Great Doctor and Team show details Great Doctor and Team
by Billly Ray on Jul 1st, 2016

Excellent service from both Dr. Tanner and his team. His advice is worthy of trust.

by Claudia Rosen on Nov 29th, 2015

Dr Tanner is a WONDERFUL Doctor! He has taken care of me for years and has always made me feel at ease. I am not looking at this computer without glasses and without squinting! He took great care not to rush into any surgery and to make sure my eyes were healthy! Thank you Dr. Tanner ....I refer everyone I know to you!

Terrific Doctor show details Terrific Doctor
by Grace E. Himes on Nov 24th, 2015

Dr. Tanner is a most personable Doctor! He is kind, courteous and explains everything! My recent Visit was my cataract surgery! He told me everything that was going to happen and was so gentle. This was my second eye and I would truly recommend him to anyone. It came out perfect and I couldn't be happier. Thanks so much. Dr. Tanner!

20/20 vision show details 20/20 vision
Nov 20th, 2015

Seven months ago Dr.Tanner operated on me to remove cataracts in both eyes. With his implants, I enjoy 20/20 vision for the first time in many years! I have confidence in his diagnosis, surgical expertise, and appreciate his ability to explain my condition and appropriate treatment.

Easy surgery show details Easy surgery
by Rcallis on Apr 7th, 2015

He did my eye lift surgery and did a great jog.

Outstanding, professional care! show details Outstanding, professional care!
by Captain Bob Stoddert USN (ret) on Mar 21st, 2015

I cannot say enough about this outstanding professional! From being followed as a patient, advised about anticipated eye issues, through outstanding, absolutely painless surgeries, and spectacular results - I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Tanner!

by Alton Van Hedgepeth on Mar 16th, 2015

Dr. Tanner is an excellent doctor and has taken great care of me for several years. He is great with his patients and spends a good amount of time with his patients during office visits. He even called me after office hours to check on me. His receptionist, Angela J is awesome! I would highly recommend Dr. Tanner !

GREAT SERVICE show details GREAT SERVICE
by cornelia & john hughes on Mar 14th, 2015

very pleased with the eye care provided by DR. TANNER GREAT SURGERY AND CARES ABOUT THE PATIENT. THANK YOU VERY MUCH..

Cataract Surgery show details Cataract Surgery
Feb 17th, 2015

I was fitted with an IQ Toric lens in one eye because I have an astigmatism, and a Crystalens in the other. The combination works GREAT!!! I'd forgotten how nice it is to not have to wear glasses, and the Crystalens is gradually giving me better close-up reading ability as time passes.

by Frank Dynes on Feb 11th, 2015

Dr Tanner has been my Doctor of many years and he really does treat you like you his family. I have complete confidence in him and have recommended him to many people who are also very pleased with the care they receive from him.

by Ron on Feb 1st, 2015

very friendly and proficient. Explained things well and made sure my questions were answered.

by Nancy Dunn on Jan 23rd, 2015

I recently had cataract surgery by Dr. Tanner and I now have 20/20 vision. I am 71 years old and no longer need glasses after wearing them for 30 years. Dr. Tanner is an excellent doctor.

by Dot Jones on Jan 20th, 2015

Excellent care - Dr. Tanner came highly recommended, & I've already recommended him to friends

by Rosa on Jan 15th, 2015

I just had my second cataract surgery under Dr. Tanner and could not be more pleased. I can now read 20/20 with no glasses. He let you know everything he it going to do and has a great bedside manner. i would highly recommend him to anyone for great eye care.

SUPERB EYE SURGEON show details SUPERB EYE SURGEON
by GARY GEITHMANN on Dec 30th, 2014

Dr. Tanner and his staff both at HREA and at RIVERSIDE SURGERY/HAMPTON have provided excellent care. I'm a 73 yr old and I've had an astigmatism most of my life. My distance vision was blurring. Dr. Tanner performed cataract surgery and implanted a new lens in both my eyes about a month a part. I'm at 30 days since the 2nd surgery and have almost 20/20 vision and probably won't need glasses ever again.

