Surgical Specialist, Urologists
2600 Glasgow Ave
Ste 200
Newark, DE 19702
302-836-5500
Locations and availability (3)

3.0

|  patients beware!  |  show details
Mar 4th, 2014

I hate this doctor & his staff. One example - I have been dealing with the same urinary tract infection for the past 2 months and they have done nothing except switch antibiotics back & fourth knowing they aren't working! I've been on 1 antibiotic 2x and another 3x for the same infection! If it didn't work the first time why would it work the second! Unfortunately its hard to find another urologist because of my insurance but I will find someone else other then him if it means I have to drive 100 miles. Dr Schanne is horrible, disgusting bedside manner & his staff are all extremely rude! I can never get an appointment when I need one. They're constantly trying to send me for testing instead of seeing me in the office. When I had no choice but to bring my 2 small kids (4 & 5) into the office with me for a visit, dr Schanne was extremely mad. My kiss sat Ina chair the entire visit and played games on my phone, they didn't make one sound but he was extremely rude about them being there!

|  Awesome Doctor  |  show details
by Joseph g. weaver jr. on Nov 3rd, 2013

I went to this Doctor and he knew right away what was the problem, the problem now is ,I do not think he likes me any more. I missed a few appointments due to other issues, marriage, pneumonia, and just sick, however, I was getting my medicine and now all symptoms have returned, low libido, low energy, hot flashes at an increasingly alarming rate. I need my doctor back!...please doctor, if you are reading this, please take me back as a patient...I feel like crap...thanks....Joseph g. weaver jr. 302-276-0238

|  Unsettling  |  show details
Apr 20th, 2012

When I went to see Dr. Schanne he took a look at my Cat Scan and Ultrasound results and immediately diagnosed the growth on my kidney as cancer. After consulting several other surgeons, they all felt that this was a premature diagnosis especially since no biopsy was ever done. On top of that, he claimed that the cancer was 85% maligant (again, with no confirming biopsy). Needless to say if this diagnosis is accurate then I wanted the tumor removed as fast as possible but instead I got put into his normal surgery rotation and (after waiting for nearly 10 days for his scheduling nurse to get in touch with me - horrible wait) I was then scheduled for surgery nearly two and a half months out! A rediculous amount of time to wait especially if I have a malignant cancer on one of the most vital organs of my body. Needless to say I went looking for a second opinion and got in to see a doctor within a week and now have my surgery scheduled within a month. Now that's more like it.

|  Dr Schanne used da Vinci Surgical System for my Kidney Cancer - Success!  |  show details
May 26th, 2011

