Dr. Gary Chen MD Patient Reviews

3.8

• Good
  • Bad

February 24th, 2016
Horrible doctor. he's not attentive to my needs, does not examine me, and very very rude. More than half my visit he was on his phone and mumbled to every other word I said. In total he saw me for about 1 minute before running out because he "had to pick up lunch". No exam, no treatment plan and waste of my time. Definitely will not be returning. Horrible.

January 11th, 2016
Great doctor, very helpful
Few years ago I didn't have an updated insurance and pay for my appointment (wich was very cheap)... I had a bad sinus infection and he was very nice and compassionate, he took his time to check me up and also gave me some free medicine... since that day he has been my primary care doctor. He takes his time and sometimes he talks to you like you are a 3 years old but overall he is a wonderful Doctor who really cares for you .

July 7th, 2015
We trust Dr Chen who does his best to make us healthier.
My mother-in-law has seen Dr. Gary Chen for more than a decade. She also recommended my mother to Dr. Chen. Since then, they have been seeing together for several years. Dr. Chen fixed my mother's severe medical problems and she is now in her best condition. Dr. Chen is well known in our community for fixing severe heart problems. We rest assured that our parents won't have heart attack or stroke under his care because it seems to us that he has excellent understanding of cardiovascular diseases and he gives the right medication to our parents. All members of our family see Dr. Chen. We live more than 20 blocks away from Dr. Chen's office, but it is worth of traveling, although there are two Chinese speaking doctors' offices near our home. We trust Dr. Chen who does his best to make us healthier.

March 3rd, 2015
Ehh
I don't trust this doctors judgement in making decisions...unfocused, unorganized, temperamental. Takes 10 seconds in the visit, does not ask questions just in and out. I guess if you didn't know any better you can come here. The staff is extremely courteous however and takes time to answer any questions or concerns. The doc? Not so much. Runs out in the middle of my sentence, comes back in 2 minutes with another patients chart in hand and forgot I was in the room. Idk where this guy got his md from.

July 16th, 2013
My experience: The ease of appointment gets four stars. I've seen Dr. Chen for maybe less than 10 times over the past couple of years. I've never been rejected due to appointment issue. Promptness: It's much better now than it was before in the old office. The new office is beautiful and much more spacious. There are more exam rooms so promptness has definitely improved. The staff is extremely courteous. They really do their best to help me with anything I need, from forms to letters to anything! Great staff! As for diagnosing and treating my issues, Dr. Chen, he's not the best. He freely sent me to get an MRI of my lower back when I only complained about it once. Now, I have a huge bill for my MRI. Didn't even WARN me about bills. I assumed I would actually need the MRI because afterall, he SEEMED like a good doctor. He prescribed me medication and just left the room. I don't even want medication!!! He should at least evaluate my back. I saw a physical therapist and it turns out it's just muscle spasms. As for bedside manner and the amount of time he spends with me, Dr. Chen was very attentive to my needs and very sweet the first couple of times I came to the office. His rudeness grew greatly when I refused to change my insurance to one he suggested. Uhh.... Isn't that illegal? I don't think I will be coming back to his office. He seems to be very biased as to his decision making. I'm a very private person and he doesn't seem to be able to keep mine or other patients matters very private. He doesn't even follow up after my visit. Horrible. These are not the qualities I want in my family doctor. It's a shame because he was so close to my home. I guess, I'm in the search for a better doctor now.

June 18th, 2013
He Needs Better Help
Dr. Chen is a very warm person and an intuitive doctor, but his office staff is utter chaos. Lately every visit I make is an exercise in frustration. The staff makes so many mistakes, and some of those mistakes have cost me money. I'm afraid that one day those mistakes may be about my health. I just don't trust those people any more. Also, his billing services are terrible, and he is way behind in his billing. He needs better help and better organization.

May 5th, 2013
Dr. Chen is an experienced doctor and unselfish hero
Dr. Chen is a very kind person who cares about others over himself. I felt his caring since my first visit to his previous office. I was determined I would refer all my friends to him. According to Chinese newspaper, Dr. Chen had been an experienced cardiologist in one of the top huge hospitals specializing in heart diseases in China before he came to the University of Pennsylvania pursuing further cardiovascular training in 1980’s. During the past decades, he has cured many patients with severe heart diseases and hypertension. He is well known in our community that he can fix severe heart problems. My whole family, my mother, my wife and my children are all Dr. Chen’s patients. My old mother now is bed ridden. Dr. Chen came to home to take care of her. Over the past several years I have referred many of my friends to Dr. Chen. All of them have their problems fixed and they all spoke highly of Dr. Chen. One of them who had severe heart failure told me: “I used to pay a lot to see cardiologists. I was still in very bad shape. I was told I need a heart transplant. Dr. Chen is very compassionate. He spent a lot of time helping me, but only charged me very little. I am in my best shape now. He is the best doctor I have ever seen.” When I told Dr. Chen patient’s remarks, Dr. Chen said: “He has severe heart problem, he does not have insurance and he is not able to work. I am more than happy I am able to help him. I feel much better if I can help a very sick patient than I get rich from a poor sick patient. A person’s value is when people need help you are there to help and you are able to help.” In this world many people only care about themselves and many doctors are busy making money but Dr. Chen cares about his patients more than making money. He is always willing to go extra mile to help his patients. A friend of mine told me he was mistreated and assaulted by the landlord. When he showed Dr. Chen his wound and told Dr. Chen what happened, because his English is not good, Dr. Chen wrote a long letter for him and he won the case. “In the court, judge read the letter and told me, I wish I had a doctor like yours.” Dr. Chen is NYC Disaster Emergency Medical reserve. Whenever there is a disaster, he is there to help. During Hurricane Irene and Sandy, Dr. Chen closed his office and served as a volunteer in a NYC shelter around the clock for many hours until other doctors came to substitute. Then he worked in his office during the day, shelter at night. I helped him to move what he prepared medical to the shelter with his old Honda minivan. I told him: “doctors like to drive Mercedes or BMW, I heard it is tax deductible anyway.” He said: “a car is just a tool for transportation, reliable is enough.” I remember not long ago, I helped him to deliver a big amount of check donated to a local non-profit organization on the way home from his office, but he is very thrift to himself. He uses the cheapest cell phone and briefcase. It seems to me he thought about others, but forgot himself. While other shelters accommodated on an average only 50 evacuees, the shelter Dr. Chen volunteered accommodated 750 in Hurricane Irene and 800 in Hurricane Sandy. When NYC Mayor Bloomberg came to appreciate his dedication and conscientiousness, other volunteers captured the moment and gave the photos to Dr. Chen which are now in his new big office at 83 Avenue O, Brooklyn, steps away from his 1481 old office. I have other examples that Dr. Chen serves as volunteer in the community for the best interests of others and many times I was with him. Dr. Chen is the most caring and unselfish person I ever know. He is my role model. He purifies my heart. I think Dr. Chen should be in the list of American heroes.

