Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Apr 9th, 2016

Very meticulous, caring surgeon.

Something's Not Quite Right show details Something's Not Quite Right
Mar 26th, 2016

At first, I was very impressed with Dr. Henderson, he seemed like a doctor that genuinely wanted to help his patients and I had heard wonderful things about him. At first, the imaging that I brought to him did not reveal much about my issues but later on, new imaging revealed an instability and due to the severe amount of pain and trouble functioning, he said he would proceed with the stabilization surgery when I could schedule it. At my next visit, I also brought with him other films later, that showed crowding around the cerebellar tonsils. A family member was present at that visit and to both of us, he stated that he would take care of that as well by preforming a decompression when he went in to do the C1/C2, although I did notice that he did not put it in his dictation. Thought it was odd but I brushed it off thinking that I was just being paranoid. I got all of my paperwork in the mail and went and got my post op physical, labs, and other testing. I'd packed up my apartment and moved all of my stuff home to my parents because I knew I couldn't afford the rent while I was out of work. My surgery was less than a week away. My parents even took off work for two weeks. I took a closer work at my surgical paperwork and I found that only the C1C2 stabilization was scheduled. When I called asking about the decompression, the office became very annoyed with me. Told me if he felt like I needed it he would do it. I'm about to have this very serious surgery and I'm being treated as if I'm just coming in for some botox or something. I needed to be prepared for what surgeries I was getting to be sure that I had told my new job the appropriate amount of time I had to delay my starting date and to know financially how to plan. Later, they called me back and told me Dr. Henderson never spoke of the decompression surgery with me and my family. That I must be mistaken. She also stated that all he dictated on the last visit was that on my flexion extension MRI that there was obvious C1C2 instability. Strange I said...It was the traditional lay down MRI that showed the instability...not the stand up, I said. We had talked about so much more on that visit. Then she became annoyed and said, "Are you saying Dr. Henderson is lying?" I said, "Not sure what you want to call it. Maybe he has me mixed up with another patient." Then she became even more and more angry. She hung up. A couple emails were exchanged where I expressed how upset I was at the way they were being so nonchalant about such a serious surgery. Next thing you know. I get a call saying that Dr. Henderson thinks I'm too mentally unstable to undergo surgery and they are canceling my surgery. I was completely blown away. Meanwhile I've altered my whole life for this surgery. I work in the mental health field, so I know what they did is wrong. No type of mental fitness to undergo major surgery was done. In addition, even if I was a little kooky, that's not really a good reason to deny someone a surgery that they really need. Finally, after a great deal of calling, they had me to see him and he changed his entire story. He stated that the reason he cancelled my surgery wasn't that but that he reviewed my films and he was wrong. I don't need surgery. Thinks maybe I have TMJ or something else causing my pain. Um...I had TMJ surgery years ago and I know what it feels like and its not that. Well maybe acupuncture would work? Um the reason I came to you was because I tried all of that. He basically was making up a bunch of stuff because he just didn't want to do surgery on me. Then he put the same films he showed me there was a problem on up on the wall and pointed to them and said see, there's nothing there. There's nothing wrong. It was the creepiest, most awful feeling to be in the office with someone like Dr. Henderson and to know that they are standing there and that they are lying straight to your face. Then after making me pay cash for all of the prior visits, he stated that this one was "on the house" and that he would be billing my insurance company. Of course you know why...he needed a paper trail to show he had me in to discuss this and say I'm find after he wrote a letter of medical necessity to my insurance saying I absolutely had to have the surgery. So beware. He's helped a lot of people. I don't deny that and I'm sure he's an amazing surgeon but he will stop at nothing to cover things up if he does something unethical.

Disappointed show details Disappointed
by L on Mar 18th, 2016

Every time I have seen dr Henderson I've waited up to 2hrs before being seen and he constantly confuses me for other patients. The only thing he has done for me over 5 years of visits is send me for more tests and then not have follow ups.

by Jen on Jul 14th, 2015

This Dr is wonderful. He has saved my life & will probably do it again. 💜

Excellent Doctor and all around great person! show details Excellent Doctor and all around great person!
Mar 12th, 2015

I travel 11 hours to see him and he is the only person I trust with my brain and spine!

Highy Skilled, essential for rare patients show details Highy Skilled, essential for rare patients
Feb 17th, 2015

I have had two procedures with Dr H. I would not trust anyone else without his experience, skill and understanding of connective tissue disorders with my brain or spine. He is overbooked and his office is difficult to deal with at times. He runs late because he spends as much time as possible with his patients and tries to see as many as humanly possible. IMO he is worth the inconvenience of traveling and long appointments. He is brilliant and caring but is only a man doing his best. I love that he prays with me before entering the OR.

