Surgical Specialist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

Some ratings provided by CitySearch.
 |  EASY PROCESS  |  show details
by LMAVERICK on Aug 11th, 2014

My overeall experience was a quick easy process. My insurance is bcbs isd which requires 1 diet visit 1 pschology visit. They scheduled my visit the next day for diet and gave me name of psy doctor. From my intial consult I scheduled and had my surgery all in 3 weeks. It was a good thing it was a speedy process because my insurance changes in September. Surgery went well and losing weight.

|  moving forward  |  show details
by amyb on Jun 23rd, 2014

I consulted with different doctors before making my final decision. I must admit Dr Spiegel left me feeling a bit confuse.I spoke with Pam in his office after meeting with him and she made me feel alot more comfortable in moving forward. I know he is an excellent surgeon but sometimes you need to get a boost from someone other than the doctor and she gave that to me. I am in the process of getting my insurance to approve my procedure and I will give an update after I have my surgery.

|  Very Unhappy  |  show details
by Kristen B. on Jun 2nd, 2014

I went to Dr. Spiegel when I was quite young in 2006 and received the Lap Band surgery from him. From the get-go, the office staff at the time was very helpful and knowledgeable. I was astounded at how much weight I lost. The problem wasn't with the procedure or anything leading up to it, it was with the facilities I went to post-op. Just to be seen each month was $150, I would have to wait for at least an hour and I was herded in and out like cattle getting tagged. I decided in 2008 to stop seeing Dr. Spiegel and his facilities and continue on my own. Last month, almost 6 years after my last appointment with him, I make another to check up and make sure everything is okay. I make the appointment, go wait in his office and pay $50 this time to wait for 3 hours and MAYBE see him for all of 2 minutes, and that is only because he asked why I hadn't come back in almost 6 years. I ask for his guidance and he suggests getting a fill. So, trusting the doctor's judgement, I let him put some fill in and be on my way. Every night for 3 weeks after, I have incredible heartburn at night and wake up choking and coughing. I call the doctor and the staff suggests immediately coming in, otherwise I won't be seen for another week at least. Okay, no problem, I suppose. I'll come in. When I get there, the first thing that I'm told is sign in and I'll be with you in a second. 20 minutes later, I'm called over and asked to pay ANOTHER $50. For his mistake! I have never been to a facility in my entire life that when a doctor gives treatment and the treatment backfires have to pay to have them rectify THEIR mistake!.This confirms how money hungry he is and how little he actually cares for his patients. I refuse to go back there. I will be finding another doctor who exhibits the traits of a quality physician and demands that of his office staff as well. Whatever happened in those 6 years did not do his office any favors and I will never return to him again.

|  DDJPlus5  |  show details
by Dana J. on Apr 17th, 2014

I had a gastric bypass in Nov. 2009. I weighed 242 lbs and had been diagnosed with hypertension, diabetes and hyperlipidemia. Was on meds for all of those things at 45. I WANTED to change my life and get healthy. I was just struggling to do it on my own. I did my research and found that Dr. Spiegel was the physician that I felt had the most hands on experience. No, he isn't a warm, fuzzy doctor. I wasn't looking for a buddy...I was looking for an experienced bariactric surgeon. He answered all of my questions and concerns at my pre-op visits. He was actually quite lovely the day of my surgery. He spent time talking to me and assured me I was making a good decision. My particular experience was a HUGE success. I have maintained a 112 lb weight loss for 5 years and am off all meds. I absolutely credit the majority of that to Dr. Spiegel. Obviously, I work hard at maintaining my weight loss but it was he who put me on this path and gave me this opportunity. If you're looking for a doctor that is going to spend lots of time with you and be your friend. He might not be the one for you. However, if you looking for a surgeon that really gets results. He is the one to try! I will sing his praises whenever given the ability. :)