March 12th, 2013
Excellent, Knowledgeable General Practitioner
Dr. Chen is an excellent doctor, who advocates for patient health. He does not push expensive tests or medications unless he feels they are absolutely necessary. He takes the time to talk to all of his patients and understand their needs and issues. He will also go to bat for his patients with insurance companies and other medical providers, to make sure his patients receive the best and most appropriate care. I have been his patient for 8 years, first when I lived in Brooklyn, but now even though I live 100 miles away, I still return to Brooklyn for his excellent care. I would recommend Dr. Chen to anyone seeking first rate care in Brooklyn .

August 24th, 2012
I don't know what's with all the positive reviews. I've seen this doctor about 5 times and 2 times he asked me about my sexual history- which is a normal question on a professional level. But because I am a young, Asian American female, he overstepped his professional boundary and asked if the men were Asian. Is that relevant to my health? Absolutely not. He also went on to caution me about safe sex by giving an example of a promiscuous female patient of his who contracted an STI. He did not perform any HIPAA violations by mentioning any identifying information, but I felt patronized. His practice consists of two small rooms, meaning you can hear everything from the waiting room. I went to see him for several things (mysterious hives popping up and tinea versicolor, which was self-diagnosed). I told him about my concerns and that I needed a referral for a dermatologist. He took a glance at my arms and said nothing was wrong and wrote me a referral for the derm and sent me on my way. He didn't even address my mysterious hives nor did he think to refer me to an immunologist (I already one, so I didn't ask). I probably should've asked for the referral after he addressed my concerns, but luckily I know better than to rely on an internist to solve my problems. Once I cash in on my referrals, I'm switching to a new pcp.

December 27th, 2010
Dr. Chen is the best doctor in NYC or in the US
Last night and this morning, our NYC had heaviest snow storm ever. Four wheel drive SUVs were paralyzed on the streets and there were no car service or public transportation. Most stores including pharmacy are all closed. But Dr. Chen still came to his office because he was afraid of his patients who may need him in this bad weather and he wanted to shovel the sidewalk so that pedestrians can walk safely. After I shoveled the snow this morning I felt very uncomfortable so I went to see Dr. Chen. EKG showed I had severe irregular heart beat, acute atrial fibrillation with heart rate 170 and blood pressure 71/57. Dead cars were everywhere blocking the streets and ambulance could not get to the street in such a bad weather. Pharmacy nearby was closed. If I walked to ER in this bad weather, I would have dead already.Dr. Chen is an experienced heart expert who gave me medications whatever he has by mouth. 30 minutes later, my heart rhythm was back to normal sinus. I felt much better.Dr. Chen made me a copy of my EKG tracings. Without Dr. Chens help, my condition could be deteriorated to the critical condition or even death. I cannot help writing this piece right in Dr. Chens office. I cant thank him enough. I am so lucky that we have such an experienced doctor in our community.By all means, his conscientiousness, dedication and excellent superb experience make him the best doctor in NYC or in the US.

October 30th, 2010
The Best MD in Brooklyn
Dr.Chen is my grandfather's primary physician. He goes in the doctor's office when he feels pain or that there's something wrong. Dr. Chen listens to my grandfather and helps him every step of the way. He even shares his lunch with my grandfather when he walks in during lunch hours. He's so generous and kind. Lately, my grandfather had pain in his chest so he quickly went to see Dr. Chen. Dr. Chen realized right away that my grandfather was suffering from a heart attack. He quickly called for an ambulance to bring my grandfather to the hospital, where he got a bypass surgery in his heart. Thank God he's okay. Dr. Chen basically saved him. He knows his stuff. He can give you the trust and care you need. I can guarantee it!

October 15th, 2010
Great Doctor
One of the most compassionate doctors I know. I came near lunchtime, he even offered me to eat lunch with him and his staff. Great doctor