Dr. Eugene Kaplan, DABIPP
Pain Management Physician, Neurologist, Vascular Neurologist, Headache Specialist
Video profile

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Jun 23rd, 2016

The way this office runs is a disgrace!! Wait time is consistently over 2.5 hours!! No consideration for others' time!!

patient show details patient
by Penny on Jun 20th, 2016

Worst doctor ever. He does not listen to the patient. When my insurance refused to pay for an injection in one area, he suggested we try another location. I asked would I get an injection in my lower back (l spine) for neck (c spine) pain. He looked at me like I had three heads. I have worked within the medical field for years . I am no dummy. I would never go back. He is consistently late and all about the all mighty $$$$.

Treated like a farm animal show details Treated like a farm animal
by LC on Jun 2nd, 2016

My 1st appointment, the doctor spent a lot of time and I felt hopeful. That was over on the 2nd visit. I requested the 1st appointment at 9am so I could go to work but sat there with 7 other people, also scheduled for 9am! Kaplan was, per to his own staff, chronically late and often straggled in the office after 10 am, so you sit there waiting with about 20 people for him to show up. After 1-2 hours, you're shuffled in & out for these "shots" -- it's like a shot assembly line. If you show pain during the shot, he's irritated, as if you're a baby. Afterward you're shown the door. If you tell him the last shot had NO effect, he gets mad and acts like you're an idiot. I wanted to work, not sit on disability and pay him for "shots" so I went elsewhere for treatment. Many of his staff are also uncaring.

Do not go to this dr show details Do not go to this dr
Feb 3rd, 2016

I should have looked up his reviews before I went. Worst appointment I've ever had. I got there 15 mins early, my appointment was at 9:45, and I wasn't seen until 11:45. I have NEVER waited that long in my life... Then he's very rude, so I go to check his reviews, thinking it may just have been me, and sure enough everyone else is having the same issues. I will not be returning. Do not waste your time going to his office.

Jan 13th, 2016

Dr. has the "I went to school for a couple more years then you" attitude. Doesnt want to listen to what you say, only asks questions in which he wants 1 work answers to. He told me he doesnt need to hear my story, just needs to ask these questions. Very rude and would not recommend.

Our Visit show details Our Visit
Dec 19th, 2015

First of all we had to wait and hour and 20 minutes coming from and hour away. Second of all.. I know he needs answers to alot of questions but must have compassion not make the patient feel intimated. I believe we could have got help but won't deal with his bedside matter to get it.

Worst "Doctor" Ever! Do your homework before stepping foot into his office show details Worst "Doctor" Ever! Do your homework before stepping foot into his office
Oct 27th, 2015

I went to see "Dr" Kaplan for over a year. He is the worst excuse for a human being that I have ever encountered! Every appointment, I would show up early and would be told that he was running an hour late! Most visits I would spend at least two hours in the waiting room to be seen by "doctor." I repeatedly asked him for help with my nerve pain in my thoracic but he chose to ignore me and told me my pain wasn't where I said it was. I asked for new testing/imaging to be done and I was told "there is no point in taking stabs in the dark." This man tried to tell me that the nerves work upward in the body and that is not true at all, the nerves work downwards. He told me that all my pain came from my lumbar but I had no pain or issues there. He would mock me at every visit and ask "what theories" I had for him during this visit. He told me that my pain was probably due to shingles or lime disease. I was finally able to get free from his office and found a real doctor, one that actually gave me the proper testing and found that I had a crushed nerve in my thoracic spine. This nerve could have been found by "Dr." Kaplan if he had simply given me an EMG which I was denied time and time again because he thought it was a waste of time.

Oct 19th, 2015

Dr Kaplin is a dr that I no longer will see. Visits are very slow. Appointments usually take 3 to four hours waiting. Worst experience I have ever dealt with. I now will be looking for a new pain management Doctor.