|  No issues here.  |  show details
Jan 13th, 2014

I had the BPDS 3.5 yrs ago. He did agree with the surgery I had selected due to my BMI. He was very candid with me. He told me he had just started performing the surgery earlier that year. He did explain it to me thoroughly to make sure that I understood. I have not had any issues that were related to the surgery or his ability to perform the surgery. He has since performed another surgery (gallbladder) and again no issues. I recommended him to my sister and she has had previous WLS and she has not had any issues. She has recently had a baby and started losing again once the baby was born. The baby was healthy with no issues. Dr. Spiegel is very straight forward. He does give you information on how to use the surgery as a tool and he answers any questions. Now he does not spend a lot of time with you but he does and will answer questions while you are there. He is not a hand holder but he is a great surgeon. I have had to go to the ER (gallbladder) I called his office. They notified him and he saw me at the hospital eventhough he was not on call. His office does send out notices if you haven't had labs and I have developed relationships with some of his staff. I don't know how many people he sees annually but it does me good when they greet me with a smile even when I hadn't been in the office for a while. I was told prior to going to his office that he was money hungry. I called my insurance company found out what my portion should be for the surgery and I didn't pay a penny more nor did they try and charge me more. He style is not for everyone but it worked for me. I have maintained a 200lb wt loss with minimal issues. Negative. I don't care for the food supplements he sales at his office. The easy remidy is to not purchase them. The yogurt is great though.

|  Revision  |  show details
by Pool on Oct 13th, 2013

In a week I will be having a revision from lap band to the sleeve. I agree with most of the comments, Dr. Spiegel has no bed side manners; however he is an excellent surgeon. I also agree that the doctor is money hungry, but let’s face the fact most of them are! The bottom line is that he knows what he is doing.

|  A satisfied customer  |  show details
Sep 26th, 2013

Ok, so I have seen the good and the bad reviews about Dr Spiegel. There are alot of things I agree with and some I do not. I too am a patient of his. Yes, his office staff is not very courteous, they rush you in, rush you out (like a "cattle charge") as described. They push only his vitamin products even after you have requested the dosage to buy something cheaper will they not give it to you. His bed side manner is terrible, he barely speaks to you, and he doenst go over x-rays etc. BUT, alot of the problems that I am noticing of his previous patients are mainly ones that had a lap band procedure. After doing my research of the three options, the lap band, gastric bypass, and gatric sleeve, I chose to do the one I felt the most comfortable with. Most of the people that have had trouble with the band, I want to say, "are you really suprised??" You are putting something foreign in your body and you get mad at the Dr when your body rejects it?? How is that his fault? Then you look at the gastric bypass. The procedure consists of moving the stomach, re-routing intestines, etc. If God put something in your body in a certain place, then it needs to stay there. (again, my own opinion). I chose to do the gastric sleeve. It was very simple, in and out and they left all my organs where they were meant to be. Yes, he did remove my gall bladder without my permission nor did he even speak to me about that even being a possibility. However, after it was done I was told that I had Cholysistis (spelling?) and my gall bladder was severely infected. After speaking to my primary care dr of more then 30 years he assured me that once a person loses a drastic amount of weight that the gall bladder is the first organ to give severe problems and is later removed in an emergency situation. So my point with all this is this... Dr Speigel knows what he is doing. He may not have the best way of presenting his case or the best bedside manner or even the nicest staff. Remember Dr's are people who make mistakes just like you and me. YOU be the one to make the right choice from the beginning, do your research and live with the consequences, good or bad from those decisions. It has been one year since my surgery and I have lost 165 POUNDS!!!! I have not pushed my body to eat things I shouldnt and have had great results. I could not be happier with my end result. Thank you Dr Speigel and staff for adding years to my life!!!!

|  SUCCESSFULL CONSULT  |  show details
Sep 17th, 2013

I stuggled with have weight loss surgery for years. After returning to work after a summer break I didnt reconize an employee who had surgery Dr Spiegel while we were out. I was so impress with her results I had a consult and was also VERY satified with Dr. Spiegel and staff as well. I will post again once i finish my process and have surgery.

