Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon
2902 McFarland Rd
Ste 300
Rockford, IL 61107
815-316-2100
Locations and availability (3)

|  L4-L5  |  show details
by Scott Zimmerman on Aug 12th, 2014

Dr. Sweet gets right to point and does a great job.

|  Spine surgery  |  show details
by Michael Burlington on Jul 22nd, 2014

The Dr. was very professional. He made me feel at ease right before the surgery by praying for me. The surgery was a huge success. The pain is gone and I can enjoy life again.

|  Spinal fusion  |  show details
by Mark Svoboda on May 23rd, 2014

This was a great experiance and has seemed to correct the pain in my rear and leg, time will tell. I would and have definately reqommended Dr. Sweet to other people on pain issues. Thanks to all

|  Thanks Dr.Sweet  |  show details
by Ellie Etminan on Apr 14th, 2014

Almost six weeks ago I had fusion of L5 and I was walking for 45 minutes yesterday. Dr. Sweet was right on diagnosis and with his experience the surgery went as expected. Recovery was painful but not unbearable. I am thankful to Dr. Sweet in every pain free steps I am taking.

|  Awesome Surgeon  |  show details
by Roxane LeDoux on Mar 26th, 2014

Dr Sweet is an awesome Surgeon and great Doctor. He explained everything in detail to me and answered all my questions until I was confident of having the surgery. I feel good after 6 weeks and am thankful my primary doctor sent me to Rockford Spine Center. I am also grateful that Dr Sweet was the doctor I was given when I called for an appointment. Lucky me! I recommend Dr Sweet to anyone who needs spine surgery.

|  Patient  |  show details
by Luka Biljeskovic on Mar 20th, 2014

More than a year I am fighting with WC to resolve the issue with my back injury. I did not think that things will get better. Thank God I have privilage and honor to have Dr. sweet as my doctor. No words can describe how thankful I am for everything Dr. Sweet has done for me. I am recommending everyone to Dr. Sweet. Him and his staff is very caring and professional.

|  SURGERY REVIEW  |  show details
by MARY V. on Mar 14th, 2014

HAD RECENT SPINAL FUSION SURGERY BY DR. SWEET AND IT WAS A SUCCESS.

|  OUTSTANDING!  |  show details
by Jen L. on Jan 29th, 2014

I can hardly put into words, my whole experience was great. From Dr, Sweet to his staff. Very kind and caring. If I ever have a problem again I would use Rockford Spine Center. Back problems I had over a decade are now gone in one simple surgery! Thank you for giving me my life back!!

by Bobbette Shoemaker on Jan 23rd, 2014

It's not easy to be told that your 14 yr old daughter needs a major spinal fusion but without Dr. Sweet putting us at ease and assuring that she would be fine it would of been much more difficult emotionally. He took the time to answer any questions and I didn't feel rushed like we were just a number. Right before surgery he melted my heart when he held her hand and said a prayer. After surgery the nurses commented that not many children do this well with this type of surgery....I give the thanks to Dr. Sweet for such a fine job. Now 6 weeks later you would of never thought she even had surgery. Thank you Dr. Sweet for taking such good care of my baby girl!

by Judith A. Zimmerman on Jan 10th, 2014

I cannot thank Dr. Sweet enough for his professionalism and expertise. He put me at ease and answered all of my questions. He made me feel like I was his only patient, providing all the time needed to answer my questions and explain the procedure. He prepared me for my surgery both mentally and physically. His operating skills and bedside manor are exemplary. Immediately upon awakening from surgery in the recovery room the back pain I had suffered from for months was gone. I couldn't believe it. I cannot recommend him enough.

by Dawn O. on Jan 1st, 2014

I would highly recommend Dr. Sweet to anyone in need of consultation or surgery for a spinal issue. I have very severe spinal stenosis and had exhausted all other options other than surgery. Dr. Sweet was very conservative in his approach, not recommending surgery a year ago when I first saw him. When I saw him this fall for an annual review and he found that I had recently fallen, he recommended that it was time to do a laminoplasty on C3-C7 to stem any further deterioration due to pressure on my spinal cord. Surgery went well, he was spot on with his diagnosis. He was always very professional but approachable; always taking time to answer questions and discuss my concerns. As a Christian, I was very thankful that he offered to pray with me and my family prior to surgery. I would recommend him to anyone that has back issues.

