Surgical Specialist

2345 Chesterfield Ave
Ste 203
Charleston, WV 25304
304-352-2112
Locations and availability (4)

|  Excellent physician  |  show details
by Beth on Feb 19th, 2014

Dr. Cousins performed surgery on a very important lady in my life who is 91 years old. He told us later when he saw her age on the chart he figured he wouldn't be able to operate but to the surprise of many she was a good candidate. The morning of surgery he told me he was planning to do the video assisted surgery therefore preventing the need to spread and crack the ribs, which causes a longer and more painful recovery. I was surprised and very excited. After surgery he came out and told me the tumor was quite a bit larger than he expected and I was waiting for him to tell me he had to do the more involved procedure but he had managed to remove it using the less invasive method. Later I told him how excited I was and I couldn't believe he was able to do it without breaking her ribs since the tumor was larger. He looked at me and said with great sincerity, "I told you I would do it so I knew I had to do it." He didn't want to disappoint us so even tho the surgery took longer and he had to work much harder he did it because he really cared. Dr. Cousins exceeded the standard of care and because of his determination to do the less invasive surgery her recovery was much easier. His bedside manner was excellent and he visited often during her hospital stay. I highly recommend Dr. Cousins and I'd certainly want to be his patient if I'm ever in need of his speciality. Thank you, Doc. My dear friend and I appreciate your efforts and kindness. I have a feeling you will know which patient I'm talking about and who wrote this you probably already know how grateful we are. So many times only the dissatisfied people post reviews but I believe it's important to share positive experiences and this one was positive for sure.

|  Wonderful  |  show details
Mar 19th, 2013

Dr.Cousins is awesome! Couldn't have asked for a better doctor for my mother.He did open heart surgery on my mother oct-2012 and she's feeling better than ever! He's very personable and spent as much time as we needed explaining her condition and how to go about it,would definitely recommend him.

|  Wow!  |  show details
Sep 22nd, 2011

This guy is amazing. Three years ago, he performed an emergency repair and graft on my rupturing aorta that took 7 hours, but I've been fine ever since. I'm told by other cardiovascular specialists that, for major aorta repairs, you use Cousins or the Cleveland Clinic. Period.

|  Simply the Best  |  show details
by Reba Dotson on Feb 2nd, 2009

I firmly believe I am alive today because of Dr. Cousins skill and compassion. I couldn't ask for a better doctor or a more caring one