Dr. Eric Orth Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Eric Orth?

July 23rd, 2017

Refused to provide continuous care

Very little knowledge on carb counting. Was just going for prescription refills. Two days prior to a visit I called to request a refill on test trips. The office refused to do so insisting I get it in person forcing me to go to an emergency walk-in clinic. My new doctor informed me that what they had done was illegal by not providing continuous care. He is the only endocrinologist in Bloomington Indiana. Very unfortunate. Now I drive to Indianapolis.

May 4th, 2017

Terrible

I was review to Dr. Ortho by a fellow IU Bloomington Hospital doctor because he noticed my thyroid was enlarged, lab work was abnormal, and I fit all of the symptoms of a bad thyroid. Less than a week from seeing me his nurse called me to tell me that my lab work looks like I'm not sick enough to be seen and that I will be fine. She said that if I have more problems to contact my pcp (who agreed that I should see this doctor). It's very sickening. My labs may not be impressive to him but I AM sick and many doctors have told me to see an endocrinologist. I'm glad I didn't waste my time with him.

January 24th, 2017

I feel like he gave up on me. I have more than diabetics and he said let your pcp take care of you. 🙁

December 5th, 2016

Go to a different Dr.

September 20th, 2016

Would not recommend to anyone

August 10th, 2016

If you have thyroid cancer, find a new endo

My appointment was at 10, and I didn't actually see him until at least 11:15. Spent a fair amount of time with me asking questions and trying to see what was going on - I had thyroid cancer. My main complain is that when I called back in because of issues I was having because of not having a thyroid, I was blown off and told it was not thyroid related. I was told to see my family doctor, which I did. My family doctor agreed with me thinking it was thyroid related. My family doctor did want to run one test to rule the only other option out, which it did. So, I missed more work and am out more money for unnecessary tests because I was blown off. I do have to say, he is not the only endocrinologist like this. Most are, and that is what's really frustrating to thyroid cancer patients because we don't have a thyroid and rely solely on meds to survive. We don't make up these symptoms, we just want to actually feel like we are alive.

February 23rd, 2016

My son is a type I diabetic and he told him to find a general doctor because "he was wasting his time". Sorry but general doctors aren't good at managing insulin pumps!!!!

August 5th, 2015

Would not advise if you have thyroid issues or nodules

I went to Dr. Orth for thyroid nodules at which time he wanted to do a biopsy. He did the biopsy, which was very painful, and then never did provide the results. I have since switched endocrinologist and when I requested my records be sent to my new doctor they received an incomplete file and had to contact Dr. Orth’s office again. Yesterday, I had to have another biopsy done for additional nodules and now know that most endocrinologist numb a patient before performing the biopsy, which was much appreciated. Also, instead of just saying you’re done, like Dr. Orth did, they provided an ice pack and instructions on how to avoid bruising in that area. Here again something that Dr. Orth and his staff did not provide. I would not suggest anyone with thyroid issues or nodules to visit Dr. Orth.

June 18th, 2015

Definitely worth the wait!

I was recently referred to Dr. Orth by my PCP. On my first visit, after filling out the necessary paperwork, I was quickly escorted to an exam room. Once the nurse took my vitals, she assured me that the doctor was finishing up with another patient and that he would be with me shortly. The staff was wonderful. About 35 minutes after my appointment time, Dr. Orth arrived. Normally, this would be a sticking point with me and it actually was until the consultation was underway. Dr. Orth explained every facet of his treatment plan for me, offered me different options along with their pros and cons, and answered every one of my many questions patiently and thoroughly. His attentiveness made me feel like I was his only patient that day. So, yes, the wait time was a bit long but now that I know the level of Dr. Orth's dedication to his patients I'll just be sure to bring a book next time. Definitely worth the wait.

April 13th, 2015

Absolutely yes!

I was SO pleasantly surprised at the time and attention Dr. Orth provided. It was truly a consultation as we both talked through current and past medical; issues and charted a path for addressing those issues. Highly recommend him!

January 7th, 2015

Have found Dr Orth to be an excellent Doctor. He answers all my questions and helps me keep my diabetes under control. His staff follows up with any questions I may have between appointments.

December 16th, 2014

Dr. Orth spent most of the appointment staring at my test results on his laptop. He was very quick to say my test results were normal, even though I had been referred to him by my pcp who thought my test results warranted a visit to an endocrinologist. I don't remember him asking me a single question about any of my symptoms. I did most of the talking, in an effort to get something useful out of the appointment, which otherwise would have lasted for 5 minutes. So, I started telling him all my symptoms, which could all be linked to a lifelong problem with water and electrolyte imbalance. He did admit that my muscle fatigue/soreness was a symptom and the best advice he could give me was to try drinking some sports drinks and to stop drinking fluids 3 hours before bedtime. Then he said he wasn't ordering any more test results and essentially says that he was leaving me to work it out on my own. On a side note, I asked if he would be willing to investigate a re-occurring sinus infection I was having a problem with. I realized that it wasn't his field and or if he would even consider doing that kind of thing for a patient, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I only include this b/c I found his response very weird and a bit troubling, as he said "No, sorry. And the tools on the wall (*referring to the scope used for the ears, nose, and throat), yeah, they don't even work, they're broken." Then goes on for 2 minutes discussing how my pcp would go about treating my sinus infection, which seemed like an effort to prove he didn't forget all the general medicine he learned in med school. Overall, I was very unsatisfied with my appointment. He was very apathetic and uninterested in helping me. He had my test results for weeks prior to my appointment, so he could have saved us both some time by having someone from his office notify me that there was no reason to see me. Now I will be paying a bill for a useless appointment.