatantly lying to avoid legal trouble. Bottom Line: if you can choose a better doctor, please do so. She is not trustworthy.

Does not allow breastfeeding show details Does not allow breastfeeding
by Joan Q. Public on Oct 24th, 2014

Don't attempt to breastfeed in her office waiting room.

NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY!!!!!! show details NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY!!!!!!
by Ashley Maria on Oct 22nd, 2014

This doctor personally kicked out a woman for breastfeeding her newborn in the waiting area! I am sickened by how backwards this office is! You should be encouraging breastfeeding and not kicking people out for it. I will not be returning or recommending this doctor to anyone else. I wouldn't trust her with any of my loved ones!!!!

Is there really a "Dr. Fernandez?" show details Is there really a "Dr. Fernandez?"
by Jim on Mar 4th, 2013

Dr. Fernandez, whom I've never laid eyes on, replaced Dr. Parr, whom I've never laid eyes on, though both have been my doctor, in theory for quite some time. As an aging man, I am comfortable with a female doctor, or female nurse practitioner, or female physician assistant, but what I am not comfortable with is the requirement that I must discuss my maladies to the most private degree with secretaries, office managers, student workers, AMERICORP volunteers, etc. in order to try an earn a 5 minute phone call, much less an appointment.

very good job show details very good job
by Johnathan Odiorne on Sep 16th, 2009

yes iam very happy with emily fernandez she is the best doctor i have ever known she has treated me with so much respect and i would like to keep her as my primary doctor even if she leaves umc i would her to take my file with her and keep me as her patient no doctor ever before her comes close to the the service she has done for me every doctor i have ever known has just said iam to medically complaicated and refered me to someone else i have suffered from a problem with genital herpes for like probably a number of years she diagnosed the problem on the spot and gave me the right treatment and so much more i would hate to ever loose her as my doctor thanks very much for your service Doctor Fernandez