by Juan F Aguirre on Dec 30th, 2013

No more lower back pain after the surgery!!

|  Farmer  |  show details
by Don Brown, Jr. on Dec 22nd, 2013

Dr. Sweet handled my case with concerned interest & speed. He saw my records & the pain I was in & he told me he could help me. Surgery was handled within 5 days. Everything he said would happen, happened. Dr. Sweet showed genuine concern & compassion for my pain & future recovery. I would highly recommend Dr. Sweet for back surgery any day! By 4 weeks into my recovery I wanted to be active at my job, but I waited for 6 weeks & Dr. Sweet's approval. Dr. Sweet is an excellent Doctor. I give him 5 stars!

|  Spinal fusion  |  show details
by Jada Jenkins on Dec 14th, 2013

Dr. Sweet is an incredible person all around. He is also an amazing surgeon, I had really bad back pain caused by my degenerative disk disease and now almost two months post op I feel fantastic.

|  Mrs  |  show details
by Karla Williams on Nov 11th, 2013

I truly felt at ease with Dr. Sweet, he went over everything before my back surgery and again after. I was really impressed when he asked if he could say a short prayer with my husband and I before I was taken to the operating room. That gave me a great deal of confidence in him. I also am amazed at how good I feel. He did at awesome job. I truly can thank God and Dr. Sweet. I am blessed.

by Betty on Aug 9th, 2013

I had my second back surgery with Dr. Fred Sweet on June 25, 2013. I had been in pain 24 hours a day for months. Dr. Sweet removed the synovial cyst from my spine and the pain improved right after surgery. He has ordered some aqua therapy which will help improve mobility. Both doctor and staff are easy to understand and feel comfortable with. certainly would advise friends to choose Dr. Sweet for back problems.

|  great doctor..great staff  |  show details
by vincent stalsis on Aug 8th, 2013

highly recommend this doctor and his staff..I am 77 years old with stenosis. I had unsucessful surgery with another doctor 10 months ago and also pain block shots that helped just a little for a short time. I had severe pain walking just 1/2 block and standing in shower. I was very impressed when doctor sweet had a prayer before my disc fusion surgery in june. 4 days after my surgery I was able to walk a mile with very little discomfort. I was released 6 weeks later with very few restrictions and I feel like I have a new lease on life. God bless doctor sweet

|  Auker's Laminectomy Surgery Review  |  show details
by Randall Auker on Aug 7th, 2013

My most memorable experience: Dr. Sweet gave me realistic expectations for my surgery results that were spot on. He said he would eliminate my leg pain and he did. Results were immediate. He had told me earlier that he wouldn't be able to eliminate all back pain going forward - very honest and again "realistic." His diagnoses was accurate. I was impressed that he prayed to God for help and a successful conclusion. I found him to be very humble. His communication skills were excellent, yet I felt I could ask any questions without time limitations. He and his staff were always very professional. I always felt very comfortable before and after surgery. I would recommend him and his staff to anyone without worrying they would be disappointed. Randy Auker 8-7-2013

|  Back fusion  |  show details
Aug 6th, 2013

Before the surgery I could not stand long enough without pain to take a shower. I tried steroid shots and ablation before deciding on the surgery. My pain in hips and legs was gone after the surgery and 7 weeks out I am very happy with my choice. Would and have recommended Dr. Sweet to friends that are having back problems. I never want another surgery because no surgery is fun to recover from but the long term outcome is worth it.

Aug 6th, 2013

My level of confidence in Dr. Sweet was the primary reason I selected him for my medical/surgical issues. Dr. Sweet had performed successful spinal surgery in the past on my mother and sister. I am five weeks post surgery for a fusion of the L3-L5 and I appear to be on track with my outcomes.

|  Excellent Doc  |  show details
by Tom McIntyre on Jul 24th, 2013

Dr. Sweet always answered my questions directly and in a straight forward and believable manner. His manifest confidence in his ability to solve my problem with severe back pain for over a year gave me the courage to go ahead with the surgery. His professionalism was always reassuring to me and enabled me to undergo surgery with confidence in the positive results to follow. I would readily recommend him to anyone suffering severe back pain.

