Physiatrist, Anesthesiologist, Internist
Joint & Pain Treatment Centers
135 Carmen Ln
Santa Maria, CA 93458
805-928-7361
Locations and availability (10)

2.0

• Currently 2.1282051282051 of 4 stars
 |  Dr is god, while patients viewed as junkies  |  show details
Mar 26th, 2014

If you want to be ignored, made fun of, insulted, yelled at, called names, interrupted, cut off from your medication, then see this so-called dr. He hates his patients, but loves making money, which is why he has offices from santa barbara to templeton. "Do no harm" is what this guy does NOT do. His motto for dealing w/ patients is "Do the most harm, don't give a crap about patients, and above all, make the most cash in the shortest amount of time." I had severe back pain from a fractured back and was told the pain is all in my head, that i shouldn't be in pain. In an ideal world, yes, people never have pain from injuries, but this is earth, last time i checked. I would have gone down to the local chinese restaurant to get treated for pain, but i figured i'd try this guy (won't even call him by his profession, because i believe he should have his license revoked). What a mistake that was. One day, my medicine was stopped, and i landed in the e.r. In retrospect, I should have gone to the chinese restaurant.

|  Get another Doctor soon!  |  show details
by Dave on Mar 20th, 2014

I wouldn't loose time with this Doctor if you can call him Dr. dont have patient to the patients, he thinks that we are sick because we want, if your not heal yet he says thats because you don't want to. He is very rude if your trying to heal your self, the stuff its just like him very rude. they just there for the money not because they really want to help. the only thing that you can really do to help your self its find another doctor. so yeah this is the worst doctor I ever been with.

|  WORST DR. IVE EVER HAD THE DISPLEASURE OF SEEING!!!!!!!!!!!  |  show details
Feb 1st, 2014

This so called Dr. (I use the term dr. loosely!) Is the rudest most irresponsible person ive ever met. He walked into the exam room after ive been waiting about 45 minutes past my appointment time and asked me why I was on the medications I was on. As I started to answer his question he cut me off asked me to stand up bend forward and backward and to extend my legs and arms. After doing so he asked if that hurt. I replied yes (since I suffer from extreme chronic pain from many many injuries and ms. He then wrote a prescription and stated "we need to do injections into your spine." I actually thought he was joking! He stood up and walked out! I literally had to follow him out and TRY and figure out what he was talking about. I had to discuss my case in front of everyone in the waiting room!!!! I tried to ask him about an MRI that im supposed to have and he chuckled and said "Your insurance probably wont cover it." and then he walked off! Trust me people STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS MAN!

|  Best Doctor I've had  |  show details
Apr 12th, 2013

This doctor is the greatest, he really knows his stuff!

|  My hero  |  show details
by Fred Terranova on Feb 22nd, 2013

What a great doctor, wish all doctors were this great and all knowing.

Feb 12th, 2013

this disrespectful dr does not care about his patients, nor does his staff, the drs working under him, or his ever-so-rude PAs. if you want to be ridiculed, treated like a drug addict, and suffer more than you already are, even though you have legitimate pain and a documented condition, stay away from lagattuta.

|  Dr. Lags  |  show details
by Maria A on Feb 7th, 2013

I recommend Dr. Lags all the time, I've seen him for over ten years, he is fimilar with my case and I dislike repeating my problems to new doctors.

|  Awful, stay away if you value your health  |  show details
Feb 1st, 2013

Stay away, very rude dr, spent no time, did not examine me at all. I went elsewhere, found out what was actually wrong with me rather than pressuring me to get more procedures. I am so glad I went elsewhere.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Jan 26th, 2013

He just performed a procedure and I was pain free within 3 days, he is not one of those doctors that fill you up with pills just to get follow up payments, he's the opposite, he promotes less drugs and in this case less is better. Thanks Dr. Lags

|  Best pain management doctor I've meet.  |  show details
Nov 29th, 2012

I have been in pain for years since coming back from the Middle East and having multiple operations, pain procedures and failed theraphy plans. Dr Lagattuta is a no nonsense doctor, he has gotten me off so many pain killers that other doctors prescribed over the years. I highly recomend "Dr Lags" to everyone.

