Dr. Eugene Murphy MD Patient Reviews

3.8

• Good
  • Bad

September 2nd, 2016
Excellent Surgeon, Less than great "bedside manner"
First and foremost, Dr. Murphy is an excellent surgeon. I've been to him for 5 surgeries in the last 15 years....two of them through emergency. He has literally saved my life several times. I was ( and still am) put off by his gruff manner and rather arrogant attitude but, when looking for a recommendations for a surgeon from other doctors, Dr. Murphy was rated head and shoulders any others in the area. It is evident that he is highly, highly respected in the St. Petersburg medical community. He has mad skills and he is old school....he gets the job done and done well. He will not hand hold you and talking to him often feels like he has only seconds to speak with you - he is NOT a "warm and fuzzy" kind of doctor. He is extraordinarily busy and I have no idea how he keeps the schedule he does. He is a dedicated professional and, even though you will have only a brief appointment, he is 100% focused on you for that time. If you want skill, you can't beat him - but you will have to be willing to deal with his personality. You will also usually have to wait even with an appointment - I have had to wait as long as an hour. However, it is my understanding that this is usually because he has been caught in an emergency surgery that has taken longer than expected. Having been the person in that emergency surgery, I'm willing to try to be patient and wait (although it IS aggravating!)

August 10th, 2016
Great experience
Dr. Murphy was the second surgeon that I consulted with about having a port placed. I got an appointment within a week and my surgery was scheduled the same week as my appointment. I have a rare kidney disorder and need IV infusions weekly. I have medical experience and had very specific questions. He answered everyone of my questions albeit a short appointment he seemed confident and had some interesting points that the other surgeon didn't think of. He is not one to hold your hand or coddle you but I only care about his surgical expertise. I have multiple allergies and react to everything. My entire procedure took less then 30 minutes. He did a beautiful job and the port placement is awesome. I highly recommend him. His office staff however leave a lot to be desired. His receptionist is a moron and has no clue what is going on but she wasn't the one doing the surgery, thankfully!! Don't let his office staff deter you from seeing an excellent surgeon. My scar is looking great and everyone that has seen my port says they wish theirs was located where mine is. His infection rate is low, he is quick and thorough. I felt like I was in the best hands.

August 8th, 2016
Rude staff!
I have not even made it to see this Doctor because his Receptionist has no people skills or manners. You are working with people and prospective patients, but with that attitude I don't even want to visit this office. Remember that it is the patients that keep Doctors and their staff employed. Treat people who call in with some respect. Uhuh and Mmm is not an acceptable response when dealing with a human being, it's rude. Communication etiquette demands the use of terms such as 'please' and' thank you' and 'you are welcome' to mention but a few.

July 29th, 2016
Very rude and unprofessional when i for aftrcare regarding a trach he put in

September 4th, 2015
Wouldn't recommend this surgeon.
Dealing with this arrogant surgeon has been a nightmare from the start. He appears to be competent, but he is rude, lacks bedside manner, doesn't provide enough guidance or information regarding what procedure was performed, how to proceed with post-op. care. And his office staff--rude, unorganized, insensitive, and inattentive. Two thumbs Down.

May 2nd, 2015
Hemorrhoids don't get attention.
Terse, mechanical, polite. Interested in what he does, not best practice. Ultriod, not his thing.

April 14th, 2015
I recently was diagnosed with Para thyroid disease. Dr. Murphy did my surgery 5 weeks ago. You can barely see the scar. If you need a good doctor you have found him.

April 1st, 2015
Great doctor very considerate to your requests and listens did a great job on taking out my Gall Bladder

June 10th, 2013
I sent a review about a week ago and sent one prematurely. After my surgery we realized we only had one port inserted instead of two. When we discussed this with the Dr. he basically shrugged it off as there is no need for 2. As I tried to explain that certain orders were sent to him We felt he disregarded what was asked. I had originally recommended him and I will not ever go back and will not refer him. I feel his arrogance plays a huge role with this surgeon and I feel he did not have my best interests at heart.

May 28th, 2013
Dr, Murphy inserted a port for me for my Plasma treatment. My first experience with him was in the hospital last December, it was not a good experience, he was inserting a line in my neck, but with that said, he came highly recommended by my neurologist and deserved a 2nd look. I had a consult with him for this surgery, very kind, patient kinda quick but to the point. He did research on what needed to be done, we waited almost 2 additional hours for him for surgery due to another emergency he had, this is not his fault and surgeons should never be blamed for that! I have a follow up in a week. I do recommend him.

April 24th, 2013
Highly experienced, Highly knowledgable, BEST
Dr Murphy is extremely knowledgable and has treated me, my friends, and family for various illnessesl/injuries. He is quick, answers all questions, and acts as if he genuinely cares about each of us. I have never had a bad experience with him. I would highly, highly reccomend him to others. If you want to be treated for your illness in the best way by the most experienced, dont worry about what some people say about the desk personnel. They may have had a bad day with someone else, but with my experience, they've been great. Also, waiting for surgery is not a reason to give a doctor bad marks. Surgery is always a waiting game. Many things can cause delay, but certainly not the doctor. And do you really want the doctor to RUSH through surgeries to get to your surgery??? CHOOSE DR MURPHY :) thanks

August 29th, 2012
great office/great doctor
Dr Murphy's office staff are kind, caring and very professional. Dr Murphy himself is very personable and an excellent surgeon, extremely knowledgeable. I would highly recommend him to anyone as I have had several encounters with him for myself and some other family members