Geriatric Psychiatrist

3.0

by Alice on Nov 13th, 2014

We came to Dr. Fiegel with our mother. We paid him extra money to be there when we needed him. I think my brother paid $1400 for the extra services. He told us because we paid the extra money that he and his office would take care of everything, paperwork, meds, hospital admits or care facilites if we needed it. WELL! That was not true. About a month after we went to him my mom took a turn for the worse. When we contacted him, he treated us like we did not know what we were talking about. To make a long story short my mom was admitted to the hospital by another Dr. Dr. Fiegel never called to check on her or even called the hospital or a family member. We ended up putting mom in an Assisted Living center. He did not help us find it and has not been there to check on her or even called to check on her. We have called his office to get paperwork done and some answers to questions we had. We got no where. We might as well have put the extra money we paid him down the drain. He was a total waste and did nothing for our mom.

Do not see Dr. Figiel show details Do not see Dr. Figiel
Oct 15th, 2012

Sarcastic and a smart-alecManipulative and uncaringOffice re-bills for things already paidVerbally ABUSIVE

ECT show details ECT
Jul 17th, 2012

Dr Figiel administered shock treatment which probably saved my life. I was spending more time in the hospital for depression than at home. The ECT's kept me out of the hospital.However, Dr Figiel administered almost 200 ECT's which have caused me to lose most of my long-term memory and have difficulty with short-term memory, as well. Affected my cognitive skills in a negative manner.I feel ECT is a good treatment for people who have not been successful with medication. I think Dr Figiel saw ECT's as a fix-all and used them unnecessarily at times - received too many.

AVOID HIM show details AVOID HIM
Apr 28th, 2012

I would not recommend him to anyone. I cannot see how anyone thinks that he is caring and compassionate. He certainly is arrogant, detached, and unresponsive to my concerns, to the point that I reported him to governing body.

A truly caring doctor show details A truly caring doctor
Jan 29th, 2012

Easy to talk to, very understanding,expert advice on meds---all-in-all, a totally A experience.

Nov 24th, 2011

Dr. Figiel is supremely confident, and at times arrogant and abrasive. On the surface, he is rather likeable. However, he is given to fits of temper behind the scenes with both patients and patients' family members.I have known him to be verbally abusive when he loses his patience.He has a disconcerting habit of being rather flirtacious with the younger, more attractive women patients. However, he is too "street-smart" to cross the proverbial line...I cannot recommend him.

ALERT show details ALERT
Jul 6th, 2011

All of my above ratings are true (on the surface). Dr Figiel does seem to care and be compassionate and has a great sense of humor, very personable.However, after seeing Dr Figiel for a while, I found him to be dishonest, money hungry, uncaring and inappropriate.I, along with many other patients whom I came to know while in the waiting room, have received approximately 200 ECT's. The ECT's were helpful in the beginning, but I, and the others agree, didn't need 200 ECT's!!! This included months of hospitalizations in a geriatric hospital which spent most of their time caring for the elderly with very little time for the younger patients. We even had to write our initials on all of our personal belongings because the elder patients were stealing our things.My life is destroyed. I have no memory of my childhood, my daughter's growing up years, my wedding, zip. I can't remember things that happened recently. I have to write notes to remind me of things I need to do and then loose the notes. I had to go on permanent disability and I loved my job. I now live on the poverty level.After a certain number of ECT's, I and my doctor noticed I began to feel worse. Against Dr Figiel's advice, I stopped the treatments and later improved greatly. I am doing much better now and have a wonderful doctor and therapist. I see my psychiatrist about every 3 months for medication maintenance and my therapist weekly.I am bipolar but my illness is controlled by my medications and my support team. Most of my support comes from within.I must add that I am in favor of ECT's in drastic cases. I just feel that they should be done in series and monitored VERY closely to see if more are needed. I would see Dr Figiel and tell him I was very depressed but not suicidal and he would give me an ECT. I needed to work on my issues and not just hide them behind an ECT.DO NOT TRUST THIS DOCTOR!

I cannot recommend Dr. Figiel show details I cannot recommend Dr. Figiel
by Amber on Dec 19th, 2009

I have witness overt verbal abuse by Dr. Figiel to patients and to the families of patients. He has bullying tencencies which he will not hesitate to project on those patients who appear vulnerable to him. Dr. Figiel also has a tendency to flirt and to make inappropriate comments to younger and more attractive female patients. His wife, Linda, is a nurse there, and both she and the other nurses appear unhappy and intimidated by his Jekyll and Hyde behavior. Dr. Figiel is a smooth salesman who is able to convince patients of treatments (such as ECT and inappropriate medications). His office billed me numerous times for treatments which had already been paid for by my insurance company!

by BETTY J HODGES on Nov 15th, 2009

Dr. Figiel is the best. He is intelligent, caring and witty. I have come to respect him as a professional and to care for him as a friend.

daughter of elderly parent with memory problems show details daughter of elderly parent with memory problems
by Susan on Jan 7th, 2009

I have been to many doctors in my life, and I must say that Dr. Figiel was just the nicest and most compassionate doctor that I have seen. He came to the waiting room to get my father and I, and from the very beginning I was put at such ease by Dr. Figiel. He spent an hour with us. He spoke to me alone, and then with my father, and then both of us again, just like the office had said that he would. He was so easy to speak to and I really felt like he could have been a family member. I also spoke to another lady in the waiting room, and she gave the doctor the same review as I did. I told my husband that he validated me so much with our problems that I would love to just go back and talk to him. If you have a parent who has a memory problem or depression, Dr. Figiel is the one to see.

Too Many ECT's (Shock Treatment) show details Too Many ECT's (Shock Treatment)
by Sheila on Aug 28th, 2008

Initially, ECT's helped me very much and kept me out of the hospital. However, Dr Figiel administered over 200 ECT's which were not necessary and caused my depressin to worsen w/permanent damage (memory loss, inability to concentrate, etc). Other doctors say 200 ECT's are incomprensible and never heard of. Dr Figiel used ECT's which covered up my pain and blocked out my feelings; ECT was quicker and brought in more $$$. ECT's were used in place of working on my mental illness.The use of excessive ECT's have happened to more of his patients who are considering a malpractice (possibly class action)suit. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DR FIGIEL TO ANYONE. His office has also harassed me for over six years saying I owe money which I do not owe. Some of outstanding claims payments from my insurance companies are due to negligence from Dr Figiel's office (filing too late, wrong codes, incorrect information, duplicate claims). After MANY calls to Dr Figiel's office and my insurance company, I continue to be harassed. Also, since Dr Figiel moved to his new office in Atlanta, he has a new accounting firm which has gone back to 2000 on and found money they say I owe. This has been proven to be wrong but I continue to receive harassing calls and statements warning me I am being turned over to their collection agency and that my credit will be damaged. My reason for seeing Dr Figiel was for depression, suicidal ideations, bipolor disease, anxiety and stress. Without saying, this has worsened my condition and Dr Figiel will NOT return my calls.