Dr. Frederick Long MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry New York, NY

• Good
  • Bad

February 11th, 2016
Adequate, but not the right fit for me
Dr. Long is a very kind and compassionate doctor, even if he has a bit of an odd sense of humor and mode of expression. He's also very patient and flexible about scheduling issues, and he genuinely cares about his patients. I saw him for around two years (weekly psychotherapy paired with medication management). And although he's a competent doctor and therapist, he ultimately wasn't the right fit for me. I usually left appointments feeling worse than when I went in, and found myself gradually dreading appointments, because I felt very stuck and not always understood. He rarely brought about any insights I hadn't already had on my own, and it sometimes seemed like he'd fixate on issues that weren't actually causing me much distress, while glossing over the issues that were most important to me. I am a bit of a stubborn patient, and I would admittedly sometimes resist the treatment because I felt unheard and frustrated. But since I was a stubborn, resistant patient, he'd throw out the same suggestions he'd already thrown out multiple times before, and sometimes his repetitive suggestions felt like a stale lecture rather than a dialogue. The more frustrated and repetitive he got, the more guarded and shut down I got. We just weren't the right fit, and it felt like we were both missing each other rather than being totally on the same page. But that being said, I'm sure he'd make a perfectly compassionate and reliable doctor for other patients less stubborn than I was. In spite of our mismatch, he's very intelligent and knowledgeable, and very invested in the well-being of his patients.

June 16th, 2015
Very flexible with time and very professional. Works with you to help with anxiety and lack of focus. Would highly recommend.

December 1st, 2014
Dr. Long has been fantastic. He is thoughtful and understanding and provides both support and practical advice and solutions. You can tell that he really cares and wants to help, as well as being extremely competent.

March 11th, 2014
Great Psychiatrist who is very qualified, cares about your problems and adds great value to your life. He really seems to listen and actively tries to understand you instead of just sitting there. Office might need a refresh.

July 13th, 2013
A doctor who really cares ..
Highly recommend this doctor. He is getting me thru some of the toughest times in my life with relative ease.

June 16th, 2012
One in a million
How many times have we searched in vain for a psychopharmacologist/therapist? Dr. Long is intelligent, caring, non-judgemental, open, unusually empathetic and has a dry sense of humor. He is conscientious, professional and, did I say intelligent? One in a million is an understatement.You will not find better in New York City. At least. I have years of positive growth experience.

April 28th, 2017