Dr. Fredrick Oni Is this you?

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. Fredrick Oni?

December 21st, 2015

I would not recommend him to my enemy. His bedside manner is very poor.

May 4th, 2015

Rude Office Staff

I am shocked by how I was treated by the office staff. Very rude.

April 12th, 2014

Go to Macon instead

I had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy and my dr referred me to Dr Oni to do an MRCP followed by an ERCP because there were gallstones in the bile ducts near the pancreas. I was told that he was going in to remove these, because while I "may be OK and may pass them, theres a chance they may cause pancreatitis or other further problems" if they were not. Dr Oni said that he was going in to remove them, even drew a quick diagram showing the layout of the organs in the vicinity of the ducts and where the gallstones were. He said there was a 1 - 4 % chance of complications even with a successful proceedure (online research says 14%- I would have immediately said no to this number). I didn't feel comfortable doing this because I have been suffering with gallstones for years and I felt so much better after having my gallbladder removed, it seemed like an unnecessary procedure. However having 2 Dr's recommend it being done felt like I should do it. I was in the hospital and had no way of looking up Dr Oni's information and I trusted my Dr to refer me to someone reputable since he's been highly recommended by many people and has been in practice 20+ years. After spending less than 5 minutes being told about the above, I was wheeled down the next morning to the OR and I was really unhappy about it. When Dr Oni came by before it was time to proceed, I said to him, "Would you have this done if you were me?" and he seemed to get very irritated and said, "As I told you yesterday the risks are very low. Either you want it done or you dont. Which is it." At that point I just said, Well I'm here lets go ahead. He put in a stint while in there (which I was never asked if I would be OK with), and said after, "I do this to protect you." Well being discharged from the hospital that following early AM I had something that felt like an alien punched me and a contained explosion in the area where the ducts are. It was followed by throbbing which was very uncomfortable and only periodically painful. The hours went by and it continued to escalate in discomfort and pain, so I called the office and explained to them that I was very concerned as I was in severe pain and it was worsening, the person on the phone was not a nurse and would not put me through to one, only told me to come in that I must be there before noon as Dr Oni left the office at that time. Immediately my husband drove me there and even though I was visibly in distress/pain, the receptionist told me to sit and wait after asking everyone in the office if they'd ever heard of me or spoke to me on the phone (apprently no one had). After waiting 10 minutes, I approached the receptionists again, and again, I was told to sit and wait, she did not even remove her eyes from a computer screen. 4 other patients (not in distress) in the office were called back and given rooms during this time. A few minutes more a woman called me up to give me paperwork which I could not have filled out if I wanted to, and I expressed to her that this was not a casual office visit, it was an emergency and I was in severe pain. The woman told me that I would not see Dr Oni without the paperwork being filled out, and that I could go to the ER if it were that bad. Talk about support! I promptly left the (unprofessionally staffed and dirty) office and went to the ER. Dr Oni called me shortly and explained he would come in a few hours when he was done at his practice, and that I should not eat or drink anything. He did not ask anything about my symptoms. I got to the ER and waited a few hours until he came and he told me that the problems I was having were not related to the stint, I asked him if he would listen to my symptoms, and after I described them he said again, "We will take the stint out, but it is not because of the stint you are having these pains." I told him it made no sense to remove a stint and do further proceedures until discovering the true cause of the pain since he felt it was not the stint. He said, "No, no, you think it is the stint, so we will remove the stint," and he left. I was taken to the gastro proceedure room and less than 30 minutes later, minus a sore throat, I was pain free and could walk upright again. So much for not being the stint! I did some reading online and as we all know not all things are cut and dry especially when it comes to this particular topic, but I am under the firm impression that there was not a single reason to have a stint installed in my ducts in the first place. Also another website which tracks doctors certifications showed that he was board certified in 2013 in gastroenterology. Perhaps the website is wrong, as I see reviews from 2010 on here about him. Either way, it was a very scarey ride for me and based alone on the support his office provided, I would not use this doctor. The rest only adds to it.