The Wizard show details The Wizard
Dec 18th, 2013

He makes patients sign "gag orders" before he'll take you on as a patient. He likes to parade around his attractive teenage patients as examples of how wonderful a surgeon, but if you have complications, your phone calls will go unreturned. He only mentions his successful cases, He doesn't warn you that his surgery can make you worse than you ever were before. His office doesn't give good post op instructions and leaves you to fend for yourself. He comes across as the wonderful wizard of spinal fusions but "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." All that glitters is not gold.

Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Abhorrent staff and policies show details Abhorrent staff and policies
May 18th, 2013

His staff is the most unprofessional I have ever encountered. Wait times can exceed two hours. Lost files, lost lab results, failure to return urgent phone calls. I find it hard to believe he is unaware of these problems. Make sure you read the privacy policy carefully, it is not like any other doctor's, and ask yourself--why is it necessary to threaten prospective patients with legal action? What is being hidden?

Mark as Helpful  | 14 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Trust and Knowledge show details Trust and Knowledge
Jul 10th, 2012

I have been sick since 2006 when I was first dx'd with Chiari Malformations and went from Doctor to Doctor with no one believing or understanding what I was telling them. Some said it looked like I had suffered several mini strokes, depression, drug seeker. I am telling you that I probably had seen 8 Neurologists/Neurosurgeons up to this year 2012. I found Dr. Henderson through some friends and made an appointment. I almost backed out because I did not want to waste the money and time going 9 hours away. I went and was pleasantly surprised with the office staff and 100% comfortable with Dr. Henderson himself. He spent right at 3 hours talking to my husband and myself and from that visit I knew he was the one.He operated on me May 3rd 2012 and I am still recuperating and some days are pretty bad, but he gave me hope. He was surprised that I was able to walk with the critically compressed brainstem. He told my husband that I probably would have died the next week. I highly recommend those of you in search for a great surgeon that will take his time, answer all your questions to where you understand fully what is going on with your body and your illnesses. Please folks, if you are in need this Doctor is the one.

Feb 8th, 2012

Dr Henderson may seem "quirky" but he is warm and caring and competent. He's willing to take risks to help patients when other surgeons duck and run. He is experienced and credentialed and within the past few years, the EDS community has been very blessed to have him as a resource and an advocate.

Beware! show details Beware!
Nov 11th, 2011

He Is a very dangerous doctor. He lied on my surgical report about what he did, is extremly rude to women,plays head games and makes medical diagnosis to quickly with out paying attention to MRI or your history. Everything is an emergancy and he makes it seem like he is the only person that can help you. He is a quack. BEWARE!

Mark as Helpful  | 14 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Harriette Powell show details Harriette Powell
Apr 13th, 2011

Dr. Henderson removed a Tarlov cyst from my spine. He did an outstanding job on my spined. I would recommed him to anyone and would certainly use his skills again should I need surgery.

Great Doctor and Very Caring Human Beingb show details Great Doctor and Very Caring Human Beingb
Feb 22nd, 2011

Dr. Henderson successfully accomplished my surgery on a relatively rare brain malformation when another neurosurgeon said it was "too risky". He makes himself available to answer all your questions and put your mind at ease. He was very accommodating to my claustrophia during the surgery...I would highly recommend him.

quirky but competent show details quirky but competent
Sep 21st, 2010

a bit eccentric, but thorough, competent and caring. follows up and listens to your complaints. leaves no stone unturned.

Top notch Dr. Top notch caring human being show details Top notch Dr. Top notch caring human being
by Elizabeth from Delaware on Mar 16th, 2010

Dr. Henderson has been one of two Dr's that have taken on my sons condition and given him some hope for a normal productive life ahead. God bless him and his healing heart and hands. Delaware!

The Doctor is in! show details The Doctor is in!
by Charlotte T. on Feb 9th, 2010

Dr. Henderson is a true Gentleman. I came to his office on a last chance try for help. I was welcomed with open arms and it has remained that way. He is a professional that believes that not one patient needs to be left alone untreated. I have insurance problems and he has done everything but stand on his head to help me work it out. He most definitely does not need the money he does it out of empathy and a need to discover more about the condition I have. A true hero.

by GREATFUL PATIENT on Jul 8th, 2009

Dr Henderson really cares about his opatients. He took a lot of time to get the full history and then performed a detailed neurological exam. He is very knowledgeable. I felt that I could trust him completely.

Dr.Henderson is a top doctor show details Dr.Henderson is a top doctor
Apr 22nd, 2009