|  Find another doctor  |  show details
by pav9112 on Jun 3rd, 2013

The first time I met with Dr. Spiegel I should of listened to my instincts. He barely spoke with me, he did explain the surgical procedure to me but when I started asking questions he got up and started staring out the window as if I was boring him. Next my husband and I met with the so called "nutritionist" for 6 months. Never once did the nutritionist ever go over anything with us other than cut your portions in half and walk for 30 minutes everyday. Well duh, if that's all it took I wouldn't be exploring the option of invasive surgery. I had told the nutritionist several times that I had PCOS and I needed a diet plan that would help me lose weight. During the entire process I felt like we were in one of those infomercial ads that won't let you know the secret until you've given them all your money. On the day of the surgery we went the hospital UGH the hospital appeared to be very elegant. The surgical nurse prepped my husband and I. Not one nurse ever used gloves. This is a procedure that has a high incident rate of infection. Microbes (aka germs) are all over your body. This is why aseptic techniques are so vitally important. The nurse then informed me not to be surprised if the dr took out my gallbladder. I told her under no terms was he allowed to take out my gallbladder. When I woke up from surgery I was immediately told dr spiegel took out my gallbladder against my wishes. Yes, I found out later this is normal procedure when having the lapband, however, I was never told this by dr. Spiegel, again, I guess I was not important enough for him to explain this to me. After surgery my husband and I were taken to our room, we had to nurses who could barely speak english and who we had to keep reminding what we were there for and the prescriptions the dr had ordered. After the surgery we went home and followed all the orders from the folder of instructions the dr gave us. After a month we went in for our post op visit and our first fill, the doctor barely spoke to us and said see you when you need another fill. This is where the support if you want to call it that stopped. We went in for several fills, my husband did lose weight , I a year later have lost not one single pound, I have actually gained weight. The last visit I had with dr Spiegel he and megan both gripped me out for missing 1 appointment and for eating low fat string cheese. I have not been back. My husband is now having complications. Just to let you know this isn't about money, our insurance paid 100% of the cost. We had no out of pocket expense. I'm in school to become a nurse and I have not heard one positive comment from nurses or doctors about dr. Spiegel. He's in it for the money and yes he does herd people in his office like a cattle call. In addition, he does not look at your xrays. Find another doctor, give your money to a doctor who is actually going to care about your success.

|  GRADUATION HIGH SCHOOL HEALTHY  |  show details
by HAPPY MOM on Apr 24th, 2013

My son has been over weight all his life. As he became older I notice how withdrawn he became. I ask him one day if you could change anything about your life what would it be. He said my weight. The next day i saw a dr spiegel commercial and i decided to call to schedule him a consult. I also looked him up and was not happy with some the reviews. I am so happy with our decision to see Dr spiegel and the staff did great job making him feel comfortable. My son had the bypass surgery and has lost 102 lbs and is enjoying his senior year of high school thanks to dr spiegel

by mother & daughter on Feb 28th, 2013

My daughter and I had surgery with Dr. Spiegel in 2012. This was the best decision we've ever made. No complaints with doctor or staff. I would personally recommend Dr Spiegel to anyone who is looking for an excellent surgeon.

|  Sleeved  |  show details
Jul 21st, 2012

I was sleeved july 16 2012 and he came and checked on me the two days that i was in the hospital he saved my life my gallbladder was inflamed and it was on the verge of bursting if i did not have that surgery when i did i might not be here to type this review thankz dr S

|  Worked great for me  |  show details
Jun 29th, 2012

I went to one of Dr speigel seminar on a Sat was having surgery the next week, this was in 2006. I had surgery on Friday am and was back to work on monday. I had been trying to have children for 10 years to no avail and was told I would never have kids. I was 312 lbs, surgery was my last hope. In 7 months, I lost 100 lbs. 2 children later, I still have my band and still seeing Dr Speigel for fills and unfills. I had to get my band unfilled twice for the kids and went back in both times for refills right after. He is not a hold your hand doctor like some people have stated but his work is good and he gets it done. If you want someone that is going to hold your hand and say its going to be ok he is not the one to go to. But if you want weight loss and results he is great. He has a store in his office that offers all types of foods and nutrient drinks for people who have had lapband. He also has a dietician on staff, its extra cost but they are there. Do research before you get it done. When done with the surgery he gives you pamphlets on what to eat, what not to eat and what activities to do. What more do you want? Most of us are adults and should be able to follow simple instructions. Its 2012 and I still have kept the weight off still need to loose 50 lbs but, I have been bad and drinking sodas so its my fault not Dr Speigels

|  The Lucky One  |  show details
Jun 6th, 2012

Wow, after reading the previous reviews I almost canceled my appointment with Dr Spiegel. My over all experience was actually great. The staff was very nice and Dr Spiegel was very informative. I did realize the young lady Pam is the go to person. My caseworker kept telling me I had to do a 6 month weight loss program. I asked to speak to Pam she reverified my Benefits and got me approved in a week. I had my lapband 5/2/2012 so for so good.