Jul 8th, 2013

In all my dealings with Doctor Sweet and his staff, I found them to be friendly , courteous and professional .They were helpful, and prompt to answer any questions I might have, both in person and by phone . The surgery was explained to me completely , and the results have been better than I had hoped for in resolving my back and leg problems . I would not hesitate - and actually already have - recommending Doctor Sweet to friends and family I think could benefit from his services .

Jul 8th, 2013

Great experience.

|  Experience with Dr. Sweet  |  show details
by Joanne Veruchi on Jul 8th, 2013

I was very impressed on my initial visit, Dr. Sweet spent an hour with us going over his diagnosis and the different options that were available to me. After the decision was made to have surgery he was very detailed in his description of what would take place. The day of surgery he came in to see me before hand and prayed with me and my family. This was very comforting! After I was sent home I did have a couple concerns and when I called his nurse she was very quick to return my calls and answer my questions. I just had my follow up visit and was pleased that the surgery was a success. The questions I had were answered and I am very thankful that Dr. Sweet is my doctor.

|  Rate my surgeon  |  show details
by Terry A. Wolff on Jun 17th, 2013

Excellent surgeon, no nonsense, but compassionate.

|  patient  |  show details
by Lynda Smith on Jun 14th, 2013

I was very impressed and comforted by Dr Sweet's expression of his faith in God. He explained what was needed and why. He took time to hear and answer questions. He recorded things immediately into my record. His nurse Camille always seemed available when I called which was often. I know the doctor can't be there every day but I was having a hard time on the weekend and I wish it had been him that I saw. I would choose him again.

|  three sugeries one unexpected  |  show details
by john weir on May 25th, 2013

excellent doctor!! no other words to say it. Doc fused 5 and 4 lumbar completely took care of all bad symptoms second surgery started but seconds before he was to operate he stopped and backed out things weren't right . Doc referred me to a cardiologist where they found 80% blockage on my heart , installed a stent ,month later Dr. Sweet completed my second surgery fusing 3 lumbar to 4 and 5 . All is well. Thankyou Dr. Sweet , fixed my heart and my back. Back on golf course soon.

by Martin Edeus on Apr 28th, 2013

I was suffering from numness in my hands and arms. Dr. Sweet was great. Told me what was wrong and did surgery right away when I woke up all my symthems were gone.He did a super job, I was very pleased!

Apr 27th, 2013

Thank you SO much!!

|  EMT, Cert. Yoga Instructor  |  show details
by Traci C on Apr 15th, 2013

I suffered with leg pain for almost 4 months before my journey began. Like most working moms/women, I thought I just pulled a muscle and gave it some time to heal. Well Dec 31,2012 I was in so much pain the finally did an MRI, Dx herniated L4-5 and L5-S6. What, how, no way!!! No major traumas, no family hx, it was just my luck. I followed insurance protocol of steroid injections, I had 3, and pretty much 'bed rest' for a lack of a better word. Well Feb 21st I couldn't take it any longer, pain progressively got worse, injections DID NOT work. I could not walk(for very long), stand, sleep, sit, I was twitching, throwing up, crying from the pain it was unbearable. I let my years of being in the medical field take over...I started researching. Lots of researching! After three day later decided on Dr Sweet. From the initial phone call I knew I picked the right place. I was a Dr assistant/receptionist for 10years and you can tell a lot by the front desk. I called on february 22(?) got an appt for February 27. Wait was less than 10minutes, Dr Sweet did an exam, scheduled a discectomy for the following day February 28. He explained, that for me the is no explanation of why, when or how long I've had it, and my body has been compensating, but I needed to get it fixed. When he told me I'd be pain free right after surgery I cried, even more than I was! To say I was 100% pain free would be misleading you. When his nursed called the following day she said it's normal to have some residual pain as the nerve only heals @ 1/2inch a week. Good to know, since I had pain from my right gluteal to just above my right ankle. I was an excellent pt. I was fortunate enough to have my mom, yes even at 42, to come take care of me for the three first days, and then my husband and son took over, and they were all awesome at making sure I didn't twist, reach, bend, etc.....Well I had my follow up today, 6 weeks out, and got a full release, YEAH!!!! I am now able to sit, drive my self, sleep, everything I took for granted before. I am thankful I found Dr Sweet. Do your research, follow his orders, know some pain after surgery is normal. Take your time, and know that you can resume the life you had pre herniated disc. I am so happy to say I am returning to my studio tonight to teach my first class since February 2013!! I will continue, for some time, to be very body conscious, the movements I make and I will listen to my body!! Everyone will have their own journey to healing and recovery, this is my story, and I'm happy & back healthy again. Namaste