by Paula Newbill on Dec 23rd, 2014

I cannot begin to express my appreciation of Dr. Tanner and his staff. My office experience has been wonderful with all staff members. However, Dr. Tanner goes above and beyond my expectations. Let me share my story. I have had horrible vision since the time I was in 4th grade. I have always struggle to see. At the age of 35 I was diagnosed with macular degeneration which of course made my vision even worse. Thanks to Dr. Tanner's excellent care over the years, as well as his updated experience in the field of ophthalmology, he has given me my Christmas miracle. For the first time in over 45 years I was able to wake up and see my alarm clock beside my bed. This may not mean much to some but to me it brought tears to my eyes. He worked with my desperate need to have both eyes operated on before I lose my insurance and professionally handled an issue that happened with the surgery center to make sure I was satisfied with the outcome. I got a call on Sunday night before my surgery and to my surprise it was De. Tanner calling to let me know that everything was going to be fine and to answer any questions I had. Dr. Tanner has given me the best Christmas present ever and for that, he will always be in my heart. Thank you to the staff of Dr. Tanner for all their amazing work prior to the surgery!

My surgery with Dr. Tanner show details My surgery with Dr. Tanner
by Mary Coleman on Nov 11th, 2014

I recently had to have cataracts removed from both of my eyes. Dr. Tanner explained the procure of the surgery as well as what to expect after the surgery. He took his time to be sure I understood what would be done. He had a great bedside manner and made the whole experience as pleasant as possible. He also took his time when I had office visits which is very important to a patient.

Good Experience show details Good Experience
by Francis E. Warren on Nov 8th, 2014

Anytime you have surgery there will be some nervousness and I had some but he explained the procedure so I knew what to expect. It was pain free and back to normal activities in no time.

October 2014 show details October 2014
by Janet Eaton on Oct 23rd, 2014

I have been a patient for less than a year with Dr. Tanner. I recently had cataract surgery. One of the nicest things he did was to call me the day before my surgery (Sunday). He listens to what you have to say and during the surgery he told me what was happening,.The process was a breeze and follow ups were done rapidly. This is me man you want to see (excuse the pun) if you need any kind of eye expert.

Ms. show details Ms.
by Betty W on Oct 18th, 2014

Dr, Tanner performed Eye Lid Surgery on both of my eyelids this past summer of 2914. I was a little apprehensive but after my first appointment I felt reassured and more relaxed by him and his staff. I would recommend him to anyone who is considering this type of surgery.

cataract surgery show details cataract surgery
Oct 15th, 2014

Dr Tanner recently completed cataract surgery for me. I now have 20/30 vision in my distance eye and 20/16 in my close eye. I couldn't be more pleased with the result or the doctor.

Patient show details Patient
by Anita Evans on Oct 15th, 2014

When Dr.Tanner became my doctor I had severe Glaucoma in my left eye and cataracts on both eyes. Dr. Tanner asked me to thrust him and he would provide me with the best medical attention and treat me like he would treat his sister or any other family member. I trusted him with my eyes and treatment for my Glaucoma. Several years later I am still a patient of Dr Tanner and just recently under went cataract surgery with both eyes. I am so happy with the results and happy to be able to see again. I am 20/20 vision in both eyes and thankful that someone like Dr Tanner cared about me and my health. Just from my experience with our sessions about treatment and the overall results with my eyes I recommend anyone that mention to me they need to see an eye doctor I STRONGLY RECOMMEND Dr. Gary Tanner, 👍👍

Nervous, Worried - See Dr. Tanner to See the Brightside of Cataract Surgery show details Nervous, Worried - See Dr. Tanner to See the Brightside of Cataract Surgery
by Francis Andrews on Oct 1st, 2014