|  Discharged myself but.....  |  show details
Oct 3rd, 2012

Discharged my self from his practice last yr due to a rude male P.A. however two doctors that were there, Dr. Foo, and Dr. Majors, very caring and well informed. As for Dr. L saw him for 5 minutes the first visit, he took me off all the meds his side kick Monroy used to be with, wasn't to pleased with that. But once I was placed w/ Dr. Foo was very impressed and with David Majors.I have Chronic hip and neck pain due to iron overload disease. Discharged myself due to his office staff, i.e front desk, they were rude and disrespectful. I worked as a LVN for 22 yrs before a tc took that away and caused serious neck injuries. As for the P/A's I find them to be unpleasant and would prefer to be seen only by a M.D. To bad Dr Foo left his practice. I may ask to be seen again by his office, but only M.D.'s as I feel P/A's don't have the ability to understand the term "chronic Pain" I can't say enough about Dr. Foo and Dr.Majors both very professional and caring. If I have the chance to go back to his practice I will but that's only if I can be seen by a M.D. and not P/A's.

|  Will never go back!!!!!!!!  |  show details
Sep 7th, 2012

I did not feel like he really listened. He used alot of profanity when speaking and was talking about his other patients in detail including thier personal lives. When I tried to get a refill on my medication which was stollen from my vehicle in my luggage whils on vacation he made such an issue I was humiliated and do not even want to go back to my regular pharmacy. I have never been so embarassed or treated like this in my life. DO NOT GO SEE THIS DR!

|  very Rude! Doesnt care about patients only money  |  show details
Sep 6th, 2012

He is one rude guy! He had no sympathy for my pain cut me off all pain killers and told me I'm just going to have to deal with. Also did trigger point injections with no ultrasound machine I've been worse since also didn't have me sign anything Prior to the procedure or any aftercare paperwork I would not reccomend him as a doctor!

|  Not Happy  |  show details
Jun 2nd, 2012

I have been going to Lags Spine and SportsCare for along time.. I was helped Greatly..but the care went downhill. The Doctor I saw in Slo said he had 60 patients to see that day I waited 1 and a half hours and was lying on the floor in pain I still had pain meds left..but I was in Pain from waiting in a metal chair and having to walk up stairs..the office in slo is not haddicapped complient..I have no idea how he is getting away with this..but I signed out of my pain management Contract!Thank God!! I Got a New Doctor!! Thank you God!!!

May 13th, 2012

I have been seeing Dr. Lag for 10 years now. He is a very busy Doctor with many offices to maintain. Over the years he has seen me through thick and thin. Back in 2005 I lost my private health insurance and did not qualify for cen-cal, Dr. Lag saw me for free the whole year. If you are complaining about getting seen by his P/A then specifically ask for an appointment with him....They will schedule your appointment for a day that he will be in that office. If you go in there asking for narcotic medication on your first visit, then beware...although he is a pain management doctor he does not like people seeing him for meds only. I have had several of the nerve blocks/neurolysis performed... for those of you with intense back pain these do work and it is much better than taking pain medication! They have kept me going in my day to day life where as before I had them I could barely get up and move around. He is a very good doctor, I have never had a problem with him and he had always been there for me. Although lately the waiting time to see him has grown, to me seeing him is worth the wait. Thank you Dr. Lag for all you do - I think you are a great doctor!