|  How do you praise someone who gives you your life back?  |  show details
by Cynthia West on Mar 7th, 2013

Last year around May my right foot kept going numb & I had shooting pains down my leg & lower back pain & couldn't sit,or walk much or socialize because of it. My grandchildren couldn't understand why I couldn't play with them. I was in the house most of the year because of this! I finally went to my doctor who referred me to Dr. Sweet. He looked at my results from the MRI and knew exactly what was wrong!! He prepared me for surgery, which I was scared of, and was very confident with the process before and after!! Recovery is a long process & he really knows how to guide you through it! He is a great teacher to others! I would recommend him to anyone who has spine issues! I felt very cared for!!!

|  Finally getting my Life back!!!  |  show details
by Sandra F on Jan 30th, 2013

After a back injury at work almost 2 years ago and being told by the company doctor basically it was nothing. I was recommended by my son. To see Dr. Sweet it was best thing that happen to me. Dr Sweet and his staff did test , and MRI and they found the problem on Nov 29,2012 I had a Spinal Fusion , I have not felt this

Nov 30th, 2012

Being sent to Dr Sweet and his staff was a real blessing for me. He was able to fix my back, removing my pain..giving me quailty of life. Dr Sweet, upon meeting me also identified a problem I had and was unaware of, he repaired a problem in my neck also adding to my quality of life. The caring of the staff of RSC put me at ease. Dr Sweet praying with us before each surgery also increased our confidence of a good out come. Thank you. I am a 72 year old woman who wants to do a lot more living, and you have made it possible.

Nov 30th, 2012

Nov 28th, 2012

very pleased with all the staff and the level of care! the surgery went very well. thank you!

Nov 28th, 2012

Nov 21st, 2012

Thankful for all the care he has given to me to help me get back on my feet.

Nov 21st, 2012

Thankful for all the care he has given to me to help me get back on my feet.

|  Kind and helpful physician!  |  show details
Nov 14th, 2012

I feel that the two spinal surgeries I have had with Dr. Sweet have been totally successful. Any problems were addressed quickly and professionally, although there were very few. The staff are wonderful. I have recommended Dr. Sweet and the Rockford Spine Center to a number of people and came here myself via referral. I've never felt more secure with a group of physicians, and believe their expertise rates at the top of the charts!

|  Kind and helpful physician!  |  show details
Nov 14th, 2012

Oct 31st, 2012

very good doctor. Very caring, professional. Takes time to listen to you and explain things to you. Will recommend to everyone.

Oct 31st, 2012

Oct 17th, 2012

Feel blessed to have been flown to Rockford after my accident and introduced to Dr. Sweet. God was hangin out on my side when He put me in your team's hands :)Thank you All. Much Love-Christina Boland

Oct 12th, 2012

Saved me from a life of pain!

Oct 10th, 2012

So far, this has been a positive experience. Great doctor!

Oct 10th, 2012

So far, this has been a positive experience. Great doctor!

|  Back Surgery  |  show details
Oct 10th, 2012

Dr. Sweet was my answer to a prayer. I have been dealing with various degrees of pain and discomfort for 50 yrs. What a relief to have that behind me! Dr Sweet's professionalism and competence during my entire experience was beyond my expectations. Literally, this has changed my life.

