Overall Review

3.3

August 8th, 2016
Worst Doctor I have Ever Seen
Worst doctor I have ever seen. Kept us waiting for over an hour, did not have medical charts and records from referring doctor even though they were sent to him three weeks in advance. Breezed into the room, no apology for the excessive wait, skimmed the report from the referring doctor (which it seems he did have, just had not bothered to read it), informed me I could follow up with him If I chose, if not that was also fine with him. Guy was just a jerk in general and I would suggest seeing any one except him. On a positive note, I complained to the office director Keith, who was very professional, apologetic and helpful. He actually seemed to care, unlike Dr Sklar

March 16th, 2015
Excellent
I say excellent because although I am not officially his patient (yet; will be), Dr. Sklar saw me on hospital rounds and though rounds are brief in terms of time, the visits were enough for me to assess the quality of this doctor. His demeanor was outstanding, and his interest in finding a diagnosis for me was greater than my current neurologist's. If these visits alone were enough to warrant my opinion, I recommend this doctor highly.

January 25th, 2015
Great docs!
I have been seeing the three sleep docs in the office for years. I have only had one issue with an office staff member and I'm not really sure where the breakdown occurred. People tend to give office staff a bad shake about things that really are not the office staff's responsibility. I don't know if this is the case with the other reviewers, but I cannot possibly be the only one who has had good experiences for all these years with the office staff. I have been seeing another of the sleep docs for a very long time, but his schedule is always jammed, so when an appointment opened up with Dr. Sklar, I jumped on it (It is very difficult to get an appointment but, this is NOT because of any ineptitude on the part of the office staff). I found Dr. Sklar to be very knowledgeable, kind and helpful. I did not feel like I was being rushed at all (that goes for the other sleep docs too). Every once in a while, there will be a wait, but that is usually because of an emergency situation, or someone coming in with more needs than were realized at the time the appointment was made. I know darned well that the docs would take their time with me too, so I don't fuss about that. Plus, it doesn't happen often at all, which is amazing for a specialist's office. I don't really understand the follows up thing because the doctor is always clear about when he wants to see me again. To me, even though I do forget things, the responsibility for follow-up lies on me. I would hope if I lacked the ability to follow up because of not having the faculties to do so, that someone in my family or network of friends would assist me in that area. As far as the office staff being uncaring or curt or however it was put, that I disagree with completely. As an example, I was to have certain tests done for my memory problems (or so they tell me) before my next appointment. I got a call from the office because they had not received any results back. Since I had completely forgotten but had another issue to discuss anyway, I will be seeing the doctor as scheduled. I found the woman with whom I spoke to be very caring and patient with me, and not in a patronizing or condescending manner. I think, if there is a problem of any kind, the doctor needs to be told. I have seen very little turnover in this office, which is unusual. These are normally not the best paying jobs around, and specialists are sometimes not the easiest people to work with/for (speaking from personal experience here) and to have as little turnover with the office staff as this office does speaks volumes. I will continue to use these sleep docs as my neurology team, as I have for many years, and whenever anyone asks me about sleep docs in this area, I am very comfortable with recommending Dr. Sklar and the other sleep docs in this practice.

March 25th, 2012
inept staff
Liked the doctor and his treatment; however the office staff was inept: not registering appointments (for myself & others), not ordering supplies in time for appts, not able to set follow-up appts if more than 1 month in advance, long waits to see the doctor and even once, staff forgot I was waiting ( I was the only one in the small waiting room)

December 30th, 2011
Appalling Front Office Staff. Great Doctor.
Great neurologist who is knowledgeable and genuinely kind. Any hope of a positive experience is spoiled by the horrendous office staff. Too bad it's a package deal. Don't expect anyone to answer the phone during office hours. The answering machine is standard operating procedure for this busy practice shared by several other neurologists. All the doctors somehow endure the mass of unqualified, incapable, amateur, "medical" staff occupying the front desk. Messages left on the answering machine are seldom returned. The incompetence of the office staff is so momentous that I am now looking for a new neurologist.

December 27th, 2011
Horrible Office Staff
The office staff is horrible. They are uncaring and very rude and imcompetent. How do people like this get jobs like this in today's economy? It mystifies me.

December 27th, 2011
Fabulous Physician Sabotaged By Incompetent Office Staff
Dr. Sklar is an excellent physician and was included on the Multiple Sclerosis Society listing of reputable neurologists specializing in the disorder. During my last bout of MS like symptoms, the office staff promised to fax a note to my employer regarding my absence from work. They did not. I was also promised that the nurse would call me back, as I was having severe pain. She did not. When the office staff was asked about the lack of follow through the response was insulting. "We always call back. I don't know what you are talking about." RN displayed shocking disregard and negligence for patient's pain, prescription needs and appropriate referrals when MD was "not available" during acute episodes. Another RN, who no longer works there, obtained prior authorization for a MRI but had read the order wrong! She provided the insurance company incomplete data. Had I not called the insurance company to ensure the authorization had gone through, I would have had to pay out of pocket for the portion of the MRI order the RN neglected to provide the insurance company. I have been with this neurologist for two years. The RN turnover is alarming. There are one or two receptionists that are pleasant but all display extreme difficulty in following through with client requests. Appointments consistently run 1 to 1.5 hours late. This includes the first appointments of the day. It is disturbing to sit in the waiting room and hear multitudes of call being ignored and sent to voicemail. What a shame that Dr. Sklar's practice is not staffed by skilled professionals.

April 2nd, 2011
Dr. Sklar Great! Office Reception Staff Continually Poor
Dr. Sklar is a compassionate intelligent neurologist with excellent credentials. He is super. If the ratings was for him along - it would be excellent in all regards. However, their front office (Alexandria only is where I go) staff is never friendly, never appear to want to ever see you, tend to not smile when you smile at them, and seem irritated to see you or talk to you. Frequently, one of the long term robust in size receptionists is taking personal calls and makes you wait on them. (Please excluse - The sleep lab folks and reception for their services as they are excellent.) I am talking only about the office staff in Alexandria. If it was a one or two time thing, I can accept but this continually happens over the years and not just to me. I try to be very friendly and cordial, and always considerate and never pushy and smile and patient. I don't expect a big welcome or any special attention, but the sense they give you is ignoring you and that you are not a person or I am bothering them by appearing for an appointment on time or asking them for the next apppointment at their exit appointment desk is awful.The Doctor and his nurse (and nurses) over the years have been stellar. I also went to a previous Doctor there who is not there anymore and he was very good too. I recommend Dr. Sklar but you have to put up with a lot (including sometimes difficulty getting to a receptionist on the phone and not an answering machine) and have to just think that these female receptionists don't like their jobs, are too busy, and are having a bad day.Just a little respect would be great.

March 10th, 2011
Dr. Sklar was great but the staff was so horrible I will never go back.

August 9th, 2010
Dont go to this doctor
Worst office I have ever been to

March 16th, 2010
Nice Doctor
But! I never get anything resolved with him or any other Doctor in this area for that matter.All I pay is co-pays and walk out broke and didn't find out anything more then when I came in.Please Doctors stop running every test there is to mankind and use your old fashioned Medical School skills!. Or is there such a thing anymore?

January 30th, 2009
Highly recommended
Dr. Sklar is careful and thorough, and appropriately conservative in gatheirng data for a definitive diagnosis. He answered all my questions with patience. He was rated a top doc by other doctors in a local magazine a few years ago, and I agree.