May 4th, 2012

not very professional, will give you to other training doctors/PA without asking. do not have any other medical problems on your visit, not very understanding. suppose to be your doctor not insurance company doctor. go somewhere else, while you can

|  Cen Cal patients beware...your surprise of a lifetime!  |  show details
May 2nd, 2012

Dr Lag has over 17 clinics from slo county to SB counties. 24 hospital's?, not in slo or sb counties. Lag is a board member of Cen Cal for state aide pts, you are treated like dirt, like you don't know what is wrong with you,when you do. Only Lags can prescribe Oxycodone no other doctor through Cen Cal is allowed too. My own pharmist told me this, as it was denied because he is controlling people who have to depend on him for pain management. What a freaking joke. I have seen 7 doctors in a 3 yr time frame, can't get just one, or see his worthless PA's that don't have your chart, second guess your meds, an treat you like you are a idiot. Im going to the Medical Board, and the Governor of CA and file a complaint, then onward to the media and an malpractice attorney. This man needs his license revoked, and sent to prison. He is a crook, a liar and a worthless M.D. For those of you that think he is so great, you must have been drugged up by his incompent staff associates. I don't trust him with my life and am glad he is no longer my doctor.

|  to the people who don't believe the bad reviews...  |  show details
May 1st, 2012

the patients who say that they don't know what people are complaining about...well, read the reviews. just because you had a good experience w/ lag doesn't mean every patient will. it's basic psychology. he may be friendly to one patient, but not the next 10. i suffer from severe chronic back pain from a fracture and DDD. lag is by far the most uncaring, condescending dr i have seen to date. i've heard him yell at patients while waiting to be seen. i've had him accuse me of being a drug addict, though my fracture/DDD is diagnosed via catscan, mri, etc. the drs working under him are no better. some of them have talked to me as though i'm a little child. others have cut my dosages in half w/o warning. the staff loses paperwork, 'forgets' to call in prescriptions, does not relay messages. and if one is looking for resolution w/ the office manager, that will never happen. lag, manager, staff, drs...they all stick together. before seeing lag, one is better served dealing w/ pain on one's own or visiting a local dealer. this dr is deserving of being prosecuted/sued. if i had the money, i wud in a heart-beat.

Feb 7th, 2012

I have gone to this office for almost 4 years now. The doctors have been good and have been helpful in dealing with my issues. My problem is with the staff. I have to schedule early appointments as I work over night, they dont open on time- I wait outside for up to 10 minutes for an 8 oclock visit, I called once to complain about this and they put me on hold and said oh she sees you standing outside she forgot to unlock the door and 2 minutes later she arrives and walks up the stairs and unlocks the door from outside- she wasnt in the building but enroute. More recently i waited for the usual 10 minutes and after waiting for 10 minutes in the officewas told i needed to pay 85$ to see the doctor- (My account is paid in full and I have decent insurance) but I didnt have 85$ to pay her and she said I would need to reschedule my appointment. I asked if she could call someone and tell them I didnt have money to pay the 85$ and she said "No, thats your responsibility" I went home and called the office and the person that you speak to regarding your bill said she had no idea why I was being asked to pay $85" I wanted to tell someone in their management about this issue as maybe the reception person found a way to make extra income and the office manager will not return my call.They lost my business

Nov 1st, 2011

This office treats the lower income and disenfranchised communities in SLO County. Medi-Cal and Cen-Cal patients have NO other options regarding pain management and the staff is rude and uncaring. The general office staff is comprised of students becoming Medical Assistants who do their clinical training hours with Lags Spine. The Doctors are doing fellowships and last from six months to a year, so there is never a chance to form a relationship with a doctor that truly has an understanding of your case. I have witnessed people in the office in the throws of severe withdrawal whilst the staff rolls their eyes and repeats over and over that the next appointments are two weeks out. The patients bill of rights is not a standard of care for this office.