|  This guy should be shut down!!!  |  show details
May 7th, 2012

Dr. S. is the almost egotistical, arrogant individual I have had the misfortune to come in contact with. My husband was seriously overweight due to depression after the loss of two of our children. At this time the Lapland was not being done by many doctors in Hoxuston. We decided to visit Dr. S. paying our $250.00 in cash to meet in a room filled with others also seeking help with the devastating problem of obesity. We were reluctant but thought it could be the answer to our prayers. We paid $16,000 dollars in cash for the surgery. While my husband was on the table I was told that I had to pay another $975.00. Dr.S. decided he. Needed a larger port. What choice did I have but to pay it. he had to return for the first fill and it was not done by Speigel. We never saw Speigel until finally we were told that he would have to do the fill because no one could get it done correctly. When.he finally saw Speigel, the fine Dr. Was again so arrogant and told us that he NEVER made a mistake on the fills. Well, This has been a mess, my husband refuses to go back ago this unethical person and trying to locate a physician that will take a patient who used Speigel is very difficult. No one wants to take his patients. My husband 's port is clearly visible even through his shirt. What's wrong with that picture?!?! I have also Ben trying to get copies of my husband's medical records and they tell me that all of their files are on paper. Nothing electronic and this is 2012 !! It will also take 2 weeks to get them. I have may doubts as to whether we will ever get the records and that we will be able to find another physician to accept my husband as a patient. It is very sad that this bum is allowed to prey on people who so desperately need help. I regret we did not go with the gut feeling that this was not a reputable place to get medical treatment. Please read these reviews and heed the warning!!!!!

|  Happy Bypass  |  show details
Apr 17th, 2012

I must say I wasn't Happy when I first consulted with Dr Spiegel. I started my approval process and it started slow but I must say I am satisfied with the outcome. I had gastric bypass surgery in January and I am please with Dr Spiegel. I have lost 60 1bs and I feel great. Everyone has there own opinion but I must say the man is an excellent surgeon.

|  Do NOT consider him for bariatric surgery.  |  show details
Apr 16th, 2012

Wow. This has turned into a nightmare. So unprofessional, no follow-up, absolutely no care, and right now, we're on the verge of a breech of HIPAA. His staff is incredibly unprofessional, never come through with what they have promised to do (plus, they dress very trashy). Whenever I mention Felix Spiegel, people say, "Wow, I can't believe he's still practicing." Neither can I.

|  Just a factory  |  show details
by Msmetters at Citysearch on Apr 10th, 2012 on citysearch.com

My wife and I attended the little office visit and signed up, that was over 2 weeks ago. Someone sent us an email that we qualify but this company doesn't follow through. We have yet to be contacted to move forward. I'd hate to see what happens once you have the surgury. You'll probably not be able to get a hold of the Dr. I don't recommend this place. Maybe someplace that cares for the patients and not just the money they're making. Shame on you Dr. Felix.

|  Just a factory  |  show details
by Msmetters at Citysearch on Apr 10th, 2012 on citysearch.com

My wife and I attended the little office visit and signed up, that was over 2 weeks ago. Someone sent us an email that we qualify but this company doesn`t follow through. We have yet to be contacted to move forward. I`d hate to see what happens once you have the surgury. You`ll probably not be able to get a hold of the Dr.I don`t recommend this place. Maybe someplace that cares for the patients and not just the money they`re making. Shame on you Dr. Felix.

|  Wonderful DS Dr.  |  show details
Mar 14th, 2012

I had a DS procedure and this Doctor was great. He is quick and to the point but when I was having problems he was quick to help fix the problem and had me back in the hospital immediatly for more test. He is not a lovey dovey hold your hand type of doctor, but make no mistake, he knows what he is doing.