Poor wait time bad bedside manner show details Poor wait time bad bedside manner
Oct 6th, 2015

I didn't care for the attitude and the wait time. I felt like I was on an assembly line and not cared about at all. Felt like he caused more pain then helped. I would have a 9:30 appointment and I would not be seen until 12 or 1

Sep 18th, 2015

Look into this doctor before you waste your time going. I spent 2 hours waiting to be called then another hour in the room waiting for the doctor to come see me. He's extremely rude and will make you feel very stupid. Will never be attending this doctor again.

Wait time/attitude show details Wait time/attitude
Jul 6th, 2015

2.5 hour wait time...told this was normal...then Dr. has an attitude and is rude? Wow! Also prescribed a drug that causes brittle bones...bad choice and not the gold standard for my disease which I found out later.

QUACK!!!!!!!!!! show details QUACK!!!!!!!!!!
by DISSATISFIED PATIENT on Apr 24th, 2015

This doctor needs his license revoked. He will only give you a script if you allow him to perform unnecessary procedures. Expect to wait a minimum of 1 hour but most likely 3 hours.

by patient joyce joubert j. joycejoubert73@yahoo.com on Apr 23rd, 2015

i LIKE dr. kaplan, he is a very smart DR. i trust him, so should you

Feb 7th, 2015

Terrible. Wants records back almost 20 yrs for a cat accident that "may reopen"? Must want to charge big fees to testify so he'll force the reopening!

office staff are terrible show details office staff are terrible
Oct 24th, 2014

Office staff has no clue. Total waste of time. First appointment waited 3.5 hours. Second appointment had to be cancelled because they didn't get workers comp approval to do test. Waited a month for that appointment And they knew it was workers already. Office staff needs a lot of help.

Medically Incompetent show details Medically Incompetent
by Ms.C on Sep 10th, 2014

At first Dr. Kaplan was very good and was helpful. I saw Dr. Kaplan for 5 years and kept going as i was taught growing up that you have to put up with whatever a doctor does to/for you, you must do it to get the diagnosis and medical care you neef. As soon as someone stole my medication, he became cold, aloof, and down right nasty. I would have a 9am appointment and he would never show up until 11 am. Actually my last appointment was at 2:30pm and never got in to see him until 6pm. As I talked to patients about my disease and diagnosis, I would continuously complain that I had to wait so long, especially as the waiting room chairs were uncomfortable for patients with severe back pain. I asked if I could sit in the recliners in the back waiting area or on one of the exam table as I was experiencing extreme pain or lay on one of the exam room tables and told me I could not and had to go back to the waiting area. My pain was so extreme I could not put up with it any longer and my only option was to lay down on the waiting room floor. After aboutb20 minutes, they finally let me lay down on an exam table. I continued to wait and after about 20 minutes Dr. Kaplan came into the room, did not even ask how I was or even say hi' he asked if I had any recording devise. He examined me and said he came up with a new exam to confuse the patients so he would know if they were faking. He decided after 14 back surgeries I was faking my pain and them said I needed a fusion done on ,y lower back. To me this is very incompetent to tell a patient they are faking and needed surgery. He took me off my pain medication very quickly and left for vacation and, when I called the office, I was told to go to the ER. When he returned from vacation, he discharged me from his care - unethical to my way of thinking. And God forbid should you need to talk to the doctor, it is their policy that the doctors do not call patients -- you have to go in, pay your co-pay, and after a couple of hours waiting, you are lucky you actually see the doctor. Also, during the 5 years I went to his clinic, two physician's assistants left, one secretary left, 4 people typing what Dr. Kaplan while performing procedures left, and 4 or 5 nurses have left. I bumped into several of these people and we spoke about Kaplan's office and they all have told me they left for two reasons: they hated having to watch patients wait for so long and the office manager was a b---- and very hard to get along with.

do not use show details do not use
by john doe on Aug 5th, 2014

he is a good doctor if u are willing to wait 5 hours in the waiting room to see him.. waited an average of 5 hrs in the waiting room for the last 3 months

Beware! show details Beware!
by Patricia W on Mar 16th, 2014

My daughter saw Dr. Kaplan for a little over two months...doing what he considered diagnostic tests. When she finally decided to see another doctor, we asked him why he was just putting needles into her without doing an MRI. His response was he needed a reason to do one. We have recently been seek g another doctor who IMMEDIATELY ordered an MRI. My daughter has several bulging discs and will require some sort of surgery....something Dr. Kaplan said she was definitely not a candidate for..beware future patients. Dr. Kaplan runs a "meat market" for those with pain!

