Internist, Rheumatologist
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

• Currently 3.6190476190476 of 4 stars
Dec 16th, 2014

Simply an unbelievable physician, with old-school approach, and modern knowledge and use of modern technology.

|  He saved my life  |  show details
by Christy P on May 30th, 2014

Dr. Koumpouras diagnosed me with something that I guarantee would have taken the rest of my life for others to figure out. I have many specialists involved in my care and he put all the pieces of the puzzle together. He figured out what others could not. I am a nurse practitioner and I can say that I trust this man with my life. I am eternally grateful for the gift he has. He is the most caring doctor I have ever met and I been in medicine for twenty years. I can never repay him.

|  glad I found him.  |  show details
by Nancy on Dec 5th, 2013

I have had chronic fatigue, brain fog, numbness, joint pain and dizziness that has kept me from living a normal life for over 18 years. I had seen by various PCP's in several states and a Neurologist. Fourteen years of being misdiagnosed with everything from MS, Chronic Fatigue, PPD and anxiety was very frustrating and caused anxiety! Finally, I was referred to Dr Koumpouras who ordered extensive blood work and had me diagnosed with Lupus by my second visit with him. He is very thorough and spends a long time each visit listening to your concerns, collaborating with you to sort out the best course of action/treatment. I am a "retired" RN and am exceptionally picky about my doctors. I can tell which ones are genuine and which are not. There are many doctors out there that have "good" reputations that I do not consider to be good doctors. Dr. Koumpouras happens to have a good reputation AND is a good doctor. My only complaint with his practice is that there is a long wait to see him (for obvious reasons), and that his staff is not good about following up with lab results etc. I have to chase down results and keep on top of things. The office is very busy ----- they need to hire more nurses to follow up with patients, I think the ones that they have are stretched too thin.

by Sherry on Nov 24th, 2013

Dr. Koumpouras was wonderful. I had to drive pretty far but it was well worth the visit. He is very caring and you can tell he wants to help his patients. I had previously seen another rheumatologist and didn't get any help from him so I did my research to find Dr. Koumpouras. He is very thorough sends his patients for for thorough labs and gives a thorough exam. Also he works at a place called "The Lupus Center of Excellence" and he is excellent. A graduate of Yale, what more can you ask for.

Nov 21st, 2013

I was very pleased with my care from Dr. K. What I did not like was he changed offices 4 times while I was a patient. The office went from a convenient location, to 1 that was OK, to yuck. I also was schedule to see Dr. K and was passed to the PA. I would not have minded but I had not been asked if I minded seeing her. I think you should be informed who you will see rather than just give to a PA.

Nov 4th, 2013

While Dr. Koumpouras is clearly and expert in his field, everyone surrounding him is incompetent. The PAs and other workers in his office are incapable of calling in prescriptions, providing followup information to patients, getting new prescriptions prescribed by the Dr. pre-authorized, or answering simple necessary follow-up questions. I would not recommend this office to my worst enemy.

|  Mrs.  |  show details
by Stephanie Sheehan on May 24th, 2013

He is the most caring doctor that I have ever seen. He listens to what you have to say, I mean truly listens and then he finds a way to help.

|  Dr. Koumpouras is brilliant and compassionate!  |  show details
by Christy P on Feb 6th, 2013

As a successful RN in critical care and emergency medicine for sixteen years, soon to be nurse practitioner, I have been around physicians for twenty years. I have never met a more attentive, compassionate, and brilliant physician as Dr. Koumpouras. I have been sick for a year and a half with countless visits to PCP and specialists that for the most part blew me off. Unfortunately, the chain of events has resulted in some very concerning problems at this point. He is double board certified in two specialties and is a very special man. He cleaned up 18 months of really crappy care I received/didn't receive even as a health care provider myself. He not only cares, he goes above and beyond for the benefit of his patient. I am forever grateful for his services today, as we sort through the mess to get me diagnosed and hopefully living with a better quality of life. He is definitely using his highly specialized gifts for the greater good of humanity. Definitely are a rare breed of physicians at the WPAHS Lupus Center, as I know others that go there as well. The office staff are friendly, helpful, and they make you feel welcomed from the moment you walk in the door. More than highly recommended, he has given me peace that I haven't had in a year in a half and hope!!!!!

|  Open Minded & Smart  |  show details
Jun 28th, 2012

I had almost given up the hope of ever finding a doctor who can put all the puzzle pieces together. Dr. Koumpouras was patient, methodical and asked for details that no doctor ever cared to learn about. His open mindedness and thoroughness has led to a conclusive diagnosis with verifiable result to back it up as opposed to guesses that I have been subjected to for the past fifteen years.Now my entire family is setting up to see Dr. Koumpouras so he can explain those daunting symptoms in the world of autoimmune diseases. You rock Dr. Koumpouras!

|  No Better Doctor To Be Found!!!  |  show details
Jun 26th, 2011

I thank the good Lord everyday for letting me find Dr. K. For several years I would tell my doctors that "I ache all over, but especially my joints." It got to the point, they were about to commit me, thinking I had gone off the deep end! Thankfully my neurologist learned about Dr. K and referred me. On my first visit, after explaining all of my symptoms, he said he was confident I has Fibromyalgia, Sjogren's Syndrome and Rheumatoid Arthritis, but would send me for blood work to confirm his diagnosis. Darn tootin'!! He was right on the money!! Each visit, he listens to me and takes the time to explain everything to me and answers all questions I may ask. I feel like a new person, thanks to Dr. K. May God Bless him and keep him in Pittsburgh!! It's a 2 hour drive for me, but I'd drive two days or more just to be able to be seen by Dr. K!! Thanks Dr. K. for being such a caring, compassionate doctor ... we all love ya!!

Jun 20th, 2011

He is very thorough and my sister is doing 100% better since she has been seeing Dr K. She has been seeing him for 2 years now. We are from Cincinnati,Ohio and we make the drive to Pittsburgh to see Dr. K and he is worth the high gas prices!!!

|  Amazing doc!  |  show details
by Erika on Jan 11th, 2011

Dr. Koumpouras is the best doctor I've ever had. I feel as though he really cares about me and my condition. He pays close attention when I talk and has kept my Lupus in remission since I've started as a patient of his.

|  By far the best doctor I have ever been to...  |  show details
by W. Stewart on May 28th, 2010

He is a caring and compassionate doctor. He actually listens to you....a rare trait in today's healthcare world!

Apr 21st, 2010

I absolutely love Dr. Koumpouras! He's a great doctor that really cares and always takes the time to explain everything to me. He's very friendly, and I'd highly recommend him to anyone.