|  Do NOT use this doctor!!!  |  show details
Mar 12th, 2012

I had my lapband surgery several years ago. I had problems with it from the very first day.(which I told this doctor about)I had to have a revision a year after the original lapband. Three months after the revision, I ended up in the ER to have the saline removed because I continued to vomit even after drinking water. I went for my follow-up where Dr. Spiegel assured me that there wasn't any saline in my band. (That was after he put saline in and SAID that he pulled it back out)In November 2010, I found myself in the ER with chest pains and an inability to eat or drink any fluids. After having to have heart surgery, they called in another GI doctor. He stuck a syringe into the port and removed 6cc's of saline.......yes, SIX cc's of saline...after I was told, by Dr. Spiegel, that there NO saline in the band. They performed a CT scan on me to find that the band had also rotted through the stomach wall. They had to remove the band along with part of my stomach. I am still, to this day, having MAJOR issues. Pain when I eat, constant abdominal pain, nausea AND vomiting (still), constipation and diarrhea. I also have a hard time leaving the house because I am ALWAYS sick. I am begging you to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid going to this doctor.

|  Wants you money only  |  show details
Feb 1st, 2012

When you go for a refill it takes forever.

|  Negligent doctor  |  show details
Jan 27th, 2012

Dr Felix Spiegel has little regard for his patients and does not offer adequate post operative professional counseling and care. He uses receptionists to perform xrays and fills. Poor bed side manner and contributs very little to his patience pease of mind. He's horrible!

|  Stay away from Dr. Spiegel  |  show details
Oct 10th, 2011

Dr. Spiegel is only in this for the money. No bedside manner at all. Doesn't do fills correctly. Only uses the x ray before the fill not after so he doesn't see if you can swallow or not. He left for lunch and I couldn't even swallow water. Very dismissive of any issues you may have; doesn't take the time to listen to you. And His staff is not much better; rude and uncaring. I've had to find another doctor who is going to remove the band that Dr. Speigel placed.

|  Unprofessional Office Staff  |  show details
Aug 26th, 2011

The office staff are all former patients. I think they're "working off" their surgeries. My endrocrinologist referred me to Dr. Speigel. The surgery did exactly what was expected. I've lost 70 lbs and I did it over a one year period. The problem is the office visits. They're super quick and very impersonal. My last one I did not even see the doctor. Another woman who I had never met gave me my fill which was painful and bruised me. I've been watching my UHC paperwork and have been surprised by many of the billings. Today I got there and was told that I needed to pay $100 instead of my regular $25 co-pay. Maegan told me that she had left a message on both of my phone numbers tells me that my insurance was no longer covering my health care there. I told her that there was no way I missed two messages and since they ONLY take cash, she sent me to an ATM. I drove back to work. Called the insurance person at the office and she didn't care any more than anyone in that office cares. They are simply doing their time. I have a friend who has had the surgery, but with a different doctor. 100% polar difference in my care and treatment. Which, in my humble opinion, has been no support whatsoever. No help in training. All the information I have gotten has been on-line or from my friend.

|  fraud!  |  show details
Aug 19th, 2011

Let's see if knew back then what I know now it would have been worth the 2 week wait to see the doctor I orginally wanted. They over charged me request cash refused to give me a receipt and double billed the insurance company to boot! GO ELSEWHERE it is worth the wait. You work to hard for your benefits and your money to be robbed of it.

Aug 17th, 2011

Lets see. his office staff seems as if they care NOTHING about you. No I do not care about bedside manners of the surgeon but when it comes to other people...that are going through what you are about to go through and they dont care about you? then what should one do? They try to find ways through insurance and out of insurance to hide moneys, and are very crooked when it comes to money. It is one thing to be greedy, but its another thing to be a thief of patients and insurance fraud. He is a good surgeon though, as far as I know.

|  this doctor is crazy!!!!!!!  |  show details
Aug 17th, 2011

The office is rude and lies just to get your money. He rushes you in and out of the room. Makes you pay all this extra money. Then they say they have a nurse in the office, but they dont. This doctor is all about money. greedy. All he cares about is money. I switched doctors - thank GOD - because my friend used him and she regrets it.

