Dr. Frederick Sklar MD Patient Reviews

• Neurological Surgery Dallas, TX

3.4

October 7th, 2015
sarah
When I was 15 months old found I had Hydrocephalus. I then had a shunt put in my head and at the age of nine It collapsed due to a cancerous tumor. Dr Sklar was my neurosuroligist after horrible Dr Swift refused to care for me after he removed my tumor. I layed in bed after BRAIN surgery and SWIFT walks right past my room not once came to check on me but going to every other patients room as I lay in bed in pain after Brain surgery. As soon as this happened Sklar became my DR. I was in chemo treatment one day and Swift stopped by to visit one of his patients. He just stared at me and my family. Swift is a horrible Dr. I am so glad Sklar was my Dr he truly cares about the wellbeing of his patients.

April 29th, 2015
Father
I can see where some people have had issues with Dr. Sklar if they haven't had much experience with him. When we first met him, we didn't care for him at all. He acted just like many other surgeons. He didn't respond to questions well and didn't speak to us much at all the week leading up to surgery (we were in the hospital). The day prior to the surgery, he sat us down and explained everything to us. We still weren't sure what to think about him. 2 brain surgeries, 1 spinal surgery, and 8 years later, we couldn't be happier with the care we received. He cut a vacation short to come see us in the hospital after a surgery. After getting to know him we realized how much he really cares about our son. If you can get past the first impression and deal with his sub-par bedside manner, you will find an excellent surgeon that just might save your child's life.

January 9th, 2015
Money is only concern
Horrible doctor and wait time was ridiculous! His assistant is so cold over the phone and in person too. Dr Sklar wanted to put a shunt in our son for hydrocephalus but there was no evidence that the fluid was increasing so we questioned why he wanted to do the shunt. He doesn't respond to questions well and he doesn't like "statistics" as he would always say (we had four visits with him) well after he threw the papers and said we needed another opinion we walked out and never looked back. One year later after seeing a different neurosurgeon, it turns out our son does NOT have hydrocephalus!! This dr is all about making money and doesn't think of the long term consequences that surgeries cause for patients and their families!! When I was pregnant and we saw him, since we knew something wasn't right back then, his words to me were "well perhaps if you had known sooner you would have done something different but here we are"... Suggesting an abortion might have been better. This is the worst dr ever and has absolutely no bedside manner or concern for his patients. I think back on how he would have changed my sons life forever had he put a shunt in. This dr disgusts me!

September 23rd, 2013
Pediatric Brain Surgeon
Dr, Sklar cared about my son. He saved his life with three different surgeries. He is a pediatric brain surgeon, so I don't believe the ease of appt, promptness etc really apply. If my son needed another surgery, I would go to Dr. Sklar again.

October 21st, 2012
Don't choose this guy
I have several issues with this surgeon and office. My son is a teenager now and had a shunt as a result of prematurity. a) This Dr. advises surgeries as a preventative measure, even though the kid isn't sick. Basically, the shunt was pulling out of the stomach so he was concerned of future blockage. The Nuero in New Orleans (when he was a baby) said this would happen and after I thought about it, advised for it to pull out when the time comes. Don't treat if the kid isn't sick. Sklar pushed for the surgery as a preventive caution before school started. I followed his advice and wished I wouldn't of. I think I destroyed in slim chance he had of becoming shunt independent.2) The front office barely notice when you walk in. The woman just keeps staring at the computer and doesn't recognize when you arrive.3) You will wait at least 1.5 hours on avergage before going in for a 5 minute appointment.4) The billing system is a mess. Be prepared for 6 bills per surgery. They can't seem to consolidate the information.5) This guy loves recommending MRI. At a much higher rate than my Neuro in France or New Orleans.Overall, I just dont' trust this office.

January 6th, 2011
Wasn't friendly Did seem like he completely cared about our problems