Dr. Gary Botstein MD Patient Reviews

• Rheumatology Decatur, GA

3.6

December 22nd, 2016
Superior in all ways
Dr. Botstein is a most thorough rheumatologist. Discusses everything concerning your illness, does check up every visit, staff is very kind. I am lucky to have gone to him when I first had arthritis symptoms. Very lucky.

October 4th, 2016
Not worth your precious time!
Poor bedside manners. Rushes, does not listen, and talks over you. spends more time documenting in the computer than speaking with you. The staff is horrible! LONG wait time!They are unfriendly, rude and not willing to help you at all. I was told by Dr. Botstein that If I am experiencing a flare up to call and come to see him right away. The staff who answered the phone was rude, condescending and told me that my symptoms should be checked out by my PMD, which were Flank pain, cloudy urine and joint pains, which are signs of an acute episode. I was then turned away by the staff who states that there are no available appointment for 3 mos and no walk in available for 4 weeks! I am currently in pain and on the hunt for another Rheumatologist‎ in Decatur. SMH.

December 19th, 2014
Very good in office staff. Dr Botstein, he listens,he explains.

December 17th, 2014
corrected another physician's misdiagnosis and succeeded in bringing my polyatryritis into remission. was aggressive in seeking and finding the right course of treatment.

January 22nd, 2014
Tired of waiting
Dr. Botstein is good at his job in the sense that he can provide an accurate diagnosis and a good treatment plan. He's also very conscientious not to overprescribe medication, in making sure his patients get regular lab work and with monitoring addictive painkillers. Where he falls down is on everything else. Dr. Botstein's bedside manners are sorely lacking -- he does explain things but he interrupts, is curt and he can be very arrogant. His office is tired and worn out. That wouldn't matter if patients didn't have to wait a hour or more to be seen -- first waiting in the lobby then in the exam room. The worst part of seeing him is the wait. Even if you ask for the first appointment of the day, you'll find yourself waiting with 2-3 others who are scheduled for the same time, plus 2-3 others scheduled for every 15 minutes before and after your appointment time. To me, it's unacceptable. There are other nearby rheumatologists who get high marks for both their treatment of disease and their treatment of patients. Seek them out.

April 29th, 2013
Find another doctor!
I visited Dr Botstein on a referral and could not have been more disappointed. My wait time to see him was over an hour (other reviews indicate that this is typical). The appointment was rushed and it was clear that he had not reviewed any of my medical information prior to walking into the room. My follow up visit experience was equally as bad, with a 1.5 hr wait while I had to listen to the staff behind the counter talking badly about other patients (which is highly unethical). Once again, he had not reviewed my info and spent most of my visit reading my chart. Complete waste of time and now I can never get anyone on the phone to actually pay my bill. Too many other Rheumatologists to choose from for better patient care/consideration.

November 19th, 2012
A very good match for me
I was surprised to see Dr. Botstein characterized by some patients as arrogant and uncaring. I have consistently found him to be exactly the opposite. He always spends enough time with me, and when I hit a rough patch in my treatment, he is open to mutual problem-solving. I don't expect him to be warm and fuzzy all of the time, I just want him to be accurate in his diagnoses and course of treatment. Wait times are, in fact, a bit of a problem, but I accept that because I know that he will take his time with me, just as he is doing with the patients who are ahead of me.

January 19th, 2012
Slowest office I've ever experienced. Wait times past your appointment time--scheduled 3 months in advance--are regularly 30 minutes or more. There have been several instances where I waited almost an hour, all the way up to 2 hours and 15 minutes. This is to see Dr. Botstein for a whopping 10 minutes or less. The people here are nice enough, but going in is an absolute ordeal, and since Dr. Bostein requires that patients see him every 3 months, it's a regular one. Not happy here and will switch if/when I can.

November 4th, 2011
Extremely competent
I find him to be extremely intelligent and careful. He is not particularly touchy feely, but I don't want that. I want useful information and an accurate diagnosis. That is what I got.

October 21st, 2010
Comment about why he runs late
Dr. Botstein is known for running late. To the other comment, a quick look at the sign in sheet shows that he books two or more patients for the same time frame (15 minute window) so, even if you are the "first" appointment of the day, it could take a hour or longer to be seen. Unfortunately, this seems to be how rheumatologists in Atlanta conduct their practices. I used to go to a doctor who ran two to four hours late -- even had a sign posted in the waiting room so patients would stop complaining to the receptionist about it! Sad given that rheumatologists see old people who often get so uncomfortable sitting still with their conditions.

October 20th, 2010
I like that he is a good doctor in that the combination of meds I am on help with reducing pain. I do not like that he is arrogant, extremely late (even when I request the first appointment of the day) and finishes sentences for me or cuts me off.

April 12th, 2010
ranked one of the best in Atlanta
At initial visit I thought he was rude, but his appeared arrogance was really that he did not want to hear what other doctors had diagnosed- he wanted to diagnose for HIMSELF. I knew I had FMS because of what I had been told by several doctors over 10 years, but his approach of asking me why I accepted the diagnosis appeared to be more of wanting active participation by the patient.Wait times are HORRIFIC. I have made the first appt and still not left his office until noon. I have had last afternoon appts, only to be leaving with the staff at 5pm. Expect 3 hours of your time to be in his office for a 30 minute appt.