Internists, Hospice & Palliative Specialist
Mayo Clin.
13400 E Shea Blvd
Scottsdale, AZ 85259
480-301-8000
Locations and availability (3)

1.0

|  Nearly Killed My Father  |  show details
by Rick Graham on Oct 26th, 2008

This guy works at the Mayo Clinic Hospice in Scottsdale. I think Hospice of the Valley in Phoenix actually manages the facility and he is probably on their payroll. My father entered this hospice not as a terminally ill patient, but as a transfer patient who was receiving an IV drug treatment to overcome spinal meningitis. Mayo Clinic said that acute care would be too expensive for the two weeks that my dad needed the regimen and that he could receive the IVs for a lot less in hospice. Once transferred, this "doctor" insisted that my father was hours from death and didn't want to give water, food or heparin to my dad (But he sure liked giving halidol, seroquel and who knows what else). Long story short, my father gets a blood clot (due to no heparin) in the leg and is transferred back to Mayo Clinic, recovers after surgery and I have to nurse him back to health for months. He now takes PT regularly and can walk with a walker. Another Mayo doctor told me later that there was no reason to administer the types of drugs that my father received while in this hospice facility. He was amazed that anyone would even consider my dad as a candidate for hospice. Today, almost a year and a half later, my father is still around and has been all over the east coast and Canada with our family this summer (2008), goes out to eat, engages in family activities, etc. Had my father died at the hands of hospice and this know it all doctor, it would have been murder (and not the dignified ending that hospice always blabs about). Avoid this guy and always question the motives of hospice. You MUST be an advocate for the patient! If the medical problem doesn't kill them, hospice just might.