January 18th, 2013

Avery incompetent doctor.

February 8th, 2012

Poor manners!

First time visiting this doctor and the last! He was so mad that I had seen another gastrointestinal doctor in Macon before coming to see him, that he couldn't focus on the reason I was seeing him. Even though I called his office, but they were closed for the holidays.Several times he brought up on the visit about me seeing this other doctor and at point even laughed sarcastically about he had been in Warner Ronins for 9 years and found it hard to believe that I didn't know to come to him first! He never once asked the reason I was seeking medical advice. I was so upset that I told the receptionist for this to be the first time seeing this doctor he had not made me feel very comfortable and I would not be having anything done at this office. Waste of time and money!!!!!!

January 19th, 2012

This is the greatest doctor I have ever seen, very caring and knows what he does.

July 27th, 2011

Very Unprofessional

I was referred to Dr. Oni's office when I got sick and my liver numbers went off the chart. He sent me for several tests, and when I went in for my appointment to find out what could be done for my liver (after spending 6 months on Accutane which messes your liver up) he walked in over an hour late, walked up to the tests on the computer, barely spoke, told me I was overweight and that was my problem with my liver, got up to leave, I asked him about the Accutane, he said "yes that could do it too" and walked out of the room with no more conversation nor instructions as to what to do to help my situation. I wasn't feeling well enough at the time to put a formal complaint into Tricare about him, but I'm not a happy person.

April 9th, 2011

Worst Office Visit EVER!!!

My first ( and will be the ONLY) visit to Dr. Oni was unbelieveably HORRIBLE! He gives no indication of concern for patient's problem. He asked a few questions and was impatient waiting for the anwers as he typed responses into the computer. There was virtually NO patient/physician interaction. He acted as though the patient was a bother to him and he had MUCH MORE IMPORTANT things to do than be in the examining room. At the end of the "session" he said, "If you decide you want a colonoscopy just contact the our office." Fat Chance that will take place as he will never see my face again in his office. If I need a colonoscopy, I will act upon the advice of my internist not Dr. Oni's ! My insurance company will be paying for services that were in reality not received!!If your current attending physician refers Dr. Oni to you, decline and ask for another physician. By the way, why does he have a huge photo of himself taken by a professional photographer hanging in the waiting room? I thought this a little strange before I even met the guy.

January 10th, 2011

Unprofessional and incompitent

My husband had a colonoscopy in 2006 perfrmed by Dr.Oni because he was having very bad abdominal pain, bleeding and his stomach distended. when Dr. Oni spoke to me after the procedure he said that he found nothing abnormal and scheduled no follow up. My husband just recently became very ill with alot of the same symptoms but much much worse. I took him to my primary doctor who then pulled up the colonoscopy and report done by Dr. Oni in 2006. He was shocked at what he found. In 2006 several polyps with obvious changes were found and even reported by Dr. Oni but they wee not removed nor was a biopsy done or a follow up scheduled or a yearly exam recommended which is normal medical practice and the Dr. seeing my husband was shocked by this and of course has now scheduled another colonscopy and follow up care with a warning to us that with what was found but just left alone in 2006 by Dr. Oni we could be facing a diagnosis of colon cancer in my 39 year old husband. If this is so then Dr. Oni is to blame and responsible because had he provided the proper medical care, follow up and procedures my husband would not be going through what he is now. So if you want to chance your life then this is the so called doctor to see.

