Internist, Oncology Specialist (cancer)

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

|  show details
by Shira on Mar 6th, 2013

Dr. Smith is an excellent doctor. He has a great manner and is one of the only doctors I have ever been to that actually does a thorough physical exam each time he sees you. He explains every aspect of your care and takes time to answer questions. I am aware that he has been criticized for not spending enough time with patients but if you have questions he will always see you and if you are there for chemo he works beautifully with his nurses who will get anything you need or get you in to see him immediately, if needed. I would recommend him without hesitation. I came to him after being at Hopkins where I had a team of doctors and he clarified my treatment plan.

|  An exceptional physican  |  show details
Aug 10th, 2012

I was not his patient but a family member. I found him extremely professional and compassionate. He treated my sister with respect and she was always involved in her care. Some of these reviews are not of the man I met. Cancer does not always have a positive outcome and he was honest with my sister, what she chose to tell us was her decision not his. Thank you for being a kind, gentle man in a very destructive field of medicine.

|  Bordering on malpractice  |  show details
Jul 22nd, 2012

Extremely unknowledgeable about my family member's cancer, yet arrogant and dismissive in conversation. Took so long to provide test results and to return a phone call that the doctor caused a series of events leading to death. Lied when asked about what happened. I would not recommend this doctor at all.

|  A wonderfully competent oncologist and fine human being  |  show details
Jun 8th, 2012

dr Smith cured my ovarian cancer. He has a gentle and patient bedside manner and takes all the time one needs fir questions. Ge works very well with the other DC specialists (surgeons) and is an expert. His chemoroom us calm and soothing and comfortable and tge entire supportive professional atmosphere in tge office is reassuring. Thus is tge best care one can get.

|  Top Notch  |  show details
Feb 10th, 2012

I have been a patient of Dr. Smith's for 5 years. I am a now a cancer-free triple-negative breast cancer survivor. I fully believe the care I received by Dr. Smith and his staff saved my life. I call Dr. Smith my Zen doctor. He is confident, friendly, but soft-spoken and deliberate - for me that had a very calming effect. He exudes geniune compassion and a quiet confidence. He is not at all condensending, I always felt like an equal in determining my care. He listens intently, welcome questions, discusses options, and spends as much time as the patient needs/wants (wait time might suffer just a bit because of this). In fact, that is how his entire staff behaves - from the lab assistants, to the nurses, to the front desk staff. Bottom line - in Dr. Smith's care, I've always felt, respected, heard, reassured, and important. I believe that means as much as any chemotherapy in providing the best possible outcome.

|  Fabulous oncologist  |  show details
Nov 30th, 2011

Not only medically but also personally. Dr Smith is kindly and compassionate.

|  show details
Jul 14th, 2011

Dr. Smith was unfamiliar with the type of cancer my family member had when he saw him. His care was cursory, uncaring, and full of errors and bad advice. His behavior around his lack of knowledge was smug, and he was more concerned with his reputation and saving face than anything else. Sorry, but this is what happened, and it should be noted for those with cancers other than breast cancer or the more commonly treated forms.

|  Dr. Smith = calm  |  show details
May 9th, 2011

I initially met Dr. Smith while I was recovering in the hospital from surgery. Other Doctor's and people highly recommended Dr. Smith. From my first meeting with Dr. Smith, he explained the illness, the procedures and treatment I would be receiving. He calmly took the time to answer all of our questions. I greatly appreciate Dr. Smith's knowledge and personality.

|  Zen doctor  |  show details
Oct 6th, 2010

Dr. Smith treated me for breast cancer in 2008. I had 8 TAC and Avastin chemo treatments and another 9 follow-up Avastin treatments. Dr. Smith is very calm and quiet, yet caring and always willing to discuss your treatment and provide options. I found his manner very soothing (I called him zen doctor), but not condensending. He was a welcome source of patience, confidence, logic, and sanity during a stressful period for me. He was willing to apply for (and got accepted) for a clinical trial so that I could receive treatment with Avastin. His staff, from the front desk personel, to the chemo nurses, and his head nurse Susie are all very friendly, caring, and knowledgable.