inactive

Emily J Penman MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.6

May 7th, 2016
Treats patients as tissue samples rather than human beings
Went to Emily Penman several years ago for suspicious mammogram. I should have know from the way in which she conducted my stereotactic biopsy ( had me on the table in a very uncomfortable position for over an hour) that I should not be continuing treatment with her, but I was new to the area. I have since learned from other breast cancer survivors in the area that many have had similar negative experiences with Penman. She performed a lumpectomy and re-excision on me, and when each came back with positive margins, she became disinterested. Where she started out telling me that it could be handled with a lumpectomy followed by radiation, after two unsuccessful surgeries, she told me in a very matter-of-fact manner that I would need a mastectomy, a subject she refused to discuss prior to that moment. She was threatened by my desire for a 2nd opinion at JHopkins. Told me they would order all kinds of expensive , unnecessary tests. They performed only one additional mammogram which gave them some vital information, and Penman should have known to order that test. I did require a mastectomy which was performed at JHopkins by a wonderful, highly-skilled, compassionate surgeon. I have had several reconstructive surgeries since then, but unfortunately, no matter how talented the reconstructive surgeons, none has been able to correct fully the imbalance problems Penman created by the manner in which she performed the first two surgeries, when she refused to consider that any further treatment might be necessary. I now live with a daily reminder of Emily Penman's workmanship and her refusal to consider how her treatment would impact any further treatment I might require. The bottom line is that Penman gives herself more credit than I believe she deserves. She lacks compassion for her patients and sees them only as cases rather than human beings. She lacks a broader vision. She makes communication with her difficult, and her staff is no better, making it almost impossible to reach her by phone. I agree with the reviewer who said to seek treatment at JHopkins or Penn. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have let Emily Penman perform any surgery on me.

November 12th, 2012
It's all about respect, information and time
I have seen her for two surgeries, considering a third. I've finally decided her personality was overbearing, over-simplifying and lacking in basic respect. She is always in a rush and minimizes or dismisses concerns. I don't feel my concerns are heard and I definitely get the feeling she doesn't have much respect for patients. I'm looking elsewhere.

February 4th, 2012
Worst Doctor
Never go to the doctor for surgory.

November 15th, 2010
Wonderful!
Dr. Penman is amazing. I had found a lump, went to the Breast Center for a diagnostic mammogram, was told I most likely had breast cancer and Dr. Penman took me on as a patient that day! I have never felt so confident in a doctor in my life. She is warm, brilliant, caring, decisive, and an excellent surgeon. I now am cancer-free and will always know that she saved my life. Her office staff is one of the most gentle, competent, and caring I've ever come across. If you're facing what I was, don't hesitate to call Dr. Penman. She's simply the best.

June 22nd, 2010
I liked her
She was very pleasant to talk to, relatively thorough, and very reassuring. This was just a paranoia visit for me, though, so I can't really say for sure what she'd be like if one was really facing breast cancer. My husband went in with me and he really liked her too. I'll definitely go back to her if I have any further trouble with mammograms and I would recommend her to friends. She was helpful and understanding.