October 28th, 2010

Find another doctor

I was referred to Dr. Oni to have a colonoscopy by my OB/GYN. I met with Dr. Oni, he went over my medical history very quickly by looking into a computer screen. He asked very few questions, listened to my heart and lungs and palpitated my stomach. The nurse had taken my weight and blood pressure. He told me the procedure would take 10 minutes. I would be given a medicine for pain and one to make me forget the procedure and that the worse part was the bowel prep the day before the surgery. I asked the nurse for a brochure on the procedure. She stated they were in another room where a patient was and she would give me one. She did not. I left the office with no information on the procedure other than the surgery center would contact me the day before the surgery with the time I should arrive. I was given instructions on how to prepare for the bowel prep and a prescription for the type of bowel prep used. The day of the surgery, Dr. Oni never came and talked to me before the procedure. Basically all my questions had to be answered by the nurse administering the IV and the nurses in the operating room. Dr. Oni arrived about a minute before I was given the drug to knock me out. After the procedure I woke up to the nurse taking my blood pressure in the recovery room. The gave me something to drink, gave me my clothes and brought the wheelchair for me to leave w/n 20 minutes of coming out of surgery. Dr. Oni never talked to my husband about the procedure or had anyone tell us what the findings where. I was given discharge papers by the surgery center w/no instructions for pain other than for severe emergency room type instructions. I went home with horrible gas pain and indigestion the result of the gas used to blow-up your colon for the exam and from swallowing the bowel prep the day before. From researching on the internet I found out that the gas should subside w/n a few hours and that walking should help move the gas out. The gas continued along with indigestion, slight cramping and discomfort in the rectal area. This was on a Friday. On Monday I contacted Dr. Oni's office to find out what went on during the surgery and what to do about my symptoms. His office manager was belligerent, argumentative and obusive. It took me over 20 minutes to get through to her that I wanted to know what happened during surgery did they find a polyp, did they have to remove it, etc. I told her that I realized that a biopsy would take time for the lab to do the tests but I was just trying to find out why the doctor never talked to my husband, what did he do and why was I having pain. She told me the doctor always talks to the patient's care taker and that my husband wasn't there. That I have no pain. A colonoscopy doesn't cause pain and that she wouldn't even get anything back from the surgery center until Wednesday at the earliest. When I insisted on talking to the doctor or a nurse, she stated the doctor was in a conference and she is a nurse. It turns out the office manager is his wife who was a nurse in 2003 and her license had lapsed in 2007. She didn't relay my concerns to the Doctor/her husband and she did not return my call that day like she said she would. But, after calling the surgery center she did finally tell me that I had a poly removed and told me I could take tylenol and gas-x for my discomfort. On the following Monday I called again to see if any results were in. She was mad that the surgery center hadn't called me and stated it was their responsibilty. I was still experiencing discomfort. She put me on hold and came back on the line and said my results were back and they had been faxed to my OB/GYN and that I should come back in one year for a follow-up colonoscopy. I was outraged that the doctor was not going to interpret the findings for me that I was expected to go to my OB/GYN for answers to my many questions. Like do I have cancer, etc? I asked for a copy of my records to and how much they would be. She stated I could have them and I then canceled the follow-up appointment scheduled for a 1 1/2 weeks from that Monday. The following morning I went to Dr. Oni's office to pick up my paperwork and it was 2 pages one from the lab with their results and a sheet from Dr. Oni where he had apparently dictated the results of my colonoscopy. Still no medical professional had talked to me and gone over my results. I asked if there was a nurse or someone who could explain this to me and she stated once again that she was a nurse. She snarled at me and said precancerous. Then she smiled and told me to have a Blessed Day. I am now waiting to meet with a surgeon who can pick up where Dr. Oni left off and explain the results and to schedule any follow-up. Dr. Oni may or may not be an excellent surgeon. At this point all I can say if you need a doctor to explain procedures or results for you and a nice courteous helpful staff you have chosen the wrong doctor. I have since found out that Dr. Oni does not talk to the patient or the patient's care-taker before or after surgery and his practice is to make you wait until the follow-up which can be as long as one month later. All he had to do is very simply state what was done and they are waiting on test results and if you have any discomfort, either call my office and someone would get ahold of him for instructions or a general description of what could be taken for side-effects. It has been 2 weeks since my "simple colonoscopy" and I am still sick. Don't put yourself through this. Find another doctor.

May 31st, 2017