|  Great Doc.. Dont trust the other reviews  |  show details
Jul 2nd, 2011

I'm calling shenanigans on these other review.. I bet they are repeat reviews submitted by a disgruntled employee, patient and/or a competing doc. I just saw Dr Lags for the first time. He spent a great deal of time listening to my questions, assessing my physical condition, reviewing my MRIs, and discussing what has work and not worked with past treatment. He actually brought me into the dark room and explained my MRIs to me. I just relocated to the area and had initially seen another doctor at another PM group. That other doc refused to adequately treat my pain. I own a thriving consulting business serving fortune 500 companies, and as a programmer, I need to operate at the top of my game mentally and physically. When I went to see Dr Lags, he recommended a multi faceted approach to manage my condition and I am doing a lot better. This doc is a great listener and is compassionate. I frankly just cannot believe these other reviews. Best PM doc in the area IMHO. I only waited 5 minutes in the waiting room!

|  run as far as you can  |  show details
Mar 5th, 2011

This man spent a total of 7 mintues for a first and only visit with him. He wanted to schedulae a nerve block with no records or even a curseory exam. Nothing but had me stand on one foot. I strongly believe he should be investiged for medical insurace fraud. I heard him tell his staff they did not need authorization for a "massage" for a patient because they were medicare. I did not know you could get massages. I never returned but happen to see a insurance billing that our insurance paid for and he charged for that 7 mintues office visit was 450.00.It was like a factory in there...next

Feb 17th, 2011

I don't know what the reviewers are complaining about. Dr. Frank Lags is one of the top docs in the country and he helped me through a rough time in my life. I know I was not the best patient, but I was able to get off all the narcotics and get back to work. I'm exercising everyday and maintaining my core so I won't get hurt again. If I do get hurt, I hope Dr. Lags will be there to help!

Jan 16th, 2011

worst dr i have seen, and i've seen many. he is rude and disrespectful. he talks over you, interrupts, ignores querries. the patient knows nothing, dr is god. he does not believe his patients are in pain and treats them like drug addicts. some of drs working under are no different. one dr treated me like i was stupid or a little kid. his staff hardly ever relays messages, nor does it return calls.upsides:-lagattuta excepts sliding scale-a few drs working under him can be exceptional, but are very hard to find-walter, a santa maria office manager, has been helpful.i would not recommend this dr to anyone, unless he/she had no other choice. under no circumstance see dr lagattuta personally. see one of his other drs. dr foo is superb bar none, at least in my case.

|  OMG Dr. Francis Lagattuta M.D.  |  show details
Jan 12th, 2011

I have been on the Central Coast of Ca. of over 13 yrs. Never in that time have I ever been treated so pourly. My insusrance made me go to him. There are very few Doctors ( intractable pain mang.) that take Cen-Cal. His bedside manner is scary to say the least. He has made sexist comments to me in front of my husband, he has called me names, put me down and screemed at me with the doors open of all to see and hear. I have left his office crying three times. And to top it all off after 5 months of treatment, he has got me in the worst health that I have been in since I broke my neck in 1992. He is detoxing me at a rapid rate, against my will. He seems to get pleasure out of yelling at me with profanity and his staff. This doctor needs to be looked at by someone that can change things.

|  Didn't seem to care about pt needs  |  show details
Sep 12th, 2010

Waited over an hour and half, when seen by this doctor he didn't have the time to address my pain issues. Lunch was more important. Very displeased by his professional attitude. Will seek other doctor that specializes in chronic pain issues.

|  good experience  |  show details
Aug 27th, 2010

Best Dr. and staff ever very sweet and caring!! He is interested in the health of his patients and all his staff is great. the only time i had a problem was when i got an ultrasound done.. the guy that was helping him was rude. but besides him the doctor and the rest of his staff were great!!

|  Drug Dealer in a white coat.  |  show details
Jul 19th, 2010

My husband has had six blown disks and he has been seeing this doctor for pain management. He has had several procedures done, however none have worked leaving him worse off then he was before. They have got him so doped up on different meds, that withdrawl is a real issue. He doesn't help manage pain so much as over medicate it. Now my husband has problems associated with the medication, and his back is still messed up. His office staff are morons, and I have personally seen him berate his staff in front of clients. He is the biggest ass I have ever met and we had to BEG for physical therapy instead of more meds. Doctors are supposed to heal not just medicate.

