Dr. Fred Adams MD Patient Reviews

2.0
  • 2 reviews

May 3rd, 2015
very nice doctor! I have been going to him of years now.

June 16th, 2013
Horrible Experience
I have no problem with his reception staff, or the nurse. There were no long waits or being placed on hold forever. These, however, did not make up for the rest of my experience. Let me make this clear, first. This is NOT personal. Personally, I liked Dr. Adams. But I wasn't looking for a friend, I needed a doctor. I do not need a doctor to coddle me. I don't care if they're "all business," or give me clinical answers. I like that! As long as they take me and my medical issues seriously, I'm a happy camper. I have low progesterone during the first trimesters of my pregnancies, and because of this, I have a history of miscarriage. When I told him this, and asked him to prescribe progesterone and order blood tests to test my progesterone levels, he refused. He said there was no reason to test my progesterone levels as it was too early in the pregnancy (I was 5.5 weeks), and that there was no reason to give a pregnant woman progesterone. He said he only gave progesterone to women who were infertile and trying to conceive, but not yet pregnant. I told him I had already been spotting. He said he was going to do a pap smear and I said I had had one less than a year ago after my daughter was born, and I've never had abnormal results. I also told him I was uncomfortable with my cervix being disturbed this early in the pregnancy, since I had been spotting and had a history of miscarriage. He insisted it was fine and did the pap smear anyway. The pap smear was the most pain-free, gentle pap smear I've ever had. I barely felt it and for that I will give him credit! He ordered no blood tests at all. Not even a routine prenatal panel, even though I told him I was anemic after having my daughter via C-Section less than a year ago, and my levels had not been tested since then. He scheduled my next appointment for 6 weeks later (I would be nearly 12 weeks) and said he would do an ultrasound then. This is all fine if you're a low-risk or first time pregnancy with normal/low risk. But with someone with my history, I need my concerns to be heard. It gets worse. Six days later I woke up bleeding heavily. I called the office and was able to get an appointment for 2 hours later, which was acceptable to me. The nurse told me he'd be doing a physical exam and had me undress from the waist down. When he came in he asked if she'd given me a urine hcg test to see if the line had faded. She said no, because I was bleeding. He was a little rougher during this exam than he was for the first one. Or, it is possible, that I was more sensitive and in more pain. And now for the thing that prompted me to write this review. While he had the speculum in me, he reached up to the paper "gown" they gave me to put over my lap, ripped a piece of it off, and then proceeded to shoved it about 2 inches inside my vagina to wipe the blood away so that he could see what was going on better. This was a paper gown that had gone into the bathroom with me and was laid on their sink (as there was nowhere else to lay it), before my exam. This was NOT something sterile enough to be placed inside me at a time when I'm very vulnerable to an infection. After he was done he said that he would send me to get a blood test to check my HCG levels, and if it was positive for any, they would "scrape" me out. I have experienced loss before, and was prepared for the news my pregnancy had ended... but my heart aches thinking about another young woman going through a loss having to hear those words from him. There are kinder, more sensitive ways to deliver the news that someone has lost their pregnancy, other than to say, "we'll scrape you out." I threw the lab slip away and will never go back to him. I feel like Doctor Adams was a wonderful doctor 30 years ago. But I do not feel like he has any place handling high risk pregnancies, and I feel like some of his bedside manners could use some work. You don't have to sugar coat things with me, but I didn't feel his behavior was even professional. Oh, and as a side note, for both of my appointments there was a young woman who tagged along. She appeared to be barely 18 years old, and was never introduced to me, nor did she ever say a word. I assumed that she was a medical student. She stood directly behind the doctor during my exams and had a ring-side view to my private parts. I don't mind medical students. But that was probably the creepiest experience of my life. I recommend introducing them to the patients, and allowing them to speak.