Surgical Specialist

Hospital For Special Surgery
535 E 70th St
New York, NY 10021
212-606-1000
Locations and availability (3)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Saved my life  |  show details
by Patricia N. on Oct 9th, 2014

Dr Girardi operated on me when no doctor at Hopkins , Mayo clinic would even touch me. I was very complicated for surgery. They presented me at conferences where doctors said no surgery. I had 5 failed fusions and bent over 90 degrees. He fixed me and my life!!!

|  Dr. Girardi is the best!!  |  show details
Oct 2nd, 2014

I was in terrible back pain for almost 20 years. After trying everything else, I knew I needed to see a surgeon. Dr Girardi, was kind, and patient,while listening to me complain. He then looked at all my charts (MRI etc) and said I needed fusions L4, L5 & S1. He took his time explaining the procedure and we set a date for surgery. Within 6 months, I was back in business feeling better than ever. Also off of all pain meds except Advil. I cannot express how much I love Dr. Girardi! It's been five years and I have a completely normal and very active life. When you find the right doctor, you know. All I can say is I recommend anybody with terrible back pain to at least go see him. He is truly a miracle worker!!

|  Awesome doctor  |  show details
by JJ A on Sep 30th, 2014

I was hurting for a long time. Saaw many doctors over the years. As soon as I met Dr Girardi i knew I was in good hands. He explained everything and things went exactly as he said. I still has some numbness but he said that was going to be the case. My pain is gone and my strength came back to normal.

by S. Lazerus on Jan 9th, 2014

Great bedside manner; takes his time responding to questions and concerns, as well as explaining procedures; highly recommend.

|  GODS ANGEL...  |  show details
by DONNA NOURY on Dec 15th, 2013

I MET DR GIRARDI 2005. I HAD BACK FUSION SURGERY. HE SAVED MY LIFE. HE IS A WONDERFUL DOCTOR, HE DID EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID HE WAS GOING DO AND TOTALLY PREPARED ME FOR THIS SURGERY. HERE I AM 2013 ALTHOUGH I HAVE SOME MUSCLE ISSUES I AM WALKING AND FUNCTIONING VERY WELL NO PAIN MEDS SINCE JAN 2007. I JUST WANT TO EXPRESS MY THANKS TO A WONDERFUL PERSON WHO HELPS PEOPLE ON A DAILY BASIS. GOD CALLS THEM ANGELS... HE IS IS ONE OF GODS ANGELS SO I WISH MANY BLESSINGS BACK TO YOU DR GIRARDI..

Aug 15th, 2013

Excellent doctor. Very hard to get and see him. You need to apply. Office staff is hopeless and helpless. Can't do anything right without reaching out to his assistant who saves the day. Dr Girardi is worth the pain of dealing with the incompetent office staff.

|  Orthos are not neurosurgeons  |  show details
by LB on Apr 2nd, 2013

ignored other symptoms reported to him, his office can't do anything right. Overall it's the epiphany of a half-a** job with all they do.

|  My 4th operation  |  show details
Nov 7th, 2012

I went to see Dr Gerardi back in Febuary six months after a removal of several cysts and a laminectomy. My feet were on fire, my hands were in extensive pain, my knees were also in pain walking was difficult. on top of that I could not sit.Dr Gerardi said point blank at this time I can not operate until we find out what really wrong. Did the Mri, CAT scan and X rays. that did not satisfy him as it did not match. He sent me to a nurologist that took 2 months of test Nurorapthy that was one casue of lower legs and finger. However the Ra Titer tests came out as a problem after 2 tests I was back to rumortoligist. They found I had RA. Many doctors are quick to operate as i have heard stories of disasters. I can be reached at 516-680-4544 if you want more info.

|  Mr Schwartz  |  show details
Jun 20th, 2012

One of the best doctors I have had the experience of being a patient of. His ability to perform is unsurpassed, what he said I would have in my recovery was just that. After my surgery five years ago a fusion at L5S1 I went mountain hiking. The year after hang gliding, I stay active as well. You may not be able to get in to see Dr Girardi as you do to see your Internist. The wait will be understood, after you meet with him. The staff is second to none; above most, polite, they leave no stone unturned. I have recommended Dr Girardi to several friends as well strangers with fears of seeing back doctors because of horror stories they have heard.

Mar 6th, 2012

I had spinal fussion or L4and L5 18 yrs ago. My present surgeon told me now that I was having extreme pain in my lower back again that he would not do surgery because it would not work and left me with out hope. DR Girardi told me that he could do a disk replacement and he was very positive it would be successful. L am now 5 weeks out of surgery no pain walking 2 miles a day and felling better than I have ever felt, Thank you DR Girrardi. Mike Lutz

|  Miracle Worker - all that I feel now is eurphoria.  |  show details
Jan 23rd, 2012

