Dr. Floyd Purcelli, MD
Otolaryngologist (ear, nose, throat)

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.0

Some ratings provided by CitySearch.
 |  not recommended  |  show details
by julia sallii at Citysearch on Sep 30th, 2011 on citysearch.com

I came in for a blocked ear I think its ear wax and to begin with he was looking in my ear cannel 9142011 with a broken cracked in half magnify loop. He never even used the common otoscope to look in my ear canal! He told me I had a small piece of ear wax and used a vaccume needle thing that was very painful and uncomfortable. It was so uncomfortable my head would unvoluntarily flench away and he rudley told me to stop or he may injure my ear badley. I asked if if most other people are comfortable doing this and he said yes, which i find very hard to believe. He said to relax because im making it worse. after that horrible expereince I went to do the hearing test. He didnt tell me how I did nor gave me any insight after it. I felt like it was soely for billing purposes. He than put some medication stuff on a qtip and swiped in on both of my ears without any explanation other than ok were all set thanks basically To his defense I told him i think my ear is better, the blocked ear is very mild thus hard to tell if it got better or not immediatly but in reality its still the same and now making another apt. somewhere else. I would advise to not go here...

|  He saved my career!  |  show details
Jun 8th, 2011

I had a very clogged right ear and the side of my head was aching. I thought my singing career was over, but after a short visit with the doc, I was healed! He gave me a hearing test and I passed! I really like the fact that he has 2 options on his voicemail, one for emergencies, and the other for non. He called me within minutes! My hearing hasn't been this good since....?

|  Best ENT ever  |  show details
by CarverFarrow at Citysearch on Apr 1st, 2011 on citysearch.com

I don`t understand these people who give Dr. Purcelli such horrible roviews. i can only assume that they are never satisfied.I`ve been seeing Dr. Purcelli since I was 25. He`s never talked down to me nor been condescending. He`s matter of fact, no BS-straight talk.I`d note that none of the negative reviews have mentioned anything about him not being skilled. That`s because Dr. Purcelli knows his stuff inside and out

|  Best ENT ever  |  show details
by CarverFarrow at Citysearch on Apr 1st, 2011 on citysearch.com

|  Old time doc  |  show details
Feb 25th, 2011

He is quick and not big on chit chat but he knows his stuff. If you are looking for an experienced doctor, he is your man.

|  Let`s get real  |  show details
by lillywillis at Citysearch on Feb 25th, 2011 on citysearch.com

I read all these reviews and yes he is not the warmest fuzziest doctor I have ever seen but he is thorough and he knows his stuff. He is not much on chit chat he is all business. He is efficient and despite the gruff exterior, he is a kind man. My son has been going to him for about 5 years, We have never had trouble getting an appointment, the office staff has always been lovely to us and my son was well treated. Dr. Purcelli performed a tonsellectomy on my son and he felt very safe with him. He felt cared for in the office. They always commented on how big he was getting and talked to him. I have no complaints. My son has MediCal and I never felt that we received a lesser standard of care. If you are looking for a doctor to be your therapist, go elsewhere. If you are looking for good efficient care by a seasoned old fashioned doctor, I recommend him.

|  cannot recommend  |  show details
by ellenk2010 at Citysearch on Jan 7th, 2011 on citysearch.com

I have to agree with a previous reviewer Dr. Purcelli has a tendency to patronize and \"talk down to\" his patients, unfortunately. He might be a good doctor, regardless of his age, but I have a professional degree as well and don`t appreciate being treated like a 5 year old. I did not keep my follow-up appointment with Dr. Purcelli, and I am not going to select him again should I need the care of a ENT physician.

|  cannot recommend  |  show details
by ellenk2010 at Citysearch on Jan 7th, 2011 on citysearch.com

I have to agree with a previous reviewer Dr. Purcelli has a tendency to patronize and \"\"talk down to\"\" his patients, unfortunately. He might be a good doctor, regardless of his age, but I have a professional degree as well and don`t appreciate being treated like a 5 year old. I did not keep my follow-up appointment with Dr. Purcelli, and I am not going to select him again should I need the care of a ENT physician.

