Emergency Physician, Hospitalist, Pediatrician

18167 US Highway 19 N
Ste 650
Clearwater, FL 33764
800-507-8874
Locations and availability (7)

2.5

|  Sound advice but TERRIBLE delivery  |  show details
Jul 20th, 2011

We saw Dr. Bertha when we took our 2 year old son to the ER while on vacation in Florida. He had been dealing with 103+ degree fevers for 3 days and we finally took him in to make sure it was nothing serious. Dr. Bertha came whisking in and proceeded to admonish us for giving fever reducers right off the bat, before he had even examined the patient. He was very rushed and handled our son roughly as he manipulated him for examination. When the time came to look at his ears, I had to hold my son down on the bed while Dr. Bertha cleaned some wax out that was obstructing the view. Dr. Bertha used a metal instrument to dig around my son's ear, and then I saw my son visibly flinch, try to claw his way off the table and start screaming. What Dr. Bertha came up with was a small piece of wax and blood from where he scraped the skin along with it. So, my son had to deal with the pain and bleeding from that in addition to being ill with a virus. Dr. Bertha only offered to clean up the blood when he saw the horrified looks on our faces and we questioned him as to why our son was bleeding. Dr. Bertha was very dismissive on the whole, and I have to say it was the worst experience I have ever had with a doctor. His diagnosis of a virus that needed to run its course was correct in the end, but what a terrible, awful job he did of relaying that information in a professional and courteous manner.