Dr. Girardi is in a class almost by himself. His level of experience (he operates every day!) can, seemingly, only be matched by his kindness and the real care that he has for his patients. He is, without a doubt, one of the finest surgeons I have ever met (and I have met more than a few). On January 10th, 2012, Dr. Girardi and his team performed a 12 hour procedure on my spine (an almost total reconstruction from T4 down to and beyond the Sacrum). In addition, there were several other supplementary things done. XLIFs and such were on my "menu" as well. Dr. Girardi has been doing them for more than 5 years (while other surgeons have only been doing them for 2 or less). My back pain - which prevented me from doing almost anything except ingesting pain meds - is essentially GONE!!No more sciatica, I can feel my feet, I can walk, and I can stand. This is amazing! It has been only 2 weeks. Everywhere I went, I was told that there was less than a 50% chance that any operation would relieve my pain. On the other hand, when we visited Dr. Girardi, after going over my "studies," he met us in our examination room and calmly told us, "I can help you." Simple as that. He then went on to explain how he was going to approach my case and we scheduled the procedure. . which I had done at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NY. I am home now and recovering at a truly rapid rate. Dr. Girardi and his team deserve full credit for what seems to be an almost 100% successful operation on a very sick and badly damaged patient. Most of what I am feeling at this point is euphoria.Joel Bregerjoel@breger.net

|  TERRIBLE POLO PLAYING ACCIDENT - 6 YRS UNTIL I FOUND A SUPERB SURGEON & CARING FRIEND IN DR GIRARDI  |  show details
Apr 20th, 2011

I am now 41 years old. Had always been a keen sportsman until I suffered a very serious accident playing polo. For 6 long years, I was not able to stay standing up for more than 5 minutes without terrible pain. I had had two back and hip surgeries -performed by top physicians- before I met Dr. Girardi. I can't say enough of him. He literally went out of his way to help me solve my problems and give me back the life I had once had. Which, most importantly, HE DID. Excellent diagnosis, outstanding surgical skills, impeccable academic credentials and a very special, sensitive person. Exactly one year after my surgery with Dr. Girardi, I am back playing tennis and virtually pain free. I feel so lucky to have met such an extraordinary person. PS. I live overseas, and he still periodically writes and keeps in touch to learn how I am doing.

|  Back Pain Victim  |  show details
by jls826 on Apr 16th, 2011

Simply put, Dr. Girardi is a great person and doctor. Either he is really gifted in makin people think so or he really is. Either way I would recommend him without hesitation. A few notes to warn you, though deal with it and don't let it deter you...-The Spine Care Institute as advertised on their page isn't really an institute...it's more like a standard NYC hospital affiliated FPA.-The administrative staff are less than desired. Period. But if you are able to be persistent you will eventually get scheduled what you need scheduled, etc. It's worth it for a surgeon who is gifted, has a good bedside manner, and who just sincerely seems like a nice person.

|  Excellent Experience  |  show details
Mar 25th, 2011

I was having severe leg pain for months. I was not able to play with my kids, play sports or cook.Different surgeons told me I needed surgery.friends of mine had surgery with Dr Girardi and convinced me to see him. I will alays be grateful to them. Despite fact I was ready for surgery he told me to try injection around my nerve. Pain went away immediately and never came back. This was more than a year ago. Thank you Dr Girardi. He is handsome and supernice!

|  caring and superb doctor!  |  show details
by MT on Mar 23rd, 2011

I saw Dr Girardi for my neck problem. He wanted me to have pain management first which I tried but did not help for long. He then explained my option and the surgical procedure in so much detail I knew he was for me. I had surgery 6 months ago and I wish I would have seen him sooner. He is an impressive human being and spine doctor.

Sep 19th, 2010

In spite of scoliosis, osteoporosis, 2 cancers, and other complications, Dr. Girardi has done several spine surgeries that have brought me years of life. A couple of other doctors were reluctant to even try, but Dr. Girardi did, and now I am 78 years old and can drive and enjoy my grandchildren and years of life I probably wouldn't have had otherwise. Dr. Girardi is an extraordinary human being, and I smile with gratitude.

|  Never Had a Better Experience....EVER!!!  |  show details
by Dominic Garabedian on Sep 15th, 2010

In total for every appointment, I literally waiting a combined 10 minutes. Professional, courteous, and incredible at what he does.

|  CONFIDENT  |  show details
by Edyth-Anne Herczech on Jul 4th, 2010

THIS DOCTOR MADE ME FEEL COMFORTABLE AND AT EASE.I NEVER FELT RUSHED.HE ANSWERED EVERY QUESTION I HAD AND EVEN SOME I DID NOT.I WILL BOOK MY SURGERY WITH CONFIDENCE!

|  most caring doctor  |  show details
Jan 23rd, 2010

dr girardi is indeed an amazing doctor who always makes time for any and all questions. He is caring, patient, and very well informed. I highly recommend to anyone who has any sort of back ailments.

|  Dr. Girardi saved my life.  |  show details
by Adam J Stahl on Jan 25th, 2009

My name is Adam Stahl. I owe my life to this man. He is one of a kind. Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. God bless Federico Girardi.

|  Can't say enough  |  show details
Nov 19th, 2008

He has an amazingly calming demenour... He truly cares. He's busy but he's worth it = I would 100% recommend him.

|  Dr. Girardi is an excellent surgeon and doctor. His bedside manners are awesome. He makes you feel very comfortable even though you are having the largest spinal operation you could imagine  |  show details
by EES on Aug 13th, 2008

I had many spinal operations before I met Dr. Girardi, I was told surgery was not an option. I was told I needed morphine and a wheelchair for the rest of my life (I am 45 years old). Dr Girardi saw me and I knew my life was changed for ever. I had an enormous operation that lasted 12 hours, and since that have a new life. It was a painful recovery, although I felt better than before surgery right away. I am taking no pain medications and walked 3 miles a day . I was born again. He is very caring and makes you feel that you are his only patient.