Oct 1st, 2012

I have been in severe pain for the past several years. i went to see Dr. Sweetand he nailed wha was wrong. I had surgery aug. 21,2012. now 6 weeks later I am pain free! god has truly given me a gitf. Dr. Sweeet is a blessing!

Sep 25th, 2012

The only area of improvement I noted was my visits with Dr Sweet were extremely fast. He is in and out of the exam room so fast he left my head spinning. I personally needed more time to think about what was being said. I may have had more questions about my condition.

|  Great facility  |  show details
Sep 24th, 2012

I would recommend Dr. Sweet to anyone I know without any reservations. All of the staff was excellent. Thank You Dr. Sweet I am now Pain free.

Sep 17th, 2012

Everyone here is great, the office staff was wonderful and Dr. Sweet was exceptionally great and he listened when no one else would.

|  Very Impressive  |  show details
Sep 12th, 2012

Every experience here has been excellent. The professionalism has been outstanding.

Aug 29th, 2012

i like the way before surgury, he prayed with me.

|  Dr. Fred Sweet & Rockford Spine Center are a Blessing!  |  show details
Aug 20th, 2012

My daughter, Julia, has been treated by Dr. Sweet for her Scoliosis since she was 8 years old. He recently performed a Thoracic Spinal Fusion to correct her Scoliosis & we couldn't be more pleased with the results! Our ENTIRE experience with Dr. Sweet & his staff at Rockford Spine Center has been wonderful. The treatment Julia received has been exceptional & we are very grateful!

Aug 8th, 2012

Thankful that there is people that can perform these types of surgerys.

|  Good experience  |  show details
Aug 8th, 2012

I of pain. The surgery wasn't exactly a walk in the park, but it wasn't as bad as I was afraid and the pain is gone!Thanks, Dr. Sweet.

|  excellent diagnosis neck injury  |  show details
Aug 1st, 2012

Excellent diagnosis great bedside manner would prefer anyone and everyone with neck and back injury.

Aug 1st, 2012

Great Dr....I would reccommend him to anyone with spine issues!!!!!!!very caring and easy to talk to.

|  Support staff  |  show details
Jul 25th, 2012

Dr. Sweet has a great support staff and an excellent PA.

Jul 18th, 2012

After trying several other options, Dr. Sweet was able to fix with surgery and now I feel great. Cannot thank Dr. Sweet enough for what he was able to give me back. Thanks a bunch!

Jul 18th, 2012

Dr.Sweet and his staff are wonderful

Jun 22nd, 2012

the surgery went well, but thought I had some metal in my back but found out today that i don't.

|  An excellent doctor  |  show details
Jun 22nd, 2012

Dr. Sweet knows his stuff and has an excellent bedside manner. I would not hesitate recommending him to anyone who is suffering from a similar situation.

Jun 20th, 2012

Great staff. Very proffessional and knowledgable in all regards. Easily the best medical experience I've ever had and would suggest to anyone. My only complaint is that it took me so long to get refered here, and thats not even their fault!

Jun 20th, 2012

thank you nurses and eveyone very nice and helpful Doctor great

Apr 23rd, 2012

I recommend Dr. Fred Sweet to anyone that has back pain/issue. He is very intelligent in what he does. He knew exactly the problem that I was going through. Now, 6 weeks post op from a L5-S1 spinal fusion I feel great! I'm truly blessed that he did my surgery and will continue to recommend him to anyone!

Apr 18th, 2012

Great staff and fantastic doctor. I could not ask for anything more. I recommend the spine center to everyone I talk to that has a back problem....Kaye Gambrel

Apr 18th, 2012

|  Dr Sweet  |  show details
Apr 11th, 2012

He really helped with all I was going through, he was the only one out of 4 different Dr,s to corretly diagnose the swelling in my side. Couldn't be happier with the result of my surgery.....Thank you so much from me and my family. Scott Swinford

Apr 11th, 2012

Very happy with staff and drs.

|  FAIL  |  show details
Apr 6th, 2012

I was referred to Dr. Sweet for a surgical consult. Without ever seeing me and doing an exam I was deemed not a surigcal canidate. When really I was denied care because I am on a work comp case. I went to another surgeon and was diagnosed with 2 annular tears and and I am now waiting to receive a double fusion. So thank you for absolutely nothing. I would not or will never recomend Dr. Sweet to anyone.

|  A very big thank you to Dr. Sweet and his staff  |  show details
Apr 4th, 2012

I will be forever grateful to Dr. Sweet for performing the surgery, answering my questions and he also has an excellent bedside manner. I would also like to thank his assistant, Sean. He was very helpful while in the hospital and has a great bedside manner also. I find his staff to be very professional and helpful also. Thank you all so much.