Oct 30th, 2013

If I could give 0 stars I would. I can't rate Dr. Kaplan, but I CAN rate my initial (and only) experience with the scheduling staff. The very first question "What kind of Insurance" and of course, what are we seeing her for (referring to my daughter) then I was asked "how old?" When I answered I was very rudely told "We don't do pediatrics". "Sorry." Very as a matter of fact and routine. Not a bit of compassion AT ALL. I guess based on this treatment from the office staff, I'm happy that they DON'T do pediatrics!

take a number show details take a number
by L. on Aug 12th, 2013

Bring a novel to appointments because you'll be waiting awhile. Don't bother to comb your hair because the only person who will treat you like a human is the nurse who takes your blood pressure. The injections gave me no pain relief--not putting them down, other people may be luckier. [See 7/18/13 NY Times Magazine article and others about back injections .)

Would have recommended but now... show details Would have recommended but now...
Nov 28th, 2012

I searched for a few months for a new pain management & was recommended to Dr Kaplan. The first time I met him, he was great but I was very disappointed with the staff. My appointment was for 2pm & without notification, they switched it to 1pm. So when I got there, they told me I was late & had to wait until everyone else was done. I sat in that waiting room for up to 3 hours. The doctor was great with helping me & told me he wanted me to come back the next day for an injection. I told the receptionist what time he wanted me to come back & she refused to set it up because she couldn't "legally schedule anyone after 4pm" unless the dr told her to her face. She wouldn't even go & ask him. So after a few weeks, I set up a new follow up appointment. It was for 3:30 but I got there 15 minutes early. I noticed that everyone, even people that came in after me, were being seen. I was not put in a room until 5pm! The nurse that was trying to get me in kept telling Jeff the PA to get me in a room but he wouldn't leave the room he was in. So she finally got me into a room to wait. At 5:30, the receptionists were all gone, some of the staff was leaving & I still had not seen the dr! I was then told; "he left for 2 hours today & I didn't know. I keep trying to get him in here". I could hear her telling Jeff to get in the room to see me. I finally got up & left shortly after. She asked if I wanted to reschedule & I said no because that was very unprofessional. He may be a great doctor but the fact that I waited almost 3 hours & never was seen, not even by the PA, was ridiculous! I have no intentions of returning. Due to their inconsideration, I have spent WEEKS in constant pain. Due to their inconsideration of while I was there waiting, my psychiatric problems got really bad & I had an anxiety attack after leaving there because I was shaking so bad from my anger. I hope someone reads this because that office needs to be re-evaluated. How do you leave a patient unattended while taking care of everyone else? It's completely unprofessional. I would never want to ruin his reputation but he needs to do something about his PA & some of the staff. I appreciate the nurse who helped me (Jennifer). She was the only one I was satisfied with. End of story.

finally fixed my pain! show details finally fixed my pain!
Aug 30th, 2011

I've been to many specialists in the area (even in NYC!) and I had gotten injections and surgery... The surgery left me with MORE pain, and the injections didn't do anything: ONE sessions with Dr K and he gave me a diagnosis (and explained that injections tend to not work because other docs do the bare minimum and inject BLINDLY with NO IMAGING- through inches of skin, fat and muscle, to try to reach a hole smaller than a dime... He uses TWO different imaging methods to ensure it ALWAYS gets to where it needs to be....) I AM FINALLY PAIN FREE!! It's been years since I've been able to play catch with my son... I'm living a normal life again! Thank you Dr K! You're AMAZING!

You gotta believe show details You gotta believe
by mom of child with headaches on May 30th, 2008

it took me four years to find this neurologist, my daughter has these horrible headaches, he cares about his patients believe me, i have been to albany med and to troy neurologist, he puts them to shame i would highly recommend him