Dr Schanne used da Vinci Surgical System for my Kidney Cancer - Success!I am a white male 47 yrs old. In January 2010, my primary care Dr. told me to get an ultrasound to see if my liver was OK because I had a high level of liver enzymes in my blood work. So, I went on January 15th and had the test done. The good news is that my liver is 100% fine. However, the results came back that I had a left renal mass. It measure 1.9 by 2.2 by 2.1 centimeters along the mid pole of the left kidney. It said that a renal cell carcinoma would need to be excluded therefore a surgical referral to Urology was recommended. It was not until the month of June that I had a discussion with my Primary care doc about the test results. The reason for the delay is that I did not take the results seriously because my liver was fine and I did not want more tests. However my primary insisted that this is serious and told me to call for the 1st available appt with the Urologic Surgical Associates of Delaware. My primary recommended this group because they are considered Top Docs and also perform the Robotic surgery. My Uncle is the Chief of Surgery, at Christiana hospital, & also recommended this group. Once I called, the office staff set me up with the first available appointment with Dr Schanne July 8th. That morning, my wife and I only had to wait in the waiting room for appox 15 minutes which gave us time to read the Top Docs magazine. Once we were brought back to the exam room, we met Dr Schanne, and he reviewed the ultrasound with us. He pointed out the mass on the Kidney and stated that we would not know if it was cancerous until after the surgery. He also was not sure whether or not he had to take out the entire kidney of just partial. Because I wanted to be operated on at Christiana, I waited until August 19th which was just fine because I still wanted to enjoy most of my summer on our boat. So, on Thursday Aug 19th, we arrived at the hospital at 6:00am. Surgery was performed at approximately 8:00am and it lasted about 4 hours. Dr Schanne performed a partial nephrectomy using the Da Vinci Robotic machine. Robotic partial nephrectomy is a pure laparoscopic (only 5-6 keyhole ports) surgery using a robotic surgical platform (the da Vinci robot from Intuitive Surgical) to perform partial nephrectomy. The highly magnified, binocular vision system and the highly dexterous instrumentation allow the surgeon to achieve complete vascular control and excellent reconstructive results without the need for an incision. Using this surgical system the major blood vessels can be temporarily clamped, the tumor excised and the kidney sewn back together with minimal blood loss. The end result is an excellent cancer cure with a much easier recovery for me and virtually no loss of renal function. Afterwards, Dr. Schanne called for my wife and he calmly reassured her that the surgery went extremely well and that the mass was relatively small and that he was able to remove all of it. My Kidneys are still intact and both are functioning. He told her that he would be sending the specimen to the lab for the results but not to worry. I was put into a recovery room which lasted another couple of hours until I woke up from the anesthesia. The anesthesia doctor is also 5 stars! As they were bringing me up to my room, I saw my wife & daughter and they met me there. By Thursday afternoon, I was able to communicate on my Blackberry and answering work related emails. At midnight on Thursday night, it was time to take out the catheter. They gave me some medicine at that time and also at 3:00am. By Friday morning, I was off all medicine and going to the bathroom on my own. Then, they had me walking around the nurses station by late morning. Early Friday afternoon, I asked what it would take for me to be allowed to go home. The nurses said that I needed be off of all IV medicine (which I already was) as well as have a bowel movement. By 2pm, this too took place and all I needed after that was a Doctors signature. Throughout the day, I continued to work through my blackberry while I waited for the Drs response. By 3pm, we received the clearance to go home and we were out of the hospital by 4pm. The fact that I could leave the hospital 1 day after surgery I found to be truly amazing. Friday night I watched TV and only needed to take 1 vicodin. Now comes the rough part and what I felt was the most painful part of the process. During the weekend, my body was still adjusting to coming off of the Anesthesia. I had terrible gas cramps in my stomach for the next 2 days. The only way to deal with them was to stay in bed and lay on my side. I did not sleep at all on Friday night and not much on Saturday night. By Sunday, I was feeling much better and was able to come downstairs to watch TV. By Monday, I was back to work 100%! My follow up appointment with Dr Schanne was 1 month afterwards. It was very brief and full of good news. It is recommended that I have a Cat Scan every 6 months for 2 years and then each year after that. That way, if there is a reoccurrence, it will be caught rather quickly. Last December, my wife and I had a great time at a medical fair at the Christiana mall where Dr Schanne allowed me to operate the Robot. If you ever get the opportunity to do this, I would suggest you go for it.Today, I am healthy and living life to the fullest. I enjoy officiating competitive (travel) and high school soccer as well as enjoying our boat during the summer. I have recommended Dr Schanne and his staff to all of my friends and family and to this day cannot believe what a nice experience this entire process was. The recovery time is truly amazing and I would be happy to share my experience with any future patients who would like to give me a call. I have never felt the need to worry about anything because I have always felt that I was in good hands! Thank you Dr Schanne!Sincerely, Ed Rozanski

May 13th, 2011

With the use of Robotic surgery, Dr Schanne removed my prostate due to cancer. All of the office visits before the surgery and after, Dr Schanne was very professional and took time to answer all of my questions. The surgery was a breeze. I was quite apprhensive at first, but all went well. I did not have any pain after surgery. The Dr did give me pain meds, but I only took for two days for the discomfort of the catheter.

Dec 14th, 2010

Schanne was a smart a$$ to me when I asked a question during my office visit. I was in so much pain, I just let it slide and didnt say anything. Then I had to wait almost 2 weeks before anyone there would tell me my cat scan results and that was after calling them 4 times.

|  Excellent care  |  show details
Jul 6th, 2009

Dr. Schanne spent time to answer all of my questions and provide me with all of my treatment options. I really had a terrific experience with all of his staff. I would highly recommend him.

Dec 26th, 2008

This physician is more interested in his professional status than his patients. He has shown to have an anger problem when a patient does not have a normal recovery. He is not responsible for his professionally rude actions.