After having a vitrectomy earlier in 2014, I needed to have cataract surgery in the same eye. Because of my somewhat complicated eye situation, I was concerned about having a second surgery in the same eye in less than 6 months. I was originally sent to a local cataract surgeon. I was not confident nor comfortable with the answers or lack thereof that I was getting from that doctor. I asked my GP doctor and others and was eventually directed to Dr. Tanner. Dr. Tanner answered all my questions, gave me alternatives and helped me make the right choices for me. It gets even better. The night before my scheduled operation, Dr. Tanner personally took the time to call me at home to see if I had any questions of concerns about the upcoming surgery. I've never had any doctor or surgeon do that before. Then, the day of the surgery, when I was checking in, Dr. Tanner came by the front desk and told me exactly what he was going to do and what I was going to feel and not feel. Again in the operation room, Dr. Tanner eased any concern or worry I might have had. 4 Stars for bedside manner? Make that 10 stars!!! Could not have been better!!! Better still, I felt absolutely no pain or discomfort during the operation and none afterwards. Dr. Tanner uses a procedure for cataract surgery that doesn't use stitches, no eye patch and therefore has no scratchy feeling afterwards. On my way home from the operation, I could already see better than I did a few hours earlier. By the next morning, my vision in my operated eye was better than it was now in my old "good" eye. I am ecstatic that I decided to switch to Dr. Tanner and benefit from his tremendous experience (thousands of cataract operations) and his unparalleled bedside manner. If you live in the Central Virginia area and need cataract surgery, don't even think about going to anyone other than Dr. Tanner.

Excellent show details Excellent
by Patricia Fields on Aug 30th, 2014

Very satisfied with Dr. Tanner. Both my husband and myself go to him and we both give him a four star rating.

Cataract surgery show details Cataract surgery
by Kathryn P. on Aug 12th, 2014

I had a really positive experience with my cataract surgery with Dr. Tanner this summer. He was really informative at the appointments leading up to the surgery and answered my questions in terms that made sense to me. He explained the options I had and gave me the chance to make some informed decisions. The surgery itself was quick and, surprisingly, not even painful. Recovery time was quick, too. I am amazed at how great my vision is now and can thank Dr. Tanner's expertise for that.

Excellent Care show details Excellent Care
by Karen E. on Aug 6th, 2014

Wouldn't trust my eyes to anyone else. Dr. Tanner was caring, courteous, and, above, all, thorough in his examination, diagnosis, explanation, and follow-up. He did not rush to perform cataract surgery, preferring to wait until my condition warranted the surgery. He was meticulous in making sure that my outcome would be a good one. He has also treated my diabetic husband, successfully operating on his cataracts and also diabetic anomalies. We both happily recommend Dr. Tanner to our friends.

RN show details RN
Aug 5th, 2014

Treats me like family. Always takes the time to talk to me and answer questions. Great doctor

Great Doctor show details Great Doctor
by Mary Batten-Bland on Aug 1st, 2014

Eyesight is precious. As a writer and editor, I depend on my eyes for my livelihood, and I depend on my eye doctor to help protect my vision. I feel extremely fortunate to have Dr. Gary A. Tanner of Hampton Roads Eye Associates as my ophthalmologist. I’ve been going to Dr. Tanner for several years and he has always given me wise counsel and effective treatment. Dr. Tanner has several characteristics that I look for in a doctor: He listens to my questions and answers them in terms I can understand; he’s forthright and takes a preventative approach to deal with problems that may arise. With all that, he also has a delightful sense of humor. Recently Dr. Tanner performed cataract surgery on my eyes. I followed his advice in choice of lens and I am thrilled with the results. He’s the best!

How Fortunate show details How Fortunate
by Judi R. on Jul 30th, 2014

Once in awhile in the busy life so many of us seem to have we are fortunate to come across someone who really cares about what he does and what he can do for you. Enter into my life--Dr. Tanner. The care I received from Dr. Tanner was beyond simple words. His professional manner was so evident in the way EVERYTHING was explained to me and yet his truly caring manner was quite evident in nothing more that a simple phone call the night before surgery asking "do you have any questions" and saying "you know we will take good care of you". His entire staff makes you feel as if you are the most important person in the realm of the patient world. Thank you Dr. Tanner for your professionalism, your caring, and your tremendous skill. You truly are one of the best!!

Professional show details Professional
Jun 11th, 2014

Dr. Tanner performed cataract surgery on me recently. I have great results, and was always treated in a professional and courteous manner by him and all his staff. I would recommend Dr. Tanner and his office to anyone.

Thanks Dr. Tanner show details Thanks Dr. Tanner
by Linda Hamlet on Apr 29th, 2014

I am a patient of Dr. Tanner. I had Cataract Surgery on both eyes. When I started this journey, I could not see from the back of the church to the front. I would like to thank Dr. Tanner and his staff for the excellent care they provided for me. I have never had a doctor call me at home before surgery to assure me that he was going to take good care of me. He made me feel so special. His office staff and the surgical staff are always pleasant and professional. If you are looking for an excellent eye dr./surgeon call Dr. Tanner's office and make an appointment. P.S. I now have 20/20 vision!

