Dr. Eric Smith, MD
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgeon
Video profile

by doug kimenhour on Jan 30th, 2016

My experience with both Dr Smith and the Limerick Surgical Center were excellent. Dr Smith was very eager to answer all of my questions, was very thorough and a true professional in EVERY aspect of my surgical care. I would highly recommend Dr Smith for hip replacement surgery.

Jan 20th, 2016

Very kind and caring - especially for a surgeon!

by Pat on Jan 11th, 2016

I had my knee replaced three times. Dr. Smith did the third revision and the difference between doctors was night and day. He was professional, thorough and caring. Cannot recommend him more.

Poor hip replacement show details Poor hip replacement
Dec 30th, 2015

my leg is now 1/2 inch longer than the other. This is causing back pain and spasms from walking lopsided. I have been trying sole inserts but most aren't thick enough and, after a while, wind up causing foot problems. He intentionally lengthened my leg for whatever reason and when I complained he said, "you signed the waiver". After the surgery he told my wife it " was worse than I thought", why not look at a few x-rays before you go in??? Smith did little in the way of preparation, just one look at an x-ray and then to the OR. His assistant is careless and won't answer the phone. I wish I never met the guy or his nurse. This surgery has caused me lots of pain and dissatisfaction. There are lots of surgeons better than this guy. If you need work done get someone who will do it right and be prepared for your specific needs.

Doctor's Response

Dear Patient, Please accept our sincerest apologies for the experience you had. We would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns further. If interested, please contact us directly at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute

He's the best! show details He's the best!
by Pat G on Nov 18th, 2015

Dr. Smith is the perfect combination of skill and compassion. He answered my questions in a clear, thorough, and respectful way. I had a hip replacement and one year later when I needed a knee, I went to him again. Both recoveries were faster than expected with excellent results. Watch his YouTube web chat if you are considering an orthopedic surgeon. I highly recommend Dr. Smith. If there were more than five stars he would get them all.

Beyond Expectations show details Beyond Expectations
by Colleen on Sep 21st, 2015

Dr. Smith was willing to answer all of my questions thoroughly on my initial visit. The surgery went exceedingly well and recovery more quickly than expected. Back to work and pain free. All staff friendly and went out of their way to be helpful and respond to my needs. I highly recommend this doctor and practice.

Sep 4th, 2015

Extremely disappointed....Dr Smith arrogant, rude, uncaring, got no help from him at all. Would not recommend him to anyone!

Doctor's Response

Dear Vitals Guest, We would love the opportunity to speak with you about your experience with Dr. Smith. We are disappointed to hear that we did not meet your needs. If you are interested in discussing this further, please contact us directly at 267-339-3689. Thank you, Rothman Institute

Sep 3rd, 2015

Waited for this appointment to get answers regarding a complicated prior surgery. Dr Smith was arrogant, rude, made a comment about the patients weight and stated "I usually don't see patients like you here (limerick) I work at Riddle.. But I will see you. We made the appt thru his office so how on earth would we know that? Received absolutely no advice and in fact he left the room to order one lab draw with his head down and never came back. He could've been professional and admitted he had no idea how to handle the question we came to him with. I work in healthcare and I was appalled. The building was beautiful but we were there for the knowledge. We received none. Very disappointed and a waste of our time.

Doctor's Response

Dear Vitals Guest, We sincerely apologize for the experience that you had with us and would love the opportunity to speak with you to learn more detail. If you're interested in discussing this further, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Thank you, Rothman Institute

Get Another Opinion show details Get Another Opinion
by Brad P. on Aug 4th, 2015

If I could give a negative number I would. Referred to Dr Smith by a physical therapist. Knee replacement. Heavy swelling/redness and 5 months post op incision still not healed. Dr became irate when I asked for a plan to get the incision to heal. Went to another dr and found I was allergic to the sutures Smith used. I am told those particular sutures are known for allergies. Medicated and healed within 2 weeks but ugly red scar 1 inch wide. Extensive popping when I walk. Told by another surgeon at Penn the knee cap was reinstalled crooked. Complete numbness right side of knee. He may be good most of the time but my experience was he struggled to react appropriately when something went wrong.

Doctor's Response

Dear Patient, Your feedback is extremely valuable to us and translates into a major opportunity for improvement on our part. We would love the opportunity to speak with you to discuss your concerns. If interested, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Exceeding expectations is our goal here at Rothman, and it's disappointing to learn that we failed to succeed. Please accept our apology. Again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to speaking with you.

Disappointed show details Disappointed
by RR on Apr 25th, 2015

I was told by a friend he was good. He did not give an accurate diagnosis and now I am left living in pain.

Feb 10th, 2015

My excessive leg length discrepancy after Smith operated on me has left me feeling and limping like a crippled fool. When I told this person that he could have counseled me prior to surgery he responded, "you signed the waiver". I am depressed and living with this person's questionable expertise for the rest of my life..

4 Stars is not Enough show details 4 Stars is not Enough
Nov 7th, 2011

If I could give Dr. Smith 6 or 7 stars I would. I have had lots of issues so I have seen a lot of orthopedic surgeons in action. None of them have the bedside manner and genuine caring attitude of Dr. Eric Smith!! He's the best!