|  Excellent Doctor  |  show details
by Vivian Sypien, Santa Monica on Dec 15th, 2010

Ease in getting the appointment, no waiting, curtesy and professionalism of office staff. Excellent help and accuracy in diagnosing and curing the problem. Very caring and wonderful doctor that I would recommend to all my friends.

|  Worst Dr. appointment EVER  |  show details
by Cayenne at Citysearch on Jul 28th, 2010 on citysearch.com

I have never been treated so rudely by a Dr. in my 35 years. I was in a lot of pain due to the pressure from a huge buildup of wax, and when I winced as he was sticking pointy tools in my ear and removing wax, he admonished me for making the experience worse by being tense. Clearly, the 2938292 years he has been practicing have jaded him to the fact that his patients do not ultimately control the fact that they are in pain. He went on to tell me that he had never seen someone getting their ears cleaned be so sensitive, and that he couldn`t believe I was in pain. When he got the the really bad ear and informed me he was going to have to irrigate it, he cocked his head and said, \"Do you think you`re going to be able to handle that\" I absolutely should have walked out in the first two minutes of the appointment, because it was clear immediately that he was either in a horrible mood, a horrible Dr., or both. I have no problem with having to endure some discomfort to get a physical issue solved, and I was in no way trying to communicate that I thought it was HIM that was causing the pain, but any Dr., worth herhis salt should realize that people typically go to the Dr. when there is a problem, and should have a shred of empathy when a patient is in pain. Not anger, frustration, and reacting abrasively and with malice.Do not go to this guy.

|  Worst Dr. appointment EVER  |  show details
by Cayenne at Citysearch on Jul 28th, 2010 on citysearch.com

I have never been treated so rudely by a Dr. in my 35 years. I was in a lot of pain due to the pressure from a huge buildup of wax, and when I winced as he was sticking pointy tools in my ear and removing wax, he admonished me for making the experience worse by being tense. Clearly, the 2938292 years he has been practicing have jaded him to the fact that his patients do not ultimately control the fact that they are in pain. He went on to tell me that he had never seen someone getting their ears cleaned be so sensitive, and that he couldn`t believe I was in pain. When he got the the really bad ear and informed me he was going to have to irrigate it, he cocked his head and said, \"\"Do you think you`re going to be able to handle that\"\" I absolutely should have walked out in the first two minutes of the appointment, because it was clear immediately that he was either in a horrible mood, a horrible Dr., or both. I have no problem with having to endure some discomfort to get a physical issue solved, and I was in no way trying to communicate that I thought it was HIM that was causing the pain, but any Dr., worth herhis salt should realize that people typically go to the Dr. when there is a problem, and should have a shred of empathy when a patient is in pain. Not anger, frustration, and reacting abrasively and with malice.Do not go to this guy.

|  Knowledeable!! Experienced!!  |  show details
by Mrs Matus on May 19th, 2010 on citysearch.com

This doctor is a last resort for patients looking for a second, third opinion. I always recommend him for ENT matters. What I love the most, is that he always makes sure the patient does not pay for services he or she does not need. e.g. Xrays, MRI etc... extremely conservative, first he will treat the patient with medicines, but does not resort to surgery, unless it is REALLY necessary.

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
 |  ear infection  |  show details
Apr 28th, 2010

very nice deffinitley a 10 star doctor all the staff was very nice i was treated very well. debra sexton marina del rey

|  I EXPERIENCED SEVERE PAIN - HE IS AWFUL  |  show details
by Jed Firestone on Mar 2nd, 2010

I went to see Dr. Purcelli for an ear issue. He used a metal instrument to clean deep inside my ear and instructed me not to move. I felt a deep pressure and discomfort. He then used a vacuum tube to clean deep inside my ear canal. I began experiencing severe pain while Dr. Purcelli was "cleaning" my ear. I asked him if it was normal to be experiencing pain during this procedure and he responded no. I told him that it was beyond uncomfortable and that it was really starting to hurt. I clenched my teeth and my eyes began to tear. He did not listen, he instead told me that he's been doing this for 40 years and he knows what he's doing. I told him that I was trying to communicate that I was in severe pain and he told me that I was being too sensitive. His nurse did a quick hearing test on me after the "cleaning". He told me I passed and advised me to use a nasal spray to help with my hearing. My issue was not resolved.