RN show details RN
by Sally T. on Apr 8th, 2014

Excellent patient care by staff and Dr Tanner. ..will recommend to my friends and family.

Businesslike, Extremely Competent, Excellent Results from Cataract Surgery show details Businesslike, Extremely Competent, Excellent Results from Cataract Surgery
by F.W S. III on Feb 11th, 2014

When dealing with something as precious as eyesight, I value competence above all else. I have not been disappointed with Dr. Tanner. His manner is rather direct, as is that of some of his staff. However he took the time to get me to understand the need for cataract surgery, when I was genuinely frightened of the prospect. He completed the second procedure recently and for the first time in 60 years, I have 20-20 eyesight in both eyes. I'll happily accept a no-nonsense manner for results like that.

A wonderful eye doctor - Dr. Tanner show details A wonderful eye doctor - Dr. Tanner
by Sonia on Feb 8th, 2014

He is a wonderful eye doctor - Dr. Tanner. If you have eye sight problem, let him take care of yours. My eyes were almost blind, and he did surgery for my eyes in 2008. I'm so thankful.

orderly show details orderly
by Thomas W Cottrell on Dec 26th, 2013

Dr. Tanner run a very professional office. You feel at home as soon as you enter the office. Dr. Tanner is very professional in his work habits and at the same time make you feel relaxed and comfortable. As far as his work he can't be beat. I have never had any kind of medical treatment that I was so happy and pleased with as I did my eyes afterDr. Tanner did my surgery. I'll like to say THANKS Dr. Tanner for giving me my sight back.

Outstanding show details Outstanding
by Brooklyn on Dec 19th, 2013

Dr. Tanner is such a people person. He put me at ease about my cataract surgery. He was informative and walked me through the procedure from beginning to end before the surgery. The staff at both the office and the surgery center were the absolute best. I was so happy that a friend put me in touch with him. I am absolutely thrilled with my outcome. If I would have known how much clearer I could see, I would have done this years ago. Thank you Dr. Tanner, you are my eyes hero.

Dec 18th, 2013

I've been going to Dr. Tanner since he joined Hampton Roads Eye Associates. He has a straight-forward, no nonsense approach, but he also has a sense of humor. He has been right on the mark with diagnoses & treatments, delivering the results he said he would deliver. I very recently underwent 2 cataract surgeries and am amazed at the difference in my vision. I'm young to need cataract surgery & felt he helped me make a well-informed choice to give me the best vision possible. I am extremely pleased with the results and Dr. Tanner's care.

Dec 5th, 2013

Very satisfied!

Excellent MD show details Excellent MD
by Dianna H. on Oct 3rd, 2013

I have and will continue to recommend Dr. Gary Tanner to anyone who will listen and who needs and wants a really caring doctor. He is always concerned with YOUR health first and the care you receive from his staff. AND his STAFF- they are just and concerned with your health as he is. The "team" works very well together and are always in a good mood. Every visit that I have been too has been a pleasant one. Thank you Dr. Tanner and TEAM !!!!

I'm Ecstatic! show details I'm Ecstatic!
by Linda K. on Aug 27th, 2013

I am so happy that I chose Dr. Tanner! He performed cataract surgery on both of my eyes...the last one just yesterday. Dr. Tanner went way out of his way to ensure I had the best lens to achieve the best vision possible. He kept "crunching the numbers" right up until the day before my surgery and found a better solution for me. On a Sunday, he located a difficult to find lens for my unusual right eye. On Monday morning, he did the surgery. This morning, I am ecstatic that I can not only see in the distance but can read as well. For me this seems like a miracle...I am 64 years old and for the first time in my life I can see and read without the aid of glasses or contacts. Thank you Dr. Tanner...you are my hero!

by Henry L. Piland on May 24th, 2013

Dr. Gary Tanner has been excellent to work with on my vision exams and problems. He is an excellent listener and has never rushed through any appointment I have had with him. He explains things in terms I can understand. The surgeries I have had were all successful. I believe the many diverse patients he treated as a military doctor provided him with great in-site that most doctors do not have with their patients. Dr. Tanner's staff is great. Most of the staff I have worked with have been with him several years. They are very knowledgeable . My wife recently transferred to Dr. Tanner from another doctor.. She is also pleased .I have several friends who are also his patients. I have recommended him to several others which is something I do not usually do.