|  HORRIBLE DOCTOR  |  show details
Jul 19th, 2011

Dr. Speigal is a terrible, uncaring doctor. I had some stomach damage that complicated lap-band surgery, I told him about it in advance and he didn't do one test to check it out--not a CAT scan, not an MRI, not even an upper GI. He arrogantly told my husband and I in his office that he had only had one patient that he did the surgery on and could not place a lap band in his office, and that the worst case was that he would have to do a large incision. I agonized over that decision, but decided to do it. AFTER I was taken to the OR, on the table, Dr. Speigal came to me and said he had decided that he didn't want to do a large incision and that this might not work. No other tests had been done, I was taken away from my support, I was drugged, I was stressed--not a place to make a decision. I said "if you don't think this will work, I don't want the surgery!" All of this time, my family is waiting, stressed, thinking I am in surgery. He finally came back in and said "It's OK, I am sure I can do it." and I agreed to the surgery. After surgery, I woke up to learn that he could not do a lap band--I had unneccessary surgery, and paid for the surgery for nothing! I was incredibly upset and angry--I wanted to be released because I was afraid of the lack of care I was getting. One of the nurses told me that there were three other patients who did not get a lap band either--I guess we were not a good investment of this time! Also, it was obvious he lied to me when he said he had only had one other patient. I went home the next day and came back to the office a week later to have my incision checked, and Dr. Speigal breezed in and said "OK, see you in a week for a fill." I said "I DON'T HAVE A BAND." He didn't even remember me. Today, I called and asked for his office to send me my medical records so I can go to another doctor. I was told that I needed to pay them $25 for my records. I told them that i had no intention of paying Dr. Speigal any more since i paid him thousands and he did nothing for me. I was told by the employee "I am not having this conversation with you." What should I have expected???

Jun 3rd, 2011

I couldnt ask for a better doctor. I had the sleeve about 4 months ago and lost 53 pounds already. The staff is very understanding and they take time with you. That was a major plus for me. Dr. Spiegel changed my life and i would reccomend him to anyone!

|  DO NOT USE THIS DOCTOR  |  show details
May 21st, 2011

This MD is only after profit. There are too many MDs in Houston for you to waste your time with someone who doesn't care about about anything other than your $ bills. STAY AWAY

|  Dr. No Personality  |  show details
May 13th, 2011

This Dr and staff are wonderful before the surgey, after the surgery they do not follow up with you and are not friendly at all. The Dr seems to be all about money. He does not work with your problems he just brushes you off.

|  Reading reviews  |  show details
Dec 28th, 2010

I was disappointed to hear some of the comments about Dr. Speigel. I don't think anyone told you the exactly what one can lose, yet what you should expect to lose if you follow the program. This is just a tool to help you in losing your weight. Maybe one should read more about how each of the surgery works. Myself I had three surgery for weight loss. I found the one I didn't want the most was the one that was successful for me and I have been to two other doctors and I would say their level of bedside manner was about the same. Professional yet time limited due to work load helping America get a hold of us being over weight . If you think having the surgery is the answer for weight lost, your wrong. You have to work at it, by changing bad eating habits. It took me until my third surgerey (lap-band) to realize this. I am happy to say I have lost fifty pounds, and still want to lose about twenty more. It hasn't been a year, yet, my goal is to lose 70 pounds in a year by the date of my surgery. Just couple more things, yes you are limited to what you can eat, yet if you follow the program on what you should be eating and when, you won't have issues, instead you will see the weight loss. Stop using the doctor for the reason for not losing the weight. You are not overweight because you have control. Also, it took a year to date for when I had my surgery to when I had my first appointment. Marissa worked with me in getting approved. We had to jump a few hoops, yet with my follow up and her assistance, I was approved. In the first five months I saw Dr. S four times, I know this well work if you work at it. Stop blaming the dr. and work on following the weight loss program given to you for losing weight. Again it's a tool and there are reasons while some patients have complications. This happens with any kind of surgery. If you invested all that money, I would think you would follow the weight loss program, and the fills would be nothing in cost, yet to help you again on the success for losing your weight. Those of you thinking about doing, do your research. You are the one that can make it successful. Mrs. W

|  Amazing surgeon, great bedside manner and quite handsome  |  show details
Nov 14th, 2010