by Rob on Feb 22nd, 2010

Dr. Purcelli is straight and to the point. He's a good Dr. with more experience than most Dr's. I've ever been to. If you're looking for a Dr. who is going to be your friend, ask about your family, your weekend and hold your hand and spend lots of time with you, then you should go elsewhere. He does his job in a non-bs sort of way - he gets right to the point. And they are very fast. I've never waited longer than 10 minutes for him. Usually it's under 5 minutes. You get in, meet w/Dr. Purcelli, he listen's to your problem, checks you out, gives you the diagnosis, the info you need to get better and you are on your way. Your complete appointment will take less than 20 minutes - which is usually less than how long you'll wait to even see most Dr.'s. Not sure why people complain about waiting for him - I've been to his office 5 or 6 times and have never waited for longer than 10 minutes. I do agree with some of the comments that when you start asking questions, he's very blunt in his response. But I don't mind bluntness - I'm there to see the Dr. and get better, not make a best friend who's going to beat around the bush.

by mirkaltern on Nov 3rd, 2009 on citysearch.com

I went to doctor Purcelli before reading the reviews, and I'm appalled to read all the negative comments. The person that just saw me cannot be the same described in other reviews. From his assistant to himself, I felt welcome. He asked me for my sympt

|  Knowledgeable physician, nice gentleman, excellent doctor  |  show details
by mirkaltern at Citysearch on Nov 3rd, 2009 on citysearch.com

I went to doctor Purcelli before reading the reviews, and I`m appalled to read all the negative comments. The person that just saw me cannot be the same described in other reviews. From his assistant to himself, I felt welcome. He asked me for my symptoms, checked my throat, nose, ears and lungs and gave me a prescription with a great smile. He went thru every detail in the prescription, and gave me another sheet of products I will be needing, together with instructions. He sat with me for a few minutes, gave me samples for antihistaminic and discount coupons, he even made small talk about my little girl, all that in only 10 minutes. I`ll definitely come back -although I hope I won`t need it!- and absolutely recommend him.

by seekingsometruth on Oct 30th, 2009 on citysearch.com

He didn't care to know the reason why I wanted to see him. He stuck a scope up my nose and wrote me a prescription. When I began to ask questions regarding my visit, such as: My voice gets hoarse easily and I haven't been able to speak clearly for 9 days

by femalepatient on Oct 30th, 2009 on citysearch.com

when i needed a refill of the nasal spray and left a message on his office machine at 4:00PM on a weekday that I considered my not breathing an emergency, he called back to tell me MY BREATHING WAS NOT HIS EMERGENCY and it could wait until he next went in

|  my breathing not his emergency at 400PM on a weekday  |  show details
by femalepatient at Citysearch on Oct 30th, 2009 on citysearch.com

when i needed a refill of the nasal spray and left a message on his office machine at 400PM on a weekday that I considered my not breathing an emergency, he called back to tell me MY BREATHING WAS NOT HIS EMERGENCY and it could wait until he next went in to his office.he is rude, cold and obnoxious.i told him his standard of care didn`t fit my own and I hope they don`t fit yours either.

|  Biggest Jerk EVER  |  show details
by seekingsometruth at Citysearch on Oct 30th, 2009 on citysearch.com

He didn`t care to know the reason why I wanted to see him. He stuck a scope up my nose and wrote me a prescription. When I began to ask questions regarding my visit, such as My voice gets hoarse easily and I haven`t been able to speak clearly for 9 days and I have chronic sinus problems is there anything I can do to change my behavioral patterns or environment to reduce these negative effects He responded by saying, \"\"That`s what the prescription is for, and didn`t you come to me because of my experience I don`t have magic hands to take this away, I am not God. That`s why I have written you a prescription.\"\" His voice and demeanor was so rude I began to tear up. To this he says, \"\"Crying and getting upset is only going to make you sicker, I suggest you stop.\"\" Needless to say, he`s horrific!