Highly recommended show details Highly recommended
by Richard Y. on May 14th, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. Tanner since he took over for Dr. Moore, who retired. He has always been friendly and professional and concerned about my eyesight. I have just finished my cataract surgery on both eyes and could not be happier. I had very thick glasses and had worn them since I was 9. I now have great vision and will not have to wear glasses for distance . I could not be happier and would recommend him to anyone.

Now I see! show details Now I see!
by Shirley Rapier on May 9th, 2013

Before my cataract surgery was scheduled Dr. Tanner explained everything very well - why I needed the surgery, options regarding the replacement lenses, the surgery process, and what I should expect after the surgery, including anything that could possibly go wrong. He never talked down to me and was as pleased as I was with the good outcome. Now, one month after the surgery on the second eye, I am thrilled every morning when I wake up and can see so well. My only "complaint" about the entire process would be the time it took up, missing two entire days of work for the surgery on the two eyes plus pre- and post-operative visits for him to check my eyes. I will gain that time back, though, saving a few minutes every day since I no longer need to put in and take out my contact lenses.

Outstanding! show details Outstanding!
by Sykes, Marvin P. on Mar 26th, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. Tanner since he took over for Dr. Moore, who retired. He has always been friendly and professional and has given me the utmost care. I have just finished my cataract surgery on both eyes and could not be happier. I had very thick glasses and had worn them since I was 11. I now have great vision and will not have to wear glasses for either distance or reading. I could not be happier and would recommend him to anyone. Keep up the good work, Dr. Tanner!

Satisfied Patient show details Satisfied Patient
by Lydia C on Mar 3rd, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr Tanner for 6 years. I have had cataract surgery on both eyes with no complications and am free from wearing glasses. Dr Tanner is a compassionate, capable and professional doctor; friendly with a good personality. I highly recommend him.

Cataract Surgery show details Cataract Surgery
by Barbara Sanders on Feb 26th, 2013

Three years ago I needed cataract surgery. As years roll on, you come to relize just how important your sight is and how related it is to your mobility. Dr. Tanner explained the surgery in words that were understandable. I have complete confidence in Dr. Tanner. Which proved to be founded as I received great care, Dr. Tanner has a great sense of humor. Which helped with a nervous Nellie like me. No complication, no glasses and NO WAY would I trust anyone else with my eyes. I am 79 years and I read without glasses!!!!!!!

corporate trainer for Symantec Corporation show details corporate trainer for Symantec Corporation
by Connie Hoover on Feb 23rd, 2013

Gary did an excellent job of evaluating my condition, providing the surgery, and the after-surgery attention needed for me to have my problem solved. I was 100 percent satisfied with my treatment and would highly recommend him to anyone.

excellent surgeon show details excellent surgeon
by Eileen Chadis Wood on Feb 3rd, 2013

Dr. tanner performed cataract surgery on both my 91 year old mother and myself. excellent results both times. He was very considerate about our being scared in the surgery. He comforted us and made sure I was given enough medicine to keep us calm during the surgery. post op follow up was excellent. I have gone from trifocals to no glasses at all.

Nov 6th, 2012

I have been very happy with the care I received at Dr. Tanners office. The nurses and technicians are courteous and perfessional. All my questions are answer with straight forward answers. I just had cateract surgery performed by Dr. Tanner and it was a very successful. I would recommend Dr. Tanner for all your eye care.

AWESOME EXPERIENCE show details AWESOME EXPERIENCE
Oct 3rd, 2012

I had been wearing glasses for over 50 years and my vision we getting consistently worse. I was told over the years surgery wouldn't help my situation. Dr. Tanner changed all of this for me and now I only wear lite glasses to read. I have to admit I was nervous about surgery but with the explanations and reassurance I got from Dr. Tanner I was comfortable making the decision to have the surgery. The results is nothing short of a miracle and my quality of life will be so much better. Thank You Dr.Tanner and your staff.