Jul 10th, 2010

none

Jun 10th, 2010

Unfortunately this is one of the worst Dr. I have had. I have been misdiagnoised for over a year. They "lost" my xray of my neck attempted to do a needle stick into my neck as I screamed and cried in pain the person told me that "it could not possibly hurt that much", I just found out (1 year and 4 months later) that they should never have attempted this procedure, I have a deg. disk and a bone spur on this disk and they most likely "lost" my xray on purpose! Dont go to this Dr if you dont have to I had no choice.... STAY AWAY!!!

|  Horrible Experiences  |  show details
Feb 10th, 2010

This doctor's staff are the most useless, rudest, moronic group of people I've ever had the misfortune of having to deal with, at least at the Lompoc office. He needs to clean shop and get a new office manager, if anything. They are a bunch of chola girls with bad attitudes and horrible bedside and phone manners. I left an urgent message with the front office for the doctor, and it took them 3 DAYS to get back to me. Each day I called they told me they would for sure call me back by 5 that day .. never happened.

|  Horrible  |  show details
Aug 26th, 2009

For sure there is a whole lot of fraud going on with this Doctor. He should be investigated. More importantly he is a mean mean man who is in it for the power and the money. I believe the type of doctor that he is can benefit people who are in pain. But,,, I would never go to this man again. He does nothing but cuss and disrespect others even his own staff. You never want to see this man when he doesn't have a good day. I think if you are a proffesional you should be able to control yourself.

|  RSD Patient  |  show details
Jun 12th, 2009

"0" stars! There is no way I would refer him to anyone.His office is a cluster! They sent me to both offices; lost my records. The last time I saw him was 2007 when he did a surgical procedure which made me symptom free for nearly 1 1/2 years. I returned in May 2009 to have the "EXACT SAME PROCEDURE". They all were telling me they lost my previous records which means they don't know what my procedure was. They assured me they would have them for my surgery. I was told by the PA (never saw Dr Laguttuta)that they do have my records. The whole surgical experience was the worse I had ever had (13 previous surgeries) their staff was rude and inconsiderate. The procedure didn't work in fact had accelerated my condition. Since then I found MY copy of his surgical records; THEY DIDN'T DO THE RIGHT PROCEDURE! When I called and asked to speak directly to Dr Lags of course I got his useless office mgr; Lupae. She confirmed to me that they did do the wrong procedure and they didn't have all of my records at the time of surgery. The PA was missing the last page of my previous procedure. Dr Lags returned my call leaving me a msg:"I'm not sure how this happened. You can come back in at no charge for the additional procedure. Actually the Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block is the only one that really works, I just throw in the Lumbar epidural." Wow, sounds like insurance fraud as well. OH, I forgot. My first procedure was in 2007; my husband and I took off work only to arrive and find out "oh, your insurance wasn't approved; we aren't a provider." A bit confusing being that I've had a number of appts with Dr Lags prior to this and had no problem with my insurance (he owns both offices go figure). I was so upset that their office didn't show courtesy and call me ahead of time. We left. On our way home the office called me on my cell with apologies and offered me to have the procedure done: FREE! In closing we are in process of speaking with Malpractice attorneys. He has awful bedside manners; if you even see him vs one of his cronies."His office staff can not handle the legal aspects of medical records; they seem to lose medical records between offices.

|  Finally, a Dr that cares.  |  show details
by Jon Esposito on Apr 6th, 2009

There are Doctors out there who make it hard to get the care that you need. Dr. Lag is great. He accepts a sliding scale fee for people that are financially challenged. If he isn't available there are doctors that are equally in the know on the staff. The facilities that I've been seen in are clean , and the staff's bedside manor is great. For pain management Dr. Lag and Company are the only doctors for me. Thank you Dr. Lagattuta.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Dec 23rd, 2008

This Doctor truley cares about his patients.You always feel he's happy to see you and you can see he treats most of his patients this way.