Dr. Spiegel is a very nice and handsome physician. He operated on me and I left the hospital the next morning. he really cares about his patients. i read the previous comments from other people and I can't believe anything the other people say. This man is very caring and sincere and he cares about the patient. He has a medical team that manages any possible complication.

|  Horrible!  |  show details
Aug 25th, 2010

I have never dealt with such a money-hungry doctor. He is lacking in all professionalism and coutesy. I paid over $15,000 for my surgery and then when I had some concerns afterwards, I was told I would have to pay a $150 'consultation fee' to talk to the doctor. That is just ridiculous! I was also told my adjustments would be free for a year but found out AFTER the surgery that they were actually $125. And everything has to be paid in cash...which seems a little shady to me. His office staff is rude and unprofessional as well.Dr. Speigel has a horrible bedside manner and is condescending instead of encouraging. I have had my band for almost 5 years and have maybe seen him 3 times. Please please do NOT use him as your doctor. He does not care about the patient...only about the money!!!

Jun 2nd, 2010

I Have gone to many doctors and I decided to chose Dr. Spiegel and i know i made the RIGHT CHOICE!! I got the sleeve and i already lost 15 pounds and still losing! I wound recommend him to anyone!

May 23rd, 2010

I tried to get the office to work with my insurance carrier but they put me off so many times I got frustrated and went with somone else. The staff told me on several occassions they lost my paperwork then I was told it was under review for several weeks. I got very discouraged and decided not to deal with them. If I was treated this way before surgery I wonder how I would be treated after surgery. I guess they have so many clients and I didn't matter.

|  Please DO NOT USE Dr. Spiegel!!  |  show details
by Please do NOT use Dr. Spiegel! on Feb 22nd, 2010

I recieved the gastric sleeve, I was told by Dr. Spiegel that I would loose 40 pounds if I spent the $16,900 (CASH ONLY) and I have not lost a pound!!! I am still eating as much as I did before -when he guaranteed this would NOT happen!! I trully regret using him as my doctor and would NEVER recommend him!

|  TERRIBLE!!!  |  show details
by CJ on Jan 20th, 2010

STAY AWAY. So aggressively money hungry... really only a marketing artist.... Either his skills at being a surgeon is lacking or he just doesn't care about me as a patient.In addition to not being satisfied with my procedure, the office nickel and dimed both me and the insurance company.avoid at all costs. All the articles you read in magazines are paid advertisements.

by LapbandGirl on Apr 15th, 2009 on citysearch.com

|  LapBand is Great but not with Spegiel  |  show details
by LapbandGirl at Citysearch on Apr 15th, 2009 on citysearch.com

In 2005, I made the best choice of my life with the worst possible person. I decided to have LapBand and chose Dr. Spegiel as my surgeon. I would do it all over again, except the doctor. He is so concerned with the bottom line that it have overcome him. His office participates in a practice I like to label a ""cattle call"". This is where several people are all given the same appointment time and you line up and wait for the 4 minutes that he may grace your presence. Today, during my visit he demanded that I wait outside for him to get to me. This was after he interrupted a discussion I was having with a staff member in regards to a possible band restriction. I was so upset that I simply left. He treats his patients and staff poorly and his staff is never the same person twice...tells me his leadership skills are lacking too. Good luck in your search but look else where for a good doctore.

|  He's a money hungry loser!  |  show details
Mar 11th, 2009

My sister received the lap band from Dr. Spiegel two years ago and has had so many problems since. She has been to his office many times but has only been seen by his staff. Each time they tell her that her lap band is fine, he told her to make an appointment and he would re-do the surgery. (Ofcourse for the same price as the first one.) My sister has had abdominal pains and has been unable to eat solid foods for several months now and her symptons just keep getting worse. She went to the ER where the ER doctor called Dr. Spiegel and he told her to 'call me tomorrow for an appointment.' What a inconsiderate, money hungry bastard!