Dr. Francis Mas MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8

December 11th, 2015
I thank Dr Mas for my well being after numerous mis-steps with other doctors...

December 8th, 2015
My neuro-psychiatrist support me
Over the last 30 years, despite of being an acute case of manic depression, I could live a great life thanks to the care and treatment dispensed by Doctor Francis Mas.

November 25th, 2015
Best of Best
The best of the best. His diagnosis was far and away the best made after seeing many doctors in the past, and his treatment has been nothing short of miraculous. With any issues, he comes up with measures to handle them.

July 16th, 2014
Edit My Review
In looking over my above review I see that I made a typo error that changes the content of my review considerably. I would NOT hesitate to recommend Dr. Mas, was what I had intended to write...but managed to leave out the word *NOT*...making the statement negative instead of positive. Cannot find a way to edit my review and so I am posting this here.

March 27th, 2014
Brilliant doctor. Subtle mind. Very articulate. Great results.
Dr. Mas has been a blessing for me and has enabled a transition back to a more normal and healthy life. He correctly diagnosed that I had two different and simultaneous conditions and slowly, and I emphasize slowly (in terms of dosage), gave me prescriptions to treat each of them, monitoring my reactions along the way. The explanation as to why he was treating my mental illness in this way was clear and cogent, and made complete intuitive and intellectual sense. The results were tangible and, once proven effective, he did not seek to see to more often than necessary to monitor my progress--all the while letting me know that I could call him at any time to schedule an appointment if I felt it necessary. Dr. Mas always offered numerous options, and was a very good listener when it came to my symptoms, which is what I believe allows him to use the state-of-the-art or the time-tested medications for best results. In sum, I could not ask for a better doctor, who is also a very intelligent, personable, and nice man who reminds me strongly of Jacques Pepin. Intelligence, competence, class, empathy, communication. That is how I would describe his treatment. No promises of a "silver bullet," but a grasp of the complexity of the unique way my brain works and how to best regulate it to allow for a return to fully functioning existence in what is a very tough city! Ultimately, he does not promise to be a modern-day Shaman, and assumes that the patient take some control over their own prescribed treatment, as all adults must be expected to do.

January 16th, 2014
Wonderful Doctor
My experience with Dr. Mas goes back qyute a few years.. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, I began to have anxiety attacks. I had never experienced anything like this before. Very quickly, they escalated into a serious situation. I had violent stomach upset and could not stand the sound of noises and felt , quite frankly, like I was going out of my own skin. It was horrible! My daughter, who is a physician herself, immediately got in touch with Dr. Mas, and he agreed to see me immediately. He was wonderful! He quickly identified the root of my trouble and was able to control and since manage my problem. I find him to be a very kind and friendly individual. He is always willing to listen, and explain, and is always open to making changes to my course of treatment, if they are needed. Monique, who runs his office, is a very efficient, and pleasant person. She does her job in a very professional manner and I for one really appreciate that. I would hesitate to recommend Dr. Mas.

March 22nd, 2013
Where psychiatrists send their difficult cases
I worked with two psychiatrists in succession. Neither was successful in getting to the root of my problem. The second one sent me to Dr. Mas. He told me that he and others send their difficult cases to Dr. Mas. He went through my medical history and symptoms, my reaction to various medications, and then went with an approach that had not been tried. It ended up working without any side effects. (A standard drug, nothing too mysterious). I have been using it with some modifications in dosage for the last four years.

August 10th, 2011
Clear to me that all the bad ratings are from the same person
It is really too bad that there is someone out there who is allowed to give multiple bad opinions on this website. If you read all the negative comments - it is clear that they are written by the same person. In one of the comments he/she admits that she/he will "continue" to post negative feed on Dr. Francis Mas. Too bad that multiple opinion from the same patient is allowed. It truly corrupts the rating of Dr. Mas.I respect anyone's opinion - but clearly this person was not satisfied (and that is good to know) - but it is not fair to campaign a personal vendetta in the hopes of tipping the scale.I personally have been a patient of Dr. Mas for nearly 20 years. I have recommended him to many. He has not only helped me but also others to whom I recommended.

August 3rd, 2011
A Singular Case
There are times in life when there is no room for humour or irony. This is a case in point. Having read these reviews and some are trenchant when it comes to Dr. Mas and his reputation, I am wondering why the former patient, who has by all accounts suffered the duration of a lifetime from treatment at his hands, has not taken her case to the medical legal practice? By way of introduction, I am now 60 and have been under this doctor's care for depression/anxiety and a severe social panic disorder since the late 1980s. My personal story is somewhat charged with irony, but I shall not divert here. This is what I have to relay based on my own experience under the care of Dr. Mas. He is the right doctor for me. However, this may not be correct when it comes to other patients. Therefore and when in doubt, one should start looking for another professional, one that makes one feel safe, comfortable and better while keeping in mind that nobody is infalliable. and I can only has always come through for me, and it has been quite a few years now that I believe he is a neurologist as opposed to a psychiatrist. If I had to choose a therapist, it would be a woman of my age. What have I learn if anything in the last decade? One can not place one's life entirely into anybody else's hands because we are ultimately responsible for ourselves. This is not apply to our young children.

June 13th, 2011
francis mas is not christ, a magician, a miracle worker
francis mas might be charismatic, charming, intelligent (within the narrow range of what interests only himself) but that does not create a qualified diagnostician nor caregiver.some of us are not so fortunate to have textbook symtoms. also some of us are not delusional and compare someone who drugs us beyond reality to religious icons, or imaginary literary characters.francis mas, as long as i know him, and it is quite a long time - most of my life - never knew what to do with my symptoms. it was easy, i had ptsd. i am neither bipolar, manic depressive, suicidal, up or down like a roller coaster. i suffered extreme abuse and neglect well into my early '20s.mas, rather than admitting he lacked the skills to make a correct diagnosis drugged me until i was having uninterrupted seizures 24 hours a day. i had an addiction to 10 psychotropic drug. yet, never at any time was i a danger to myself or others.i am 60 now and people tell me i am too gentle and if anything, i never raise my voice, act inappropriately or erratically.all of you may compare him to whomever you please as it satisfies your vision of him as your personal healer.this is a man who personally and repeatedly told me over a number of years that he was not a PSYCHIATRIST and was quite infuriated with the title.he must need money at this point as his list of "specialities" has fanned out quite broadly and now he is a specialist of all sorts of disorders for any and all ages.his rent must be quite high, and he loves fine wines.thanks to my own tenacity i am lucky to be alive. not due to dr. magic.

May 6th, 2011
dangerous doctor
francis mas without ever using talk therapy enforced 12 ects followed by time in a psych ward. francis mas never once visited. francis mas hung me out to dry. francis mas stole my life. francis mas should disappear.francis mas knows who this is.

February 19th, 2011
Dr. Mas Recommendation
I have been seeing Dr. Mas for about 5 years now. He has such a wonderful grip on bipolar medication and keeps abreast of the latest info on the disorder. He is kind, yet firm. When I am in his office I feel thoroughly taken care of and listened to. He explains things until he is sure he is understood. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Mas. His treatment has quite literally changed, and saved, my life.