|  No Joke..this guy is an A$$hole  |  show details
by vderkara at Citysearch on Sep 29th, 2009 on citysearch.com

I read these reviews before visiting Dr Purcelli and I decided to go anyway, plus I had no choice...HMO. ALL THE COMMENTS ABOVE ARE TRUE. The first visit was decent. Waiting a bit long but he probed my nose, and referred me to a CT scan for deviated septum and talked about surgery to straighten it, which is what I wanted. When i asked him to explain more he said we will talk about it next visit cha ching for him. Next visit comes around, he doesnt seem to remember why I was there, wanted to give me naisel sprays when at the previous appt he talked about surgery. Made me confused, so when I asked him to explain more he got upset and became an a-hole about the whole thing. Then he wanted to probe my nose more because what the CT scan showed didnt match his first probe....forget it. Bottom line, if someone cant make me feel comfortable why let them do surgery on me. DONT GO TO THIS GUY.

by vderkara on Sep 29th, 2009 on citysearch.com

|  FABULOUS Physician  |  show details
by VDawnLo at Citysearch on Jun 16th, 2009 on citysearch.com

by VDawnLo on Jun 16th, 2009 on citysearch.com

We were referred to Dr. Purcelli by our insurance company when we requested a second opinion on behalf of our two year old daughter who has a lot of wax in her ears. The prior otolarynologist (a doctor I won't name, but who has a Beverly Hills addres

|  Do NOT use this Doctor!  |  show details
by 140pearl at Citysearch on Feb 25th, 2009 on citysearch.com

I can not express enough - Do NOT use this Doctor. I was mugged downtown coming out of Staples Center, and had a broken nose. I went to see this Doctor and he was horrible. First of all, he has a really bad attitude. He was an hour behind schedule, and rushed me through the appointment without even looking at my nose. He would not give me anything for the pain or sleeping problems - my nose was broken! He told me to take some Excedrin, and Benedryll to sleep. He sent me for the wrong scans, which I had to pay for. He misdiagnosed my nose as having cartilage damage when it was in fact fractured. Had he properly treated me, I very well could have avoided a upcoming surgery that will cost over 10,000. Had he properly set and packed my nose, all could have been avoided. My treatment was so bad, I left his office and went later that afternoon to see my general practitioner who sent me to a proper doctor. Unfortunately, by the time the correct scans were taken, and I saw the proper Doctor, my nose had healed broken, and now I can`t breath. When I refused to pay his 200 bill, he wrote my doctor to complain, and threatened me with collections. Do NOT use this Doctor. See Doctor Robert Ruder. Much Much better!

by 140pearl on Feb 25th, 2009 on citysearch.com

Read Full Review at citysearch.com
 |  absolutely terrible experience.  |  show details
Jan 5th, 2009

this is the absolute worst doctor I have ever come in contact with. He cancels my surgery 4 hours after it was supposed to happen and then bills me for pre op work. I did not cancel. I was there for the surgery early. Yet you had a tee time and decided you were going to bank a few bucks and not do anything. Legal action pending.

|  DO NOT USE THIS DOCTOR  |  show details
by Scottie313 at Citysearch on Nov 2nd, 2008 on citysearch.com

He is very rude and does not listen to you. There were people coming in for appointments every ten minutes. He juggles between 3 different rooms and makes an attempt to listen to you for a minute then he`s off to the next room while you wait for 10 minutes. He mis-diagnosed me and and gave me medicine that did me no good. I ended up seeing another ENT doctor who diagnosed me correctly and gave me medicine that made me bounce back the next day. I Highly recommend seeing any other doctor than F M Purcelli, he is a waste of time and should not be a doctor!

by Scottie313 on Nov 2nd, 2008 on citysearch.com

He is very rude and does not listen to you. There were people coming in for appointments every ten minutes. He juggles between 3 different rooms and makes an attempt to listen to you for a minute then he's off to the next room while you wait for 10 minut