Dr. Eric Caten MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry Midvale, UT

• Good
  • Bad

January 5th, 2016
Dr Caten seems like a nice person but lacks any bed side manner! He has too many clients and he never remembers who I am! He forgets my diagnosis and also lacks basic communication skills when trying to prescribe and he does so in super-duper haste!!! I would not recommend Dr. Caten if you have had any serious trauma and you need to work with a more thoughtful and warm doctor. If your just interested in wham, bam, thank you ma'am, then Caten is your Huckleberry!

December 18th, 2015
Great listener. and empathetic. Excellent Excellent use of medications.

September 8th, 2015
So far so good
He was the first doctor to sit down with me for long enough to actually diagnose me correctly. (Borderline Personality Disorder with OCD and chronic depression and anxiety.) I was under the impression that he knew how to treat people with BPD very well and even calmed me down. He has me come to see him monthly. I saw some reviewers suggest that he was condescending and suspicious, but he spent far longer on my psyche evaluation than even I expected. I have only seen him once, but compared to the person I saw prior to him who handed out prescriptions like candy without actually testing the patient for psychiatric conditions, I think he is a real gem. So far, so good. I just hope our patient/doctor relationship remains strong.

May 15th, 2014
Staff personnel are bullies!
Staff personnel are bullies!

May 10th, 2013
Ridiculous
I've been seeing Dr. Caten for about 5 months. I have had severe psychiatric problems my entire life and have undergone at least 30 ECT (electroconvulsive or "shock" therapy) both in and out patient. Dr. Caten does not appear concerned and seems more concerned with getting patients in and out as quickly as possible, even checking off his patient sheet during an office visit. I asked him to prescribe a certain medication and he has refused twice, stating that he had never prescribed it before (and apparently refuses to even try). He is condescending, even going so far as to call me "doctor" because I had some knowledge and insight in to my disease. I tried to go back to the APRN who had treated me before I started seeing Dr. Caten. She refused to treat me, referring me back to him. I am desperately trying to find decent psychological treatment in the Salt Lake valley, checking with UMED as well as other places. I am so frustrated and depressed I know I will end up back in the hospital, getting my brain fried, just because he has such an ego - he can not or will not listen!!!!!! I am FED UP.

August 12th, 2011
Great Psychiatrist
I have been with Dr. Caten for over four years and know that he is nothing like the review given of him by the lady who was eight months pregnant. He is spot on with his diagnosing, is conservative in medicinal care (won't over-sedate you, and errs on the side of caution). He spends more than adequate time with his patients and have heard personally from a dozen patients that they consider him one of the best psychiatrists they've seen. If not for Dr. Caten I know that I would not be on the path of healing on which I am.

September 30th, 2010
Erik Caten
My experience with Dr. Caten was nothing short of a nightmare. He had no empathy at all for me and the difficulties I was going through. I was 8 months pregnant at the time and struggling with with clinical depression and anxiety. When I opened up to him (as you should be able to do with your psychiatrist), he actually berated me and made me feel guilty for the things I was feeling. He was condescending and self-righteous, and I left his office each time feeling deflated and unheard. A few days after I had my baby, I called his office for an emergency. It was ten minutes to closing time, and he had his nurse berate me for calling so close to closing time. I would not recommend him to anyone. And I wasn't the only one who had such an experience with him; a friend whose husband is a colleague of his says that this is the way he behaves with everyone. Arrogant and completely lacking in compassion.

May 10th, 2017