Mar 14th, 2012

Dr. Sweet has helped my physical health enormously. I now stand straight and am almost pain-free. I would recommend Dr. Sweet & his staff to anyone with spine problems.

|  Excellent results  |  show details
by Steven Vecchio on Dec 21st, 2011

I could not be more pleased with the professionalism, knowledge, care and results.

|  Excellent care  |  show details
by Erica Pierre on Dec 21st, 2011

Our family is so grateful for Dr Sweet. He is a blessing to our family and others like ours. I pray that Dr Sweet will continue his work for many years to come. You made us feel very at ease with the whole process from our daughter's diagnosis to her surgery and every appointment after.

|  very impressed  |  show details
Dec 21st, 2011

My entire experience here was absolutely extrodinary. From the profesionalism from top to bottom to the amazing skill and technology combined my experience was a real pleasure. Also when Dr. Sweet prayed with me before surgery was an unexpected pleasure to see. I really appreciate that.

Dec 21st, 2011

I do not live in Rockford, but it is well worth the drive to know that my problem will be solved professionally and with care.I have recommended Dr. Sweet to anyone I know who has back problems because I know they will be well served to come here.

Dec 19th, 2011

I feel my experience has been really good!

|  Excellent results  |  show details
Nov 2nd, 2011

Back pain is gone and my life had returned to normal. The surgery and post op time were uneventful and very pleased with the results.

Sep 28th, 2011

Awesome job Doc. Very impressed with the whole process. Thank you for your knowledge and skill in taking care of this operation for me. Coach

|  Joel Balch  |  show details
Aug 12th, 2011

It is so comforting to have a Christian brother taking care of me. Your care is supurb and your compassion is obvious. Thank you.

by Tricia H. on Aug 12th, 2011

I love Dr. Sweet! He's an easy Dr to talk to,he's compassionate,very caring. I would highly recommend him. I actually already have to a friend/coworker.My surgery was a success and i feel 100% better. Thank You Very Much Dr. Sweet for making me better!

|  Harlan C6 fracture  |  show details
Aug 5th, 2011

I can't say enough great things about Dr Sweet and his staff. They gave me my life back again.

Aug 3rd, 2011

Dr Sweet made me feel really comfortable about having my surgery. He's really a great doctor!

Jul 6th, 2011

Dr. and staff are great

Jun 13th, 2011

Dr Sweet and his staff truly made me feel at ease with the surgery and recovery. Thank you!

May 18th, 2011

see my rating and it tells all if i have to have anything else done to my neck or back i will be back to Dr. sweet

May 11th, 2011

I have been to the Monroe clinic and was diagnoesd with spinal stenosis and went U.W in Madison and now went to Dr. weet and said it was hip not back

May 9th, 2011

Rockford Spine Center is a great place to come for medical care. Everything is explained clearly and one is always treated with kindness. Dr. Sweet listens!

May 4th, 2011

i-Write about whether you would recommend-Write as if you are talking to a peer who is asking your opinion

May 2nd, 2011

I have full confidence and a special repore with Dr. Sweet. Excellent doctor and staff

|  fantistic  |  show details
Apr 29th, 2011

I went to various doctors and centers with little result. I am now walking without a cane or walker with minimal pain.

|  Capt. J. R. Evans  |  show details
Apr 27th, 2011

My experience with Dr Sweet and the Rockford Spine Center has been outstanding. Their concern and care regarding my back and the pain I was having appeared to be limitless. Although the rehabilition period has been long and slow, the surgery and the positive results I have experienced has been worth it. I heartily recommend Dr Sweet and the Rockford Spine Center to anyone with spine problems.