Dr. Frederick Cahan MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.2

October 14th, 2015
Honestly a mean man. Doesn't surprise me how many people have left him.

October 6th, 2015
Avoid this guy
We were seeing Dr. Taxman at this practice, and he was great. We would love to still be using him as our doctor. But there is no way I could go to a practice where Dr. Cahan is. The things that he said to my wife were so upsetting and inappropriate that I would expect them to be said by an immature teenager and not anyone in a professional setting. My wife and I had our first kid, and as everybody else can attest; it was a completely stressful time. On top of that, I was travelling for work and was gone 5-6 days per week. Approximately one month after my daughter was born, we had an outstanding bill that we had not yet paid. As you well know, the first month after a child (especially the first child) is born, things at home are completely chaotic. There are things everywhere. Papers everywhere. The parents are stressed, tired, and unsure of what day it is. Since I was travelling, my wife was responsible for taking care of everything. One day she called the doctor about our sick daughter, and Dr. Cahan rudely mentioned that “we need to talk about the bill” and asked when she was going to pay. She was so worried about our daughter and the bill was not on her mind. He then continued to get in a discussion with her about the bill and kept asking her when she was going to pay. And he kept going! Keep this in mind – we had been in his office about a month earlier for the services that he was asking payment for, and since it takes a little time to even get the bill that means that maybe we had the bill for all of 1 - 2 weeks. So here he was pressuring her to pay a bill when she called him for advice about a sick child. And by no means was he just “inquiring” about our payment status. He was very rude. As a doctor, shouldn’t he be focused on treating patients and not on billing? I could somewhat understand if we were taking advantage of getting free services for several months and rang up an expensive bill. This was hardly the case. We were talking about a $300 bill that we had only had for at most 2 weeks. I don't even think the insurance had processed it yet. I have never once met a doctor who asked a patient when they were going to pay their bills, and I have had doctor bills that were a lot more than $300 go unpaid for a lot longer than 2 weeks. Was the $300 really so important to his practice that he needed to pressure her to make a payment ASAP? We later told a few people that we knew and some of them said “they had heard similar stories about him”. As much as we hated leaving Dr. Taxman, I could no longer bring my child to Cahan's practice. It is clear he is concerned with $ and not treating kids. There are plenty of good doctors around here that don't treat people like dirt. Terrible. That story is so bizarre and awful that it cannot even be made up. If you saw that in a movie, you would say to yourself, "no doctor would ever really do that". False. Cahan did. So read all of the other negative reviews and if you want to bring your kid to this clown, go for it. The guy is awful.

July 15th, 2015
Yes, I have to admit I was terrified of Dr. Cahan when my first son was born. But after having four children, I have nothing but positive experiences to share. Yes, the office can be quite chaotic, but nobody is taking care of children better than Dr. Cahan. He is an incredible doctor, and I have found him to be warm, charismatic, humorous and caring. If there is a problem, he will diagnose it quickly and treat it or find the right specialist to do so. Thanks to Dr. Cahan for taking such great care of all of my children.

June 9th, 2015
The doctor Cohan do not respect people at all.
Many years ago I used to work for him only three weeks and this is was enough for me every body was shacking from him.....every morning you are going to work and do not know if doctor will be in a good mood. Now I have my degree I am doctor of pharmacy have a nice job, and will ever bring my son to him.....and tell to my friends never take kids to his practice .I wish him what somy body will complain about his practice to department of health ,about his behavior .

May 14th, 2015
The staff from the front desk girls to the Medical Asst. were amazing the doctors there are very rude to them I would not be returning back to his practice at all. I felt so sorry for his staff they would yell at the staff and treat them horriable I hope those women find something much better when it comes to empolyment

April 23rd, 2015
My children were patients of Mr Cahan's partner which meant we saw him about 50% of the time when we had sick visits. He was rude dismissive and insulting to not just his patiets, but also to the offuce staff. I left the practice when I brought in a sick infant and when I asked him to clarify the instructions he responded with "Are you stupid? I alreadt told you". The staff was rude when I asked to have my records transferred.

March 27th, 2015
A Great, Great Pediatrician
Understandably, some reviews ding Dr. Cahan due to his "bedside" manner. Yes, at first blush he's gruff and can come off as distant, uncaring, and sarcastic. Fair comment by those who've only been to him a few times. He was - get this - my wife's pediatrician so when it came to our 3 now teenage kids, Fred has been their pediatrician since they were infants. The outsider here, I was pretty put off by his mannerisms (as mentioned in other reviews) the first few visits and couldn't grasp why we were "putting up with his crap". I know why - the "crap" is just his joshing way. If you don't have a sense of humor or are thin-skinned, then Dr. Cahan may not be your guy. But, if you want a pediatrician who cares intensely about his patients (your kids, not you) then there's no better. And, once you realize his gruffness is just a playful game, you'll soon learn that when it really matters, Dr. Cahan is all-in and an incredibly experienced pediatrician who's practical, responsive, totally knows his sh*t, and is great with kids. Again, great with kids (he's not your doctor). If you need to be coddled, take a pass. If you want a bestin-class pediatrician you can completely trust and know will be there no matter what, then get out your sense of humor, your thick skin, make Dr. Cahan your kid's pediatrician, and enjoy the ride as much as your kids do.

January 13th, 2015
Best Pediatrician for your kids!
These negative reviews are a joke. Our experience with Dr. Fred and the rest of the doctors and staff has been nothing short of wonderful. If you want your Pediatrician to cater to what the parent's needs are then this probably isn't the place for you. Dr. Fred puts the child first and parent second - the way I know I would like it. Second, Dr. Fred's sarcasm and humor are the best part of a visit. So, in if you want an amazing doctor for your kids who puts them first and is legitimately funny - see Dr. Fred.

January 5th, 2015
Dr Cahan is unstable
Dr Cahan is very rude and condescending, i am even surprised he has 2 stars. I dread taking my kids to his office now (only in emergency), i never take them for wellness appointment to see him of course. he doesn't explain anything in clear manner, you walk out not know the exact issue, when he is in a mood, he tells the filthiest jokes not respecting people when cursing, he charges my insurance flu tests twice and charges tests he hasn't conducted (at least he didn't tell me). I am moving on from this office.

November 13th, 2013
Great experience
Dr. Cahan has been my doctor and my brother's doctor since I we were babies. I thought he was kind and funny when I was little, and felt at ease in his care. We always were extremely well taken care of, and neither my parents nor my brother and I had any complaints. He cares about his patients in a very genuine way. I cannot stress enough how happy we have been with Dr. Cahan and this office. I always feel comfortable and well-cared for.

May 11th, 2013
Horrible
A doctor should not only be good at diagnosing but he/she should also be courteous, patient and empathetic. A pediatrician should have the skills and desire to relate not only to the child but also to the parent. What good is one without the other? Dr Cahan is rude and verbally abusive without cause and this is inexcusable. All the other doctors in the practice have been wonderful.

May 1st, 2013
mom
The staff is rude and unbearable, they hung up on me when asking for directions. Horrible place to bring your baby not what I expect. The offices are not clean either. Courteous Staff is there a negative star?