I am grateful for Dr. Tanner show details I am grateful for Dr. Tanner
Aug 29th, 2012

It must be gratifying to go to work every day where you perform miracles for your patients. I have had both eyes operated on by Dr. Tanner. I now have 20/20 vision. I had worn glasses for 50 years. It is amazing to do life without glasses. I also appreciate the time Dr. Tanner gives to his patients. He never seems in a hurry. He not only takes the time to answer my questions, but also to answer the questions I should have asked. I recommend him without any reservation.

Excellent doctor show details Excellent doctor
Jul 9th, 2012

I cannot say enough about Dr. Tanner. I have had cataract surgery that was high risk. He was wonderful. He explained the problems and all possible outcomes to me before the surgery, explained exactly what he was going to do beforehand, was very honest and very professional. I would highly recommend him to anyone and have personally recommended him to friends.

my opinion show details my opinion
May 24th, 2012

I had implants done this year and have been very pleased with the results. All the Medical staff were very informative and made the procedure go off without a hitch.

Feb 10th, 2012

Dr. Tanner has a professional yet caring manner about him. His surgical skills are excellent. He also explains things throughly, while maintaining a sense of humor when appropriate. We highly recommend him for your opthamology needs.

Feb 1st, 2012

My experience with Dr Tanner is the greatest. He is a top notch physician.I would recomand him to my friends.Itrusted him with my eyes, now I see things I have not seen in a while.

Dec 18th, 2011

I have referred 5 people to Dr. Tanner, all of whom are completely satisfied with him. What a great compliment to Dr. Tanner. He is extremely caring.

Judy L. show details Judy L.
Nov 17th, 2011

No eye exam for 10 years before my first visit to Dr.Tanner; comfortable if busy surroundings, staff was(and continues to be) great. Overall experience was wonderful! Cataract surgery on 10/3/11 was a breeze, nothing to worry about. Dr. Tanner himself called me the day before, answered any questions I had. Post-surgery, nothing is left to chance; these foks have it all covered! I would recommend him to everyone!

Jonnie show details Jonnie
Nov 17th, 2011

My experience at HREA and with Dr. Gary Tanner was amazing. The entire staff as well as Dr Tanner were both professional and caring. Wait time is understandable because of having eyes dropped and0or measured. I felt taking that into consideration, wait time was fine. Dr. Tanner did surgery on both eyes (on separate days). Wanted right eye measured again, felt they could get a better measurement. Called me the evening before the first surgery to see if I had any questions. Hospital called the day after to see how I was doing. Also, called a month after. I have very bad eye sight as I was born premature and have worn glasses or contacts since I was six. HREA was able to fix my eyes so that I now can read on a 20/20 scale. Something that has never been achieved before with glasses or contact. Dr. Tanner and his staff are my heroes!

james m show details james m
Nov 15th, 2011

Was very pleased with my experience with Dr Tanner.He wa svery professional,did not rush me through,answered all my questions and did a great job on my eye.I would recommend him to anyone with eye problems,young or old alike.Why cant all Dotcors be this caring.

Aug 1st, 2011

very caring and professional

spouse of patient show details spouse of patient
Aug 10th, 2010

My husband had cataract surgery, so I was there for a lot of the appointments. The wait rating is typical of this practice, not just Dr. Tanner. I go as well for eye exams. Regarding "bedside manner (caring)" let me just say that after my husband had his measurements taken for the surgery, Dr. Tanner called on SATURDAY to let him know he wasn't comfortable with results and he wanted him to come back in the next week to get remeasured. He apologized for the inconvenience. The SUNDAY before surgery next day he called to see if my husband had any questions. On Monday before surgery he came out to the waiting room and personally spoke with each patient before they came back. At the follow up appointment he told my husband that his vision following the surgery was so good that even though he was scheduled to remove the cataract in the other eye in 2 weeks that he didn't think he needed it done at this time. That he could probably wait another 2 or 3 years. These actions tell me he's a caring doctor more concerned with the patient than the business of medicine. When I need to go to an opthamologist, he'll be my choice.

Aug 2nd, 2010

I waited about 5 min for the initial evaluation by techs/nurses and then another 30 